MSB Renderer v2 in the house!

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
The central pole of an Entreq Poseidon with an Entreq Eartha Olympus cable.

Note my Emo EN-70HD also is for sale in this forum at 50%, but it seems to me that with the comments I make it will be difficult to sell ;)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
The central pole of an Entreq Poseidon with an Entreq Eartha Olympus cable.

Note my Emo EN-70HD also is for sale in this forum at 50%, but it seems to me that with the comments I make it will be difficult to sell ;)

Well, our systems have none of these grounding devices, and we don't have special power supplies for routers/switchers/NAS. Everything standard. The EN-70HD was a nice boost in resolution. Given it's $200, I think it's worth a try.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well your point of view.
In my case I agree with Kingsrule; I put it where I put it the focus was lost

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Neither of you seem to be using an MSB Renderer too, which I believe to be relevant as well...

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Neither of you seem to be using an MSB Renderer too, which I believe to be relevant as well...

My thoughts on the EMO are with MSB and V2 Renderer

moby2004

Jan 21, 2018
Hello
Not too sure this is the right topic but anyone listened to the reference transport with and without a MSB DAC ?

Thanks
Alex

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My main server is in my office on my network using Roon accessing my library from my Synology NAS to my dedicated network in my listening room using NetGear ProSafe GS108T switch (...)

The guys at UpTone Audio tested it and it was one of the least noisy switches

Last week I received the NetGear ProSafe GS108T and it has been operating for a few days in my system with a lead battery custom LPS. My Roon based play back system, including JCAT Femto ethernet card, glass fiber isolators and a Synology NAS made a considerable jump - at last I am enjoying my TIDAL subscription and giving due merit to my collection of HiRez!

Thanks guys for pointing me the way!

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Just got today one of the very first Renderer modules from MSB, and first impressions are... OMFG!!!!!!!

Plug-and-play, Roon saw it immediately. Can target all sorts of resolution, including MQA.

Sounds considerably better than the Innuos Zenith through USB.

Shame the new Ref transport isn't here anymore, but this seems as good as!

cheers,
alex

Hi Alex, et al,

I have an Innuos Zenith MKII (running Roon server) and an MSB Analog DAC on the way with the new Network Renderer. As for setup, can I connect the MSB Analog DAC directly to the Innuos Zenith using a short ethernet cable via the Streamer ethernet port on the Innuos? I'm a little confused as to whether this streamer port is strictly for streamers or it can be used for Roon on Innuos directly to DAC through the new renderer on the MSB.

Second, does the new network renderer module for the Analog DAC decode MQA as well? Or does the new renderer only decode MQA for the DAC IV, IV+ and V only? I see a note with an asterisk on their site but can't tell based on how it's worded. I received no response to an inquiry directly to MSB: http://www.msbtechnology.com/renderer-rev2/

Here's the line that confuses me: *The Renderer adds MQA decoding to the DAC IV, IV+, and V for the first time and includes an additional Pro I2S input.

Hoping MQA decoding works for the Analog DAC as well with this v2 renderer.

thanks!

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi Alex, et al,

I have an Innuos Zenith MKII (running Roon server) and an MSB Analog DAC on the way with the new Network Renderer. As for setup, can I connect the MSB Analog DAC directly to the Innuos Zenith using a short ethernet cable via the Streamer ethernet port on the Innuos? I'm a little confused as to whether this streamer port is strictly for streamers or it can be used for Roon on Innuos directly to DAC through the new renderer on the MSB.

Second, does the new network renderer module for the Analog DAC decode MQA as well? Or does the new renderer only decode MQA for the DAC IV, IV+ and V only? I see a note with an asterisk on their site but can't tell based on how it's worded. I received no response to an inquiry directly to MSB: http://www.msbtechnology.com/renderer-rev2/

Here's the line that confuses me: *The Renderer adds MQA decoding to the DAC IV, IV+, and V for the first time and includes an additional Pro I2S input.

Hoping MQA decoding works for the Analog DAC as well with this v2 renderer.

thanks!

Hi sandpat,

Good choice on the Innuos :)
The "Streamer" port on the Innuos is just a helpful reference, that that's where you should plug upstream Ethernet-enabled components, like the MSB Renderer, or a Linn streamer, for instance.
So yeah, just connect your router to the "LAN" port, and the MSB Renderer to the "Streamer" port, and you're all set!
Once everything is plugged in, Roon will "see" the MSB Renderer automatically (well, you'll have to configure it once).
As for MQA compatibility, you're right, that's not clear. I'll inquire with them as well, as see what they say.
Enjoy!

cheers,
alex

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
A few days ago, when my replacement MSB renderer input module arrived (the one that I ordered with my MSB Premier did not work), I finally got my MSB Premier and Innuos Zenith MkII (I am waiting for mk III to arrive - hopefully later this month or October). The MSB renderer is fed directly from the “streamer” out on the Zenith. It works beautifully! I am a very happy camper. Now the long burn in for the MSB...

koalakoala

Aug 10, 2017
Some msb models like analog already has an earlier mqa usb module, so renderer 2 is not the first mqa addition.
For dac v etc, renderer 2 is mqa capable for the first time.

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Great thank you! I’m hoping MSB write back. Will try pinging them myself again.

Thanks also for the information on the streamer port. Felt their documentation was a bit lacking on that port and Innuos customer support, although very responsive, didn’t seem to quite understand what I was asking.

Cheers

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Thanks all for the follow-up responses to my query. Appreciate the insight.

I’m considering upgrading to the Innuos Zenith MKIII myself. I think it’s about a $1500 upgrade. Is it worth it?

Re: the Network Renderer; good to know it does decode MQA on the analog DAC.

Cheers

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
The manuals are very poor. Unbefitting of them TBH. That said, they are still developing the renderer v2 manual. Still kinks to iron out apparently. Try to get your MSB dealer to connect you to MSB (Jonathan Gullman) directly. He was very responsive and helpful to me.

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
No idea if the mk3 is a material improvement or not, nor the price upgrade. I decided to commit blind. I have a mk2 on loan until my mk3 arrives.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Hi,

We haven't received the mk3s yet, but if anybody wants to commit, we're here and we can help :D
As for the MSB, their manuals have improved quite a bit. They're very "to the point" now. The problem right now is the website, that's not 100% clear on the MQA on Analog DAC Renderer. Still waiting to hear back, will post as soon as I do.
If anybody needs help with MSB and they don't have a dealer nearby, you're all welcome to contact me directly. I've played with most of their stuff, and I think I know it well :D

cheers,
alex

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
CONFIRMED: Analog DAC Renderer v2 supports MQA!

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
CONFIRMED: Analog DAC Renderer v2 supports MQA!

Great! Breathing a sigh of relief.... at $1995 retail was hoping it would include MQA for the Analog DAC as well. Thanks for the confirmation Alex, and others. I get my Analog DAC next week; cannot wait!

sandpat

Sep 5, 2018
Does anyone have a Network Renderer V2 manual handy? It’s still not up on MSB’s website and I have no idea how I can access the Analog DAC settings without accessing its web interface. I’m assuming there is a web interface as the Wi-Fi controller module has it, although mine appears to not be working as I don’t see any local Wi-Fi networks I can connect to. Can we access the MSB settings page through the network renderer?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing