Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

View attachment 83568

View attachment 83569

if one want Altec with double bass drivers then this one is available at Audiogon

It has 103db/w 6 db higher than A7 so easier to drive by smal power SET amp.

Also it is supposed to be at corner, thus better WAF ;)
Awesome.double bass drivers is great.

Reactions: thomask
View attachment 83568

View attachment 83569

if one want Altec with double bass drivers then this one is available at Audiogon

It has 103db/w efficiency, 6 db higher than A7 so that it is easier to drive by smal power SET amp.

Also it is supposed to be positined at corner, thus better WAF ;)
steam the outside of the horn with blu tak kneading, you'll be blown away by how good it sounds afterwards. Don't worry, you can easily get it off again if you don't like it. the clay is permanently elastic.

14079655091_32d7e14189_o.jpg

View attachment 83201

I added this Fostex supertweeter to Altec A7

I had kept them for 20 years since I had used to supplement for full range speakers.

They sound much more open and extended with nice decay. ;)

maybe this and a better crossover is a better route than faffing about with expensive horn drivers …

Personally, im amazed how much i got out of upgrading the xovers on my tannoys.

Just my 2c

maybe this and a better crossover is a better route than faffing about with expensive horn drivers …

Personally, im amazed how much i got out of upgrading the xovers on my tannoys.

Just my 2c
I agree that changing network is a next step.

The only problem is that some new network design of A7 skip variable attenuator.

But for the time being, I would like to keep option of variable attenuator.

has anyone heard of Westlake Speakers.?

• Love
Reactions: Verdier
View attachment 83568

View attachment 83569

It has 103db/w efficiency, 6 db higher than A7 so that it is easier to drive by smal power SET amp.

Also it is supposed to be positined at corner, thus better WAF ;)
Shipping to the UK is the issue, could double to price.

has anyone heard of Westlake Speakers.?
I looked at them (for Ayon Spitfire 4 ohm 30W/stereo SET integrated), and unfortunately the impedance listed as 4 ohm (with drops to 2 ohms I think) which even at >90 db sens might be a problem for my little SET? Any experts out there?

I looked at them (for Ayon Spitfire 4 ohm 30W/stereo SET integrated), and unfortunately the impedance listed as 4 ohm (with drops to 2 ohms I think) which even at >90 db sens might be a problem for my little SET? Any experts out there?
Might work as Ayons have good grunt. I had the Crossfire III, Spark and Helios and all sound a lot more powerful than their rating.

@thomask Good day to you !
which preamp are you using when you’re not using the Freya ? I started using the Freya+ again, For now. I love the versatility and seem to use passive mode the most. Thanks.

the 2 ohms are not the problem they have 98dB / 1watt. but the complex crossover robs the power of your set amps.
westlake.jpgwestlake2.jpg

that why in the Video 100W Set amp plays

@thomask Good day to you !
which preamp are you using when you’re not using the Freya ? I started using the Freya+ again, For now. I love the versatility and seem to use passive mode the most. Thanks.
Somehow my Freya+ stopped working. I have to check whether it is because I had run out of battery in remote control or not.

Good to hear that you enjoy Freya+ again. :)

Somehow my Freya+ stopped working. I have to check whether it is because I had run out of battery in remote control or not.

Good to hear that you enjoy Freya+ again. :)
Thanks ! The small hole in the back of the remote will pop out The display and access to the battery.
I have another linestage on order.. but I will hang onto the freya as well..

Reactions: thomask
That’s because he told his wife they cost $750 and in his case it was actually true. Honesty is always the best policy. And those speakers will always go up in value.
Reality is my wife had been away to take care of her ailing old mom for the last three years.

She drops back home for one day every week or two.

Thus I had to cook my food, do laundry, cleaning house all by myself. :(

Otherwise she would have given objection to putting big box speaker on the second floor(our living room).

_DSC1462pet-2 (1)audio33.jpg

I can put anything I want at the listeing room on the third floor but it seems to be a little bit too tight for A7.( 16ft wide and 18 ft long 15 ft high).

Even Lansche 4.1 seems to sound better on the second floor.

But after my mom in law pass away( she may live a year or two more) , I may have to move my audio system back to third floorn unless i make a big gift to my wife.;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Addicted to hifi

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing