CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: carolus

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thankfully we're not, but If limited to just one record that has multiple facets, one that I use all the time for equipment evaluation is Finzi's Intimations of Immortality. (Lyrita SRCS-75) It has a moderately large orchestra with percussion, choir (male and female) and tenor soloist, none of whom are world class but are suited to the music and venue. An HP list favorite early on, Finzi's 45 minute one-movement composition uses Wordsworth's Ode of the same name as his libretto.

Mid-20th C. British. It lacks huge climaxes a la Mahler or Shosty, and of course Finzi is not Beethoven, but sonically many of the audiophile elements are there.

View attachment 73667

I listen primarily for clarity and flow, how well the choirs sound like groups of individuals singing together, dynamic gradations and timbre from the soloist and particularly from the percussion section. Lyrita seems to have a knack for recording percussion. Some of the singing is done in rounds, so I listen for vocal clarity and articulation as each wave launches over its predecessor.

edit:
Other records I may use for component evaluation:
- Six Symphonies Op.3, JC Bach from The Rise of the Symphony collection, Marriner - Philips 6707 013
- Trio, Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt, Warner Bros. 9 25491-1
- Symphony 1, 4, 5 or 6 Sibelius, often Maazel or Ansermet on Decca, Karajan on DG
- Violin Concerto, Heifitz, Rosza LSC-2767 or Bruch LSC-2652 or Sibelius, LSC 2435
- Die Zauber Flote, Mozart, Bohm BPO Fischer-Dieskay, Wunderlich, Lear, etc., DG 136 440
- Kraftwerk, you pick, sometimes Electric Cafe
- Blood Sweat & Tears, Spinning Wheel, 45rpm Columbia / ORG 133
-
Sort of reminds ne of the Lays potato chip commercial. "i betcha can't eat just one."
I love orchestra and choir. There is jsut so much going on.

Reactions: tima

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I actually find this LP excellent. Boult introduces each instrument of the orchestra, explains what it is and what it does, and sometimes why it is used. Then these introductions are followed by sections from famous works featuring the instruments being played by his orchestra. Hearing the compass of each of the instruments in isolation and then playing well known music passages makes for great variety. It is very helpful for hearing the timbre of each instrument.

One can also make out scale and localization around the stage. The recording quality is excellent.

IMG_0645.JPG

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I actually find this LP excellent. Boult introduces each instrument of the orchestra, explains what it is and what it does, and sometimes why it is used. Then these introductions are followed by sections from famous works featuring the instruments being played by his orchestra. Hearing the compass of each of the instruments in isolation and then playing well known music passages makes for great variety. It is very helpful for hearing the timbre of each instrument.

One can also make out scale and localization around the stage. The recording quality is excellent.

View attachment 73715
That is VERY cool and educational :cool:

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
May I nominate Mahler 2 , for dynamic range, scale (large orchestra), vocals, etc.
Live recordings by the BBC of Tennstedt conducting the LPO are excellent performances & erasonably well recorded
There is also a dramatic live rendition by Klemperer conducting the Concertgebouw (on EMI I think).

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
May I nominate Mahler 2 , for dynamic range, scale (large orchestra), vocals, etc.
Live recordings by the BBC of Tennstedt conducting the LPO are excellent performances & erasonably well recorded
There is also a dramatic live rendition by Klemperer conducting the Concertgebouw (on EMI I think).

There is a world in which Mahler 2 is the answer to many questions.

Reactions: Gregm

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
From my experience, any well recorded and dynamic piano recording will immediately reveal most of the system’s qualities.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
From my experience, any well recorded and dynamic piano recording will immediately reveal most of the system’s qualities.
A piano is quite the challenge. "well recorded" is quite the accomplishment. I am often amazed by the subtle nuance of live piano.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

A lot of them, but not most. For separation of instruments you need orchestral, for timbral micro-detail you need solo violin and saxophone (yes, piano is revealing there too, but you need other references as well), for rhythm & timing you need good jazz and/or rock, etc. etc.

But yes, I will grant that *at least* one piano recording is an absolute *must* for system evaluation.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The klemperer original is fantastic and was recorded without delimiters so the dynamic range is extremely high.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The klemperer original is fantastic and was recorded without delimiters so the dynamic range is extremely high.
Is that recording also available on Qobuz?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is that recording also available on Qobuz?

I am referring to the original LP. The effect will not be the same on other media.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

I am referring to the original LP. The effect will not be the same on other media.

Mahler's 2nd was a signature piece for Otto Klemperer. His 1963 recording from EMI/Angel made in Kingsway Hall London with the Philharmonia Orchestra features Elisabeth Schwarzkopf and Hilde Rossl-Majdan and continues since that day as a thriller.

My copy is from Pathe Marconi (French EMI). 2C181-00570/1 (gorgeous cover)

MAHLER_2_Klemperer La Voix De Son Maître ?2C 181 005701.JPG

Of it, somewhat famous Mahler critic/commenter Tony Duggan writes:

"This is an essential recording for any collection: the greatest interpretation of Mahler's Second ever placed before the public, made under ideal studio conditions ...." Review.

The Klemperer is more frequently found with a cover similar to this below. The branding across the top may be Columbia or Angel - 2 albums. I've seen the packaging with two separate covers or as one. COLUMBIA SAX 2473 2474, ANGEL 3634.

MAHLER_2_Klemperer__b.jpg

There is also an EMI UK release as a box with a picture of Klemperer smoking a cigar on the cover. SLS-806.

Kelmperer Mahler 2 EMI SLS-806.jpg

Then there is Bruno Walter on Columbia with the New York Philharmonic. I find this an extraordinarily power-filled/gripping/compelling performance and it could be my regular favorite but for the typically crackly vinyl that seems more the rule than the exception for Columbia classical issuances. (Their jazz always seemed to fair better - don't know why.) For optimal sound it really should be played using the Columbia playback curve. M2S 601 (stereo) M2L 256 (mono 6 eye). Truly an unforgettable performance from a man who knew GM personally.

Mahler 2 Walter LP M2S601.jpg

Lastly I'll mention the Mahler 2nds from Leonard Bernstein. He made at least two separate recordings, one for Columbia, one for DG, both with the New York Phil.. Both are worthy of your attention.

Mahler Sym 2 Bernstein Columbia M2S 695.jpg
Columbia Masterworks M2L 295 (mono)
Sony Classical 88985389241 - stereo reissue.

Not that long ago Sony released this as part of their 15 LP Mahler box set with original covers. This quickly went oop but I see a few sealed sets on discogs at not insane cost. Can also be purchased as a single album.

Mahler 2 Bernstein NY Philharmonic.jpg
DG 423 395-2 or 423 395-1 / 423 396-1 / 423 397-1 (?)

This is part of the reissue of individual Mahler symphonies by Analogphonic. All feature cover art from Romain de Tirtoff (known as Erté.) A nice 2-LP box. What is cool about this issuance is the recordings are live. I had some issues with the opening on certain cartridges, but the vdH Master Sig sailed right through. Wonderful full bass lines at the start, worth it for those alone. This particular LP issuance has risen in price. DK if Analogphonic will make more.

If you choose but one Mahler 2 for your single record evaluator these are worth consideration.

Reactions: Gregm and christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing