Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

if you do keep all speakers just know that the cone surface area does someting while not active and alter your listening experience

Reactions: PeterA
if you do keep all speakers just know that the cone surface area does someting while not active and alter your listening experience
I had better sell Vaugn Cabernett II speaker which was a back up for Lansche 4.1.

It give pretty good sound with nice Accuton ceramic driver and high efficiency(Spec 94db/w) suitable for tube amp.

It was more about how the other speaker surfaces move, shorting the speakers not in use already makes a difference, removing unused speakers is best ;-)

It was more about how the other speaker surfaces move, shorting the speakers not in use already makes a difference, removing unused speakers is best ;-)

My Vaughn Cabernett II speaker still sounds excellent with pin point imaging in 3D space.

If somebody want it, please PM me. ;)

I am ready to part with it at reasonable price.

Last edited:
I also loaded similar information on other audio forum.

Another person could not have Altec A7 because of WAF.

Personally I'd love to have a pair of Altec A7's or something similar with tube amps in my living room system, but I'm married and plan to stay that way. Something about the presence and immediacy of these systems makes them so engaging.
The previous owner of my Altec A7 had to sell this because of WAF.

After renovation of beautiful house in West Vancuouver BC overlooing down town and bay, his wife want to have neat looking modern speakers in their living room.

But A7 rocks with suitable source and amplifier although it may look like a big refrigerator box.

I also loaded similar information on other audio forum.

Another person could not have Altec A7 because of WAF.

The previous owner of my Altec A7 had to sell this because of WAF.

After renovation of beautiful house in West Vancuouver BC overlooing down town and bay, his wife want to have neat looking modern speakers in their living room.

But A7 rocks with suitable source and amplifier although it may look like a big refrigerator box.

is your wify back yet?

or shes seen this thread and aint coming back … ?

Choices choices choices …

is your wify back yet?

or shes seen this thread and aint coming back … ?

Choices choices choices …
81ObQmSknUL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My angel wife was back last weekend and helped me to put those pucks under A7. :)

It helps to reduce resonation little bit.

Although she liked the sound out of A7, she was not attracted to its appearance.:cool:

Since she had been away spending most of her time to take care of her ailing 90 years old mom, she did not complain too much.

Last edited:
Another interesting story about WAF.

My local dealer who builds custom speakers once had a customer order a gigantic horn system (the size would be equivalent to standing two Smart Cars on their bumpers). The new owner was not home when they were delivered, but, he made arrangements for the dealer to do the installation while he was not there. This required renting a small tractor to move the speakers through the back yard. While the speakers were being set up, the wife came home, took one look and went back up stairs. When she came back down, she had two suitcases packed and told the dealer to tell her husband that she was not coming home until the speakers were out of the house. The owner made a deal to have the dealer take back the speakers. As it tuned out, the prospective owner and his wife were divorced within the year, so it appears the owner made a bad choice when it came to his wife's ultimatum.

I am lucky to have an angel wife.:D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MarcelNL
if that is how a relation works you're better off without it.,,

I was actually referring to the relation in the story you referred to...before you editing your post ;-)

Even spending should not be an isssue IMHO, things go both ways.

View attachment 83274

My angel wife was back last weekend and helped me to put those pucks under A7. :)

It helps to reduce resonation little bit.

Although she liked the sound out of A7, she was not attracted to its appearance.:cool:

Since she had been away spending most of her time to take care of her ailing 90 years old mom, she did not complain too much.

wow. Understanding wify and a7. Doesnt get any better.

Reactions: thomask
Reality is most audiophile have difficulty in relation with their wife about spending too much money on audio systems.
Not sure if it’s the money or the “ruining” of “their” kingdom with what they perceive as ugly “toys for boys”...

Or is it because in a brief audit of hobbys vs relationships it’s about where we are edging in to being unfaithful in spending so much of our time involved in a very particular, singular, strange and deeply inaccessible passion involving both music and toys :eek: and completely just loving it :)

download (11).jpg

download (10).jpg

if one want Altec with double bass drivers then this one is available at Audiogon

It has 103db/w efficiency, 6 db higher than A7 so that it is easier to drive by smal power SET amp.

Also it is supposed to be positined at corner, thus better WAF ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing