SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

ANDRESZ

Oct 14, 2018
Yes absolutely. I have no doubt. I have tested a few times with a temp probe and I am no tech re the why and wherefore but it is consistent. Maybe the ER works less harder under one than the other. Maybe internal power supplies, dealing with HF noise .....I don't know. I haven't measured the outputs. It is interesting. All Sboosters are switchable in a small range.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Alex from UpTone here.
There is a lot of incorrect information floating around with regards to EtherREGEN current draw and heat.
Permit me to clarify a few things:

--As indicated indicted the User Guide, it is normal for the case to be in the range of 48~52C. Yet at no time will any of the internal parts be running at more than half their thermal ratings.
--Case temperature varies more based on number of active connections (and their speed) than it does based on input voltage.
--In our extensive tests here, it overall temperature varies by not more than about 2 degrees C between input voltage (in the range of 7~12V).
--The EtherREGEN draws from whatever is the external PS approximately 1.3A at 7V, 1A at 9V, and 0.8A at 12V.

Please let me know if there are other questions I can answer. While I check into this thread infrequently (our main home is at AudiophileStyle), I will try to keep an eye here for questions or to correct information. Thanks!

Thank you Alex for correcting my errors.
k

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello brothers,
Thank you for your support and compliments for my reports of #221 to #224 in this thread.

Now is an update :
My audiophile group had a gathering again last night.
Because one of us - the system owner has bought a Taiko Audio Extreme Server!
(Previously he used a diy Linux OS CAS desktop)
20200115_224942~3.jpg

We repeated the tests on SOtM and EtherRegen on the Extreme Server.

Please be informed that the findings/conclusion summarized by #221 to #224 still applied to/held true for the Extreme Server!

BTW I mentioned on #243 that a good ethernet cable should be added to a dual-SOtM switches (connected by optical fiber) so as to give the system more musicality.

We confirmed this suggestion of mine on the Extreme Server too last night.
Adding a Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable to the network pathway is so important and enjoyable!
20200115_222811~2.jpg

We shall let that Extreme to have more burn-in for a few weeks more first, then we will find ways to further enhance its performance.
Will keep WBF brother updated for sure!
;)

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
As a summary, I have been connecting my 2 sotm switches via fibre , in turn both fed by Mutech Ref10, -120db as a 10M master, but with the 1st Sotm connected via cybershaft 7m clock cable.

This may not have been optimal at such a distance.

As i now have a spare OCXO from the Ref 10, that is a Mutech > -116db unit i decided to make a connection directly to a spare BNC i had from my CCTV installations Image_1579609221.jpg as a temporary trial instead of mounting the module inside the unit, if even possible!

This is just temporary, i will need to get a tech to professionally install, elimination the cheap connector and fl cable connection the Sotm Sclk Ex card inside the Sotm switch.

What is again the initial most prominent effect, that was in line with upgrading the Ref 10 to a -120db unit was a vast improvement in bass.

Without much warm up, maybe 15 minutes the bass again has transformed which was immediately apparent, with such concise and impactful was my first immediate observation.

Secondly, the improvement in spatial details , dynamics, definition and separation of sounds came flooding to my ears! All these along with a lower noise floor.

No critical listening needed, what i can say is that i am just left speechless!

I was not prepared to custom order a 7 meter decent audiophile branded clock cable which i was quoted at $4.5K and this would still be the cheapest clock cable i would have in the system.

Although, the Ref10's OCXO used was not the -120db unit being previously fed to the switch.
This proves again and verifies my findings that clock cables are very, very important no matter what clock you are using.

Even a cheap clock which CK tested and concluded to also sound good via a Valhalla 2 clock cable and performance soars with every upgrade of better clocks, cables, PSU and vibration management.

I will update once it can be connected directly into the switch as a reference clock.

It is a never ending spiral indeed!

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
As a summary, I have been connecting my 2 sotm switches via fibre , in turn both fed by Mutech Ref10, -120db as a 10M master, but with the 1st Sotm connected via cybershaft 7m clock cable.

This may not have been optimal at such a distance.

As i now have a spare OCXO from the Ref 10, that is a Mutech > -116db unit i decided to make a connection directly to a spare BNC i had from my CCTV installations View attachment 60841 as a temporary trial instead of mounting the module inside the unit, if even possible!

This is just temporary, i will need to get a tech to professionally install, elimination the cheap connector and fl cable connection the Sotm Sclk Ex card inside the Sotm switch.

What is again the initial most prominent effect, that was in line with upgrading the Ref 10 to a -120db unit was a vast improvement in bass.

Without much warm up, maybe 15 minutes the bass again has transformed which was immediately apparent, with such concise and impactful was my first immediate observation.

Secondly, the improvement in spatial details , dynamics, definition and separation of sounds came flooding to my ears!

No critical listening needed, what i can say is that i am just left speechless!

I was not prepared to custom order a 7 meter decent audiophile branded clock cable which i was quoted at $4.5K and this would still be the cheapest clock cable i would have in the system.

Although, the Ref10's OCXO used was not the -120db unit being previously fed to the switch.
This proves again and verifies my findings that clock cables are very, very important no matter what clock you are using.

Even a cheap GPSO clock which CK tested and concluded to also sound good via a Valhalla 2 clock cable and performance soars with every upgrade of better clocks, cables, PSU and vibration management.

I will update once it can be connected directly into the switch as a reference clock.

It is a never ending spiral indeed!
So, at which of Dante's Nine Circles of Hell are you now at?

Reactions: the sound of Tao

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
So, at which of Dante's Nine Circles of Hell are you now at?
Lol... uhmmm the digital one, the analogue circle of hell is on another level... now where did I put that stacore + taina and daiza with my $14k urushi retip.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
For comparision, the SE-120 ocxo, -120db unitis on the right.

Standard -116db unit on the left. Image_1579612846.jpg

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Hi Kris,

Yes, it was immediately apparent.

It looks conclusive in my view as previously stated the importance of the clock cables.

A -116db unit with a great clock cable will sound better than a -120db unit using a merely good clock cable.

So this has been a huge improvement over and above comparing a -116db and -120db units.

I believe Sotm would be possible accommodate possible retrofitting one of their OCXO directly in their switch as a package.

The improvement looks to me to be easily better than say even using something like a Shunyata Sigma clock cable connecting an external clock to the switch.

It is so definitive difference in SQ with 116 v sub 120 dB ?

Reactions: Kris

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I have seen the results of the noize transmission from few 7 different master clocks comparison.
that was done some time ago and with older 10 mhz clocks .
unfrtunate that time the conclusion was that there is little MORE noize with MC than with on board normal clock.
cables and distance from generator adds this noize to the clock signal.
more noize does not neccessary means worst SQ. What we are hearing as improvement might be the elevation of special kind of noise in the soectrum.

please see:

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/does-your-studio-need-digital-master-clock

Very interesting and scientific way of showing things.

Nowdays we have much better clocks with much less noise, so it would be great to perform soch comparison nowdays.
Can anyone of you perform this kind of test ?

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Guys and especially CK,
Emile did a shootout and it seems our beloved soTm switch lost. I too have a soTm fully upgraded version and am in the midst of getting a second one, should I get an ER as a second switch (safe some cash as well) or a SoTm upgraded switch? If I get the SoTm, should I change out the copper wires or just leave it. Frankly, in my system after the upgrade was done to the SoTm switch, it was WOW moment for me.

Any advise would be very welcome. Thank you so much all. Stay safe with this virus guys. Health is wealth.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Guys and especially CK,
Emile did a shootout and it seems our beloved soTm switch lost. I too have a soTm fully upgraded version and am in the midst of getting a second one, should I get an ER as a second switch (safe some cash as well) or a SoTm upgraded switch? If I get the SoTm, should I change out the copper wires or just leave it. Frankly, in my system after the upgrade was done to the SoTm switch, it was WOW moment for me.
Any advise would be very welcome. Thank you so much all. Stay safe with this virus guys. Health is wealth.
Diff systems and can be diff taste too.
I fully respect Emile's choice.
:)

However I have listened to SOtM and ER many times in diff systems.
I stand by my personal view/choices.

Try and listen with our own ears before taking out the wallet is my recommendation.
;)

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019

Try and listen with our own ears before taking out the wallet is my recommendation.
;)
Hi CK,
Thank you so much for the prompt reply sir. I have the utmost respect regarding ur input and also the time you put aside to make ur recommendations. I love SoTm products and am a fanboy I must admit. My entire digital front is SoTm including cables. I have had very good experience with May and her customer service is of the highest order. I hope I can lay hands on an ER just to hear it in action.

CK, would you recommend I go with the full upgraded version or skip the silver wires but do the caps and ebs? My current unit is with the silver cables, not to worry, I'm not going to point a gun at your head. LOL.

Thank you and also all the others in advance for any forth coming inputs. Cheers and happy listening.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CK,
Thank you so much for the prompt reply sir. I have the utmost respect regarding ur input and also the time you put aside to make ur recommendations. I love SoTm products and am a fanboy I must admit. My entire digital front is SoTm including cables. I have had very good experience with May and her customer service is of the highest order. I hope I can lay hands on an ER just to hear it in action.

CK, would you recommend I go with the full upgraded version or skip the silver wires but do the caps and ebs? My current unit is with the silver cables, not to worry, I'm not going to point a gun at your head. LOL.

Thank you and also all the others in advance for any forth coming inputs. Cheers and happy listening.
Among my many friends who own single SOtM switch or SOtMx2, only one of them sent his SOtM back to Korea for replacement of the internal silver wires to copper wires.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Among my many friends who own single SOtM switch or SOtMx2, only one of them sent his SOtM back to Korea for replacement of the internal silver wires to copper wires.
Roger that. Looks like it will be the full works for me then. Thank you.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

;)

I suspect that Dalby Meda ethernet cable may alleviate some of my issues with it :) As you wrote:

BTW I mentioned on #243 that a good ethernet cable should be added to a dual-SOtM switches (connected by optical fiber) so as to give the system more musicality.

We confirmed this suggestion of mine on the Extreme Server too last night.
Adding a Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable to the network pathway is so important and enjoyable!

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I suspect that Dalby Meda ethernet cable may alleviate some of my issues with it :) As you wrote:
Yes, most of my SOtM switch user friends got a Vertere HB ethernet cable or Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable in their CAS network pathway.
;)

Reactions: Taiko Audio

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Yes, most of my SOtM switch user friends got a Vertere HB ethernet cable or Dalby Audio Meda ethernet cable in their CAS network pathway.
;)

I did clearly write they are ahead of all others in clarity, transparency and background black levels, especially when stacked:

The Sotm switches did not manage to win me over, although they increase clarity and transparency over 1) 2) and 3), I just could not get over the thin/2 dimensional midrange imaging, images sounded like cut out of a piece of paper lacking the 3rd dimension being depth. Soundstage is all there, dynamics are there and it has the blackest background of all options.

I can fully see ethernet cable matching and/or external clocking changing things. So please read my "comparisons" within it's context, it is just one other view.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
In Emile’s piece on switches there was a lot of talk about ‘glare’ with certain configurations, along with reported loss of air, soundstage size etc. In my experience, the 2 have always gone hand in hand....the loss of detail seemingly caused by a loss of resolution. That missing detail doesn’t disappear from the data stream, its just not resolved from the other music so is added to the music as a haze or ‘glare’. In the past I often noticed that when i would add something like a new cable or indeed anything more resolving the result would be a combination of added detail AND reduced glare.
In Emile’s testing, there were many combined variables, due to the nature of the switches and the need to link devices via cables. For me, while it made very interesting reading, I would not assume that my system will react in exactly the same way to produce the same results.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing