MM7's are here

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Kevin and Jonathan Tinn, his partner with Evolution Acoustics, arrived at my home Monday night and with the planned technical set-up for the MM7's starting Tuesday morning we listened to 'mostly' vinyl until almost 2 am to get a base line for where things were before the work.

Kevin started in on the set-up process Tuesday morning around 9am or so; first setting up his tools for his measuring protocol, and then measuring things. he spent all day with this process of measurements and listening. moving the speakers and repeating the process. 4-5 years prior, when i had my MM3's, i had supplied Kevin with room plans and room measurements, and at that time he plotted out 12 potential speaker positions for the room. so he had already crunched the numbers before for the room. he did meticulously measure the actual dimensions of the room......which for my room with all the bumps and built in diffusion is difficult since almost no parallel walls exist.

i came home for lunch to see what was going on, and mostly it was white noise and grimacing.

i returned after work and they were still hard at it. then Jonathan, my wife, a friend and myself went to dinner and Kevin kept going with the process. we returned about 9pm (with some food for Kevin) and Kevin had just sat down to start listening.....he was done. Kevin went in the house to eat his food and we sat down and started listening. we ended up listening until 12:30pm.

before i get into my initial perceptions i want to mention that I'm not going to get into details on Kevin's methodology. first; i don't sufficiently comprehend it to properly explain it. second; it is his personal process and not mine to share. I'm not saying there are secrets about it, but that is for Kevin to deal with. if one gets ahold of the owner's manual for the Evolution Acoustics MM2/MM3 there are explanations there for some of his design philosophy and detail on how the speaker adjustments work.

it's now Wednesday evening; Kevin got on his plane.....Jonathan on his train, and i have been listening for 4 hours tonight in a relaxed way with my go-to records and enjoying myself.

i was already pretty stoked at what i had been hearing prior to this visit; but we have gone to another level now. the speakers have ended up in essentially the same place they were to begin with, although tweaked in exact positioning, as was my listening position essentially in the same place. that original position was based on Kevin's original spot for the MM3's.....so that is not any accident.

what's different? and by what degree?

it's rounder, like music.....less hifi. the music projects further into the room....more holographic. there is more impact and articulation both in the bass and simply more energy behind each note. there is greater tonal weight and tonal richness. there is more detail and textural nuance. there is better delineation of musical threads in the soundstage.....so easy to follow the flow. harmonic complexity is more life like. the music stands up and moves me with greater forward thrust, flows better. things are tighter and more focused. every improvement is in an area where i had previously considered it already superior. so this is about increased degrees of goodness.

the emotional content of the music has risen perceptibly. it's more alive and real. it gets into your body and moves you. the increased musical connection really hit me on a few of the cuts, one in particular is the Beethoven Later Quartets (Philips Lp) by Quartetto Italiano. that increase in the tonal richness, roundness and energy just pushed all my buttons. wow!!! mikey likey.

these individual changes are all a little more than subtle, but less than profound changes......in and of themselves. but considering where it already was to my ears, in total it's a big step up toward the ideal ultimate musical immersion.

how can 4 huge 7' tall towers, weighing approx. 700 pounds each (2800 pounds total...in room), sound so coherent and fully disappear? impressive. how can they sound as big as a huge concert hall, or as intimate as a small jazz club? amazing!

these thoughts are after 4+ hours of listening at my pace. we will see how I'm feeling in a week or so. it has been a long road to get to this place in my audio path. I'm very happy (ecstatic actually) but trying to stay grounded and be open minded. we will see whether coming back fresh to this every day for a week with uncover any niggles.

thank you Kevin and Jonathan for this fantastic product and your considerable efforts to get it optimized in my room.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic news...all this from expert finetuning of placement by the designer himself and without component upgrades or other things. Enjoy!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Fantastic news...all this from expert finetuning of placement by the designer himself and without component upgrades or other things. Enjoy!

thanks Lloyd.

i'll point out that in this case 'set-up' fine-tuning involves 4 main different adjustments.

optimal speaker placement of both towers for time alignment (the MM7 is a time and phase aligned design) and coherency for maximum wave form dynamics and impact, including laser alignment.

listener position placement.

adjustment of 4 different controls on each of -4- '2 active subwoofer' pair; 16 individual adjustments. each tower has a top pair and bottom pair, each with it's own 4 adjusters.

adjustment of the tweeter gain control on the main towers. full on for this adjustment is flat.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Mike, how many times have Kevin been to your room since October 2012?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, how many times have Kevin been to your room since October 2012?

this is the one and only time Kevin Malmgren has been in my room.

I've visited Kevin in his home in San Diego twice; once in August of 2006 when he was completing the design and crossover of the MM3's prior to it's launch, and another time in March of 2012 when he was completing the final voicing of the crossover of the MM7's. I first met Kevin, who also designed the Von Schweikert VR9SE and VR11SE (and other Von Schweikert speakers), in 2005 at RMAF when he was with Von Schweikert. at that time I owned VR9SE's.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Mike,
Nice to read about the improvements in your system. Just two questions - considering there were almost no overall changes in positioning what type of adjustments were mainly carried? Also did you also use digital for checking setup?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
this is the one and only time Kevin Malmgren has been in my room.

I've visited Kevin in his home in San Diego twice; once in August of 2006 when he was completing the design and crossover of the MM3's prior to it's launch, and another time in March of 2012 when he was completing the final voicing of the crossover of the MM7's. I first met Kevin, who also designed the Von Schweikert VR9SE and VR11SE (and other Von Schweikert speakers), in 2005 at RMAF when he was with Von Schweikert. at that time I owned VR9SE's.

So it sounds as if Albert had little to do with the design of the 9s or the 11s...?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So it sounds as if Albert had little to do with the design of the 9s or the 11s...?

according to my understanding, Albert trained Kevin on how to use the software for the design, and likely looked over his shoulder a fair amount. kevin is an accomplished musician and artist, so brought his own talents to the equation.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
Nice to read about the improvements in your system. Just two questions - considering there were almost no overall changes in positioning what type of adjustments were mainly carried? Also did you also use digital for checking setup?

i was not in the room for any of the measuring or adjusting....except for a few minutes at lunch time and briefly in the evening. i listed the 4 areas of adjustment in the post above; those are the things that were adjusted. as far as location in the room; like i wrote the speakers were already in the spot that was considered to be most ideal from prior investigations from the room design plans.

so.....the primary changes that Kevin made had to do with those adjustments to the 4 different subwoofer pairs and precise acoustic positioning relative to the room and listening position.

they had the turntable ready for use during the set-up, but i think it was mostly digital thru the server and discs, and pink noise that was used for set-up and listening. when i was there i only heard pink noise.

listening later that night included digital references i have used for many years.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations Mike. I fully appreciate what proper speaker and listener seat positions can do to improve the sound of one's system. And this can mean the very precise use of a laser device for exact placement and symmetry. Kevin's methodology, or at least the results, sound very similar to what I experienced three years ago with a similar service.

Jim Smith flew to Boston and voiced my system. The improvements are very much like what you describe in your write-up. Though my system is much simpler, having no speaker adjustments or subwoofers, Jim did spend the prior evening listening to his music through his DAC and server to get a base line. He then entered the room around 9:00AM just as Kevin did in your room, and he did not emerge until he was fully satisfied with the sound, some eleven hours later. I was in there with him the whole time and learned a lot.

In very simplified terms, the sound of my system improved mostly in the areas of Tone, Dynamics and Presence - the three areas that Jim emphasizes in his writings. As I learned, and you are now experiencing, proper placement (and adjustments in your case) create a condition in which the speakers can demonstrate their full potential. They can now work properly in the particular room setting.

I especially like your description of the sound becoming rounder and moving forward to fill the room more completely. That is precisely what happened in my system. On the best recordings, the experience went from listening to a performance passively, to being fully engaged and having the performer in the room with me. Quite remarkable, really.

You must be extremely pleased. Please keep up informed of your growing impressions as you have time to acclimate yourself to the new sound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i was not in the room for any of the measuring or adjusting....except for a few minutes at lunch time and briefly in the evening. i listed the 4 areas of adjustment in the post above; those are the things that were adjusted. as far as location in the room; like i wrote the speakers were already in the spot that was considered to be most ideal from prior investigations from the room design plans.

so.....the primary changes that Kevin made had to do with those adjustments to the 4 different subwoofer pairs and precise acoustic positioning relative to the room and listening position.

they had the turntable ready for use during the set-up, but i think it was mostly digital thru the server and discs, and pink noise that was used for set-up and listening. when i was there i only heard pink noise.

listening later that night included digital references i have used for many years.

Thanks - you are a lucky man for having the speaker designer coming to adjust your speakers to your room and system. I can imagine that you have now photographed or registered every setting to the smallest detail.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks - you are a lucky man for having the speaker designer coming to adjust your speakers to your room and system. I can imagine that you have now photographed or registered every setting to the smallest detail.

Great idea for future reference, though I'm confident that the four 700 lb speakers will not likely move much by accident. Mike, what kind of footers do you use under the four towers?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

trained dealer setup for other high end speakers is certainly a positive thing; or even when national sales managers show up to set up some speakers is also cool, but having the actual designer do the set-up is about as good as it gets especially with a speaker system that is so adjustable to begin with. i do feel lucky.....as do other North American MM7 owners who recieve that same treatment.

i have a preprinted chart with my exact adjustments.....but no one touches those dials.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Great idea for future reference, though I'm confident that the four 700 lb speakers will not likely move much by accident. Mike, what kind of footers do you use under the four towers?

exactly; these speakers don't move unless someone strong is pushing while someone else strong is pulling. and that is with my Wave Kinetics 2NS decoupling footers which are flat on the bottom and will slide on my composite wood floor over concrete.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations Mike. I fully appreciate what proper speaker and listener seat positions can do to improve the sound of one's system. And this can mean the very precise use of a laser device for exact placement and symmetry. Kevin's methodology, or at least the results, sound very similar to what I experienced three years ago with a similar service.

Jim Smith flew to Boston and voiced my system. The improvements are very much like what you describe in your write-up. Though my system is much simpler, having no speaker adjustments or subwoofers, Jim did spend the prior evening listening to his music through his DAC and server to get a base line. He then entered the room around 9:00AM just as Kevin did in your room, and he did not emerge until he was fully satisfied with the sound, some eleven hours later. I was in there with him the whole time and learned a lot.

In very simplified terms, the sound of my system improved mostly in the areas of Tone, Dynamics and Presence - the three areas that Jim emphasizes in his writings. As I learned, and you are now experiencing, proper placement (and adjustments in your case) create a condition in which the speakers can demonstrate their full potential. They can now work properly in the particular room setting.

I especially like your description of the sound becoming rounder and moving forward to fill the room more completely. That is precisely what happened in my system. On the best recordings, the experience went from listening to a performance passively, to being fully engaged and having the performer in the room with me. Quite remarkable, really.

You must be extremely pleased. Please keep up informed of your growing impressions as you have time to acclimate yourself to the new sound.

thanks Peter; i know you have written in the past about how highly you regard Jim Smith and the effect his work had on your system. having great high performance gear is one thing; but room and speaker optimization is the difference between good and great. it's all about execution....we agree on that. it takes a special sort of very particular and talented person to do this type of work.

i am feeling very very good about the whole process.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Some fun pics off my iPhone from Mike's House.

Kevin Dialing In Left Sub-woofer Tower:

MM7 Kevin Setup.jpg

Rear View Right Channel:

MM7 Rear Up Corner.jpg

Front View Right Channel:

MM7 Up Corner.jpg

Front View Right Channel:

MM7 Up Front.jpg

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Kevin also went to my friend Andrew's house to "set-up" his MM3's. He told me all about it last night....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing