Modern speakers vs Vintage speakers

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
That’s what I figured. I have heard a few GIP speakers over the past few years and they are certainly very nice. When I was selecting a compression driver to use in my midrange horns, I compared 3 drivers in my horns on the same speaker system during a long afternoon—-GIP 555W, a vintage Fox field coil and a YL 5500 permanent magnet. The system also had a GIP field coil woofer in open baffle and it produced some of the best bass I have ever heard.

The 3 compression drivers all sounded great and I could see being quite happy living with any of them. The GIP and Fox had the best speed and detail but were slightly lean sounding, at least in that setup. The YL driver was not quite as fast and detailed but it was close and it had a warmer tonal balance that was more to my taste, but the main reason I chose it over the others was a practical concern over field coils. A field coil driver introduces a whole new universe of variables relating to its power supply. A Tungar supply would sound best but it can be expensive and it puts out some heat, plus all of the components in any power supply are critical for sound quality so I would need to compare various caps and chokes. It also takes time each listening session for the supply and drivers to warm up and stabilize, and the sound changes depending on the exact voltage which can also fluctuate over a listening session. Plus there’s the issue of selecting the best sounding power cord and best sounding wire to connect the supply to the speakers. Basically I just didn’t want to go down the field coil rabbit hole. Instead, my YL drivers with Alnico magnets sound great each time I turn on the system and there’s nothing to fluctuate or adjust.

I am not trying to talk you out of field coils especially GIP. They can sound great but keep in mind there are some practical considerations as well.

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
I just ordered

Gustav Mahler - Edith Mathis, Norma Procter, Chor Des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Symphonie-Orchester Des Bayerischen Rundfunks, Rafael Kubelik – Symphonie Nr. 2 (Auferstehungs-Symphonie · Resurrection)​

It’s a NM 1969 German pressing. I’m hoping this will be a good performance/recording

I haven’t received the one above as of yet. I actually ordered that one in hast late at night thinking it was the NYO from the 60’s. I shouldn’t buy when I’m tired, lol.
did you recieve it? Curious to hear your experience!

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
did you recieve it? Curious to hear your experience!
Hello,

I am listening to it right now as I am writing this.

This is a 1969 pressing on very quiet vinyl, truly NM in every way :)

The sound is very dynamic! Very expansive!

Kubelik does such a great job with this orchestra. The crescendo's really swell nicely.

The string tone is rich and lush, thankfully due to being recorded back in the sixties.

So far, I feel the performance is really done well and I am thrilled to be able to have this record!

***** As I try and type this short message, this recording keeps pulling me back into the performance... which is a testament to how much I am enjoying it ;) I've gone thru 2 sides already and I'm only this far in my response to you, lol. I might as well just give in to the music:)

Best wishes,
Don

MarcelNL

Mar 15, 2021
Kubelik conducted all ten Mahler symphonies, it's my favorite set,and i bought it on a whim decades ago when i was not 'into' Mahler at all, yet...I suspect new Makala recordings may replace or rather accompany them at some point!

Today I listened to Amsterdam Sinfonietta performing the adagietto from Mahler 10th, just 22 string players...fantastic!
(they also performed a Phoenix from Fazil Say together with the Jussen brothers, great piece!)

Happy to hear you like it! Enjoy!!

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
@je2a3
What a cool way to mount two arms on a TD124! I have never seen a dual armboard like that.

Reactions: je2a3

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

After being back to my home in Washington State, I pleayed my Scaena 3.2 augmented by pair of Rel 31 subwoofers.

It souud fast and exciting with realistic deep and wide soundstage.

But I noticed mid bass impact limited compared with Magico M9 or other vintage system with double 18 inch woofers.

Thus I had tried amping involving bass horn of Altec A7..

Using JL Audio Cr1 active crossober, I ended up using pair of Rel 31 and Sceana 18 inch subwoofers below 75hz.

The upper signal out of Cr1 goes to Accuphase F25.

Altec A7 basshorn covers from 75hz to 290 hz.

Main tower of Sceanea cover 290hz and up.

With this 4 way triamping system, I could almost get enough mid bass impact.

Thus I am happy with this combination so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkusBarkus

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

This combination of Sceean, Altec and Rel subwoofers also play well lady vocal.

I am still intereted in getting field coil units.

But field coil system could be sub sytem rather than mian system.

I may set up second system on the third floor that I used until three yeara ago.

_DSC1462pet-2 (1)audio.jpg

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

I am happy with sound from the unusual combination of Sceean, Altec and Rel subwoofers.

Realsitic soundstage with enough dynamics and details.

Last edited:

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I am still intereted in getting field coil units.

But field coil system could be sub sytem rather than mian system.

Have you ever heard a Western Electric theater system? The experience can literally change your life, and make you'all stop questioning whether vintage speaker system can compare to the very best modern offerings.

Field coils sound more natural than other types of drivers.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Have you ever heard a Western Electric theater system? The experience can literally change your life, and make you'all stop questioning whether vintage speaker system can compare to the very best modern offerings.

Field coils sound more natural than other types of drivers.
I did more than 30 times since Mr Chung of Silbatone is my friend.

But it is really difficult to get full filed coil Western Electric system in good condtion.

SoundMann

Jun 29, 2022
I did more than 30 times since Mr Chug of Silbatone is my friend.

But it is really difficult to get full filed coil Western Electric system in good condtion.

Yes. But it may be possible to replicate the general sound and experience on a smaller scale using the best field coil drivers currently available.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Yes. But it may be possible to replicate the general sound and experience on a smaller scale using the best field coil drivers currently available.
There are small makes in making replica of Western filed coil units in Japan or Korea.

it is difficult decision whether I will settle for replica whish does sound decent or go for original Western filed coil units even if it take time and lot of money.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@thomask did you ever get a quote from 13Audio in France? Replica horns but real drivers afaik....

Reactions: the sound of Tao

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
@thomask did you ever get a quote from 13Audio in France? Replica horns but real drivers afaik....
At this point I am not considering wooden horn option.
I will make decision on filed coils units after being back to Korea at the end of next April.

I am also interested in La'son filed speaker.

I may attend Axpona to listen to it next April.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
GIP/Silbatone

This one is made by Western Labo, a Japanes company.

After being back to Korea alte April next year, I consider getting it if it is stll available.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing