My visit to CH Precision

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
For me Wilson Alexandria,even if has 94 db, is not a good match with tube.
Wilson Alexandria has a very heavy midbass,and high power tube has also,so sound is no good.
My friend had Alexandria with pre 2 stack and mono amp VIVA,powerful for Alexandria in his not big room,but sound,even if Viva New Aurora amp have 845 tube,always heavy in mid bass and no good,we tried many times with spikes,cable,cartridges to adjust,but always no good.
He changed Aurora with CH and now sound is much much better

Another friend has Wilson X1 Grand Slamm with ML 32 and 33.Bought 2 years ago tube pre Riviera and Hybrid mono amp Riviera,very good,but when i go to visit him he has always ML connected.

Another friend had ìX1 Grand Slamm with ARC 600,sound not very good and when tried Burmester 911 mono,sound was incredible better

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I had among the best tube since 1979 to 2016,tube quality reached the top in sound while transistor was not very good,but in last years transistor amp,CH,Technical brain,BAlabo,Gryphon,Koda and many others reached a very high level

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Tad R1 listened many times with many ampsand never liked,but when i listen in Tad room with his amp was a good sound

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Anyway i always love Kondo and would like to buy the new Ongaku with pgono GE 10 for the second system

Old Kondo,ANJ, are very good but are not better that the new production.
I think the key is having two system .
Tube/horn like "Kondo / Living Voice Vox Olympian"
Ss/Driver like TAD complete System

Tube/horn for beauty and Emotion of music
SS/Driver for power of music

Reactions: Stef

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
I had among the best tube since 1979 to 2016,tube quality reached the top in sound while transistor was not very good,but in last years transistor amp,CH,Technical brain,BAlabo,Gryphon,Koda and many others reached a very high level
Yes new SS amplifiers are better than old SS amplifiers , I think now the CH and Vitus are on top of the List. I guess Vitus is even better than CH in Masterpiece models.

please remove Gryphon from your list :)))

Last edited:

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Tad R1 listened many times with many ampsand never liked,but when i listen in Tad room with his amp was a good sound
Yes , TAD does not sound good with most amplifiers , I do not why ...
TAD R1 is good when I connect to TAD M700 and the AC quality is high.
When AC Quality is bad the sound is worse

when AC Quality is good the TAD D600/C600/M700/R1/Skogrand Stravinsky will reach higher level of dynamics that is unbelievable , it is voice of God and very few dynamic driver loudspeakers Reach these level of dynamics + transparency

Last edited:
Reactions: Stef

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
For me Wilson Alexandria,even if has 94 db, is not a good match with tube.
Wilson Alexandria has a very heavy midbass,and high power tube has also,so sound is no good.
My friend had Alexandria with pre 2 stack and mono amp VIVA,powerful for Alexandria in his not big room,but sound,even if Viva New Aurora amp have 845 tube,always heavy in mid bass and no good,we tried many times with spikes,cable,cartridges to adjust,but always no good.
He changed Aurora with CH and now sound is much much better

Another friend has Wilson X1 Grand Slamm with ML 32 and 33.Bought 2 years ago tube pre Riviera and Hybrid mono amp Riviera,very good,but when i go to visit him he has always ML connected.

Another friend had ìX1 Grand Slamm with ARC 600,sound not very good and when tried Burmester 911 mono,sound was incredible better
Yes the midbass is not perfect
Yes even high power tubes are not perfect with alexandria but totally is better solution

dave wilson setup at rmaf 2013 was good with VTL 400w

I also told to my friends speakers like Alexandria , WAMM will not give us best solution for amplification , both high power tubes and ss are not perfect match to big wilsons

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Yes new SS amplifiers are better than old SS amplifiers , I think now the CH and Vitus are on top of the List. I guess Vitus is even better than CH in Masterpiece models.

Gryphon preamp I don’t like,but power amp are good

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
excuse me for off topic , if admin think this is not good then i will delete my post. I also excuse from gryphon company , this is my personal view and it may be 100% wrong.

I think gryphon system not designed for music.

CH Precision, Vitus Audio , Robert koda are far from gryphon .

i have listened to many gryphon systems and convinced gryphon is only good on specs.
Check the specs :
Zero feedback circuit
Dual mono
Dc coupled
Fully balanced
Class A Amplifier
Sealed box loudspeaker
Time and phase coherent crossover
Large capacitor bank
D'appolito
Line array drivers
and ...

Many audiophiles love good specs but i think the specs are non-sense and the most important thing is Designer mind.
Gryphon has no relation to music .

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have only heard Gryphon amps, not their preamps nor their speakers or digital. I have heard good things about their phono stages. So I can speak only to their amps.

What I like about their amps is they provide endless foundational grip, control and remarkable image density like almost no other amp I have heard (not heard them all). They also have a level of unflappable power that is in fact matchless in my experience...for speakers that need it. I can imagine there are those (I have spoken with a few) who compare the mighty Gryphon with the incredibly nuanced, exceptionally organic tonal qualities of SETs (with the right speakers)...and prefer the latter.

What these qualities allowed us to do with our sound was drive the Zanden digital source through it...and know the depth, power, density of tone and image would all come through effortlessly. And that combination worked exceptionally well.

For me, it was that particular, important and outer-edge frontier of organic quality, including a deft touch with musical inflection and nuance where I have found a new dimension with Robert Koda who has taken my experience in music and particularly amplification which are rooted in the impeccable qualities of the Gryphon where they are strong/peerless (above)...and then gone well beyond my experience with the Gryphons (for whom I retain a remarkable and profound respect) in the area of that refined nuance, organic qualities, and delicate but extremely confident filigree in all areas (including astoundingly filigree in the bass where the Robert Koda also goes deeper/more powerfully than Gryphon in low bass)...and only in the last 12 hours [potentially] now in the mid and upper bass as well.

The one area where Gryphon I intuitively feel reigns is (purely a guess and admit could be wrong)...is the ability for Gryphon to keep sounding endlessly powerful and in utter complete control with exceptionally difficult loads. The Wilson XLF does not provide such a load, and so as this load, the Robert Koda wins on all scores, but for certain elements it has not been an easy drop in replacement for everything the Gryphon does well...though with time, it does win decisively.

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60 and ICUToo

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010

You can add Audionet to that list.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing