SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

perfusionist

Nov 4, 2020
I recently acquired a SOtM sNH 10G switch in addition to my existing Etherregen. I am looking to keep both switches and daisy chain them. I am sure several folks must have experimented with this combination and would like some advice.

PS: I am using a single box server solution, No network renderer. So the connection from the server goes to SOtM TxUSB ultra to the DAC.

Which of the following combinations offer the best performance in your opinion?

1. Router -> Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side to SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Music server (All connections using ethernet cables)

2. Router -> SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side -> Music server (All connections using ethernet cables)

3. Router -> Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side to SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Music server (Same as #1, but the connection between the 2 network switches using SFP)

4. Router -> SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side -> Music server (Same as #2, but the connection between the 2 network switches using SFP)

I also have 2 Farad Linear Power Supplies (12V) that I am attaching to the SoTM devices. The Etherregen is supplied with a CI Audio VDC7 MK2 (7V) LPS. I am sure the Farad is better than the CI Audio LPS. Does that influence which component goes upstream or downstream?

Thanks in advance.

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
I recently acquired a SOtM sNH 10G switch in addition to my existing Etherregen. I am looking to keep both switches and daisy chain them. I am sure several folks must have experimented with this combination and would like some advice.

PS: I am using a single box server solution, No network renderer. So the connection from the server goes to SOtM TxUSB ultra to the DAC.

1. Router -> Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side to SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Music server (All connections using ethernet cables)

2. Router -> SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side -> Music server (All connections using ethernet cables)

3. Router -> Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side to SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Music server (Same as #1, but the connection between the 2 network switches using SFP)

4. Router -> SOtM port1. SOtM port 5 to Etherregen A side. Etherregen B side -> Music server (Same as #2, but the connection between the 2 network switches using SFP)

I also have 2 Farad Linear Power Supplies (12V) that I am attaching to the SoTM devices. The Etherregen is supplied with a CI Audio VDC7 MK2 (7V) LPS. I am sure the Farad is better than the CI Audio LPS. Does that influence which component goes upstream or downstream?

Thanks in advance.
I have experienced feeding the AQVox SE audio switch to the A side of etherREGEN and B goes to the server or DAC. The AQVox feeds to main home, and a local Apple TV, so I thought it better to branch off to the etherREGEN with one cable in, one cable out - it proved to be a good move, I’m sure SoTM is worth trying in this manner.

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019

Thanks in advance.

I used #4 when I had an EtherRegen. The choice of SFP in that location is important and makes a significant difference in sound quality. In general, SOtM devices are very sensitive to LPS quality. It's hard to say if you would be better off moving a Farad to the EtherRegen. I recommend experimenting to see which LPS configuration you prefer.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I used #4 when I had an EtherRegen. The choice of SFP in that location is important and makes a significant difference in sound quality. In general, SOtM devices are very sensitive to LPS quality. It's hard to say if you would be better off moving a Farad to the EtherRegen. I recommend experimenting to see which LPS configuration you prefer.
I so agree with you @auricgoldfinger regarding the sensitivity of the soTm, my choice of LPS is the Farad 3 with Orange fuse, cable powering it is a Tellurium Silver, prior to this I was running the Farad without the Orange fuse and Tellurium Black cables. Oh btw, my DC cables are Mundorf Silver/Gold, prior to this it was sps-500.

Every change brought about a significant improvement in sound. It is difficult to gauge the difference in terms of which made a greater impact, but in totality terms, it’s awesome now, so ya, the LPS makes quiet an impact sadly for your wallet.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I had two FaradSuper3s for my Modem Router and my EterRegen. I was really very happy with these excellent LPS. So I plugged in a Sonore OM so I decided to swap a Farad for a dual rail PH SR7T for EtherREGEN and OM. Well if you don't want to have another heavy hit on your wallet, don't give it a try, but friend, what a fantastic LPS! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Abyss Man

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I had two FaradSuper3s for my Modem Router and my EterRegen. I was really very happy with these excellent LPS. So I plugged in a Sonore OM so I decided to swap a Farad for a dual rail PH SR7T for EtherREGEN and OM. Well if you don't want to have another heavy hit on your wallet, don't give it a try, but friend, what a fantastic LPS! :)
There is always something better out there buddy and the rabbit hole is very deep. Guess, there has to be a line drawn with how far we want to take it. I’m very happy with the Farads and what they offer for the money spent. The PH units am sure are a brilliant LPS but at almost 2.8k SGD per unit that’s beyond my pocket and I need 5 of them. LOL.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
There is always something better out there buddy and the rabbit hole is very deep. Guess, there has to be a line drawn with how far we want to take it. I’m very happy with the Farads and what they offer for the money spent. The PH units am sure are a brilliant LPS but at almost 2.8k SGD per unit that’s beyond my pocket and I need 5 of them. LOL.

I think a more suitable comparison would be Farad vs PH SR4T since both are more or less in the same price range.
There are reports that even then the PH might be superior.

Matt

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Reactions: perfusionist

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
This is a review of the SR4. As Matt said above, several people have since said the newer SR4T slightly outperforms the Farad.
Guess I would have to lay my hands on one to hear for it for myself. Let's see, but for now, I'm very happy what the Farad is supplying. I've also been wondering how the Ultimo mathches up to the PH models. But, that's for another day. Don't want to go off topic buddy. Happy listening and stay safe. God bless.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I think a more suitable comparison would be Farad vs PH SR4T since both are more or less in the same price range.
There are reports that even then the PH might be superior.

Matt
Ah! but I wasn't trying to compare them, Matt. I understand that it is SR7 T is more expensive. Just give my point of view that if you can pay a little more it's worth it. In fact now I regret not having commissioned it with triple rail and eliminating the second Farad (and the Farad seem excellent to me).

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Ah! but I wasn't trying to compare them, Matt. I understand that it is SR7 T is more expensive. Just give my point of view that if you can pay a little more it's worth it. In fact now I regret not having commissioned it with triple rail and eliminating the second Farad (and the Farad seem excellent to me).

Agree Francisco,
IMO the SR7(T) is the sweet spot among the power supplies. Having the budget I would always go for it.

Matt

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
A very experienced friend and professional hifi - tester / writer gave me the advice that the SFP input of the SOtM sNH 10G
is not as good as the SFP input of the Melco S100 switch.
So I added to the SOtM the SonoreOM.
Thanks to CKK, Steve and Kris, my ethernet chain now is quite complex but sounds incredible in this configuration:
Fritzbox router with LPS - Sonore OM with 7 Volts LPS - Finisar SFP - fiber - Finisar SFP - Sonore OM - SOtM sNH 10G
with Cybershaft 10Mhz clock - Esoteric N01XD.
Now Im totally content with the result.
This forum helped a lot.
By the way: the Esoteric N-01XD kicked out my N-01. Physically and soundwise.

Reactions: perfusionist

Whitlee

Dec 30, 2020
I have been doing a lot of reading regarding the various network switches out there which by all accounts come across as a must have. I am curious if anyone has used one with a Aurender N10 music server as they have an on board cache drive where it stores what you currently want to play. Just wondering people experienced the same change in there system.

sbilotta

Feb 4, 2020
No need for the Gigafoil. Just plug the MSB's clock out into the switch, and voilà.

I haven't heard a filter, any filter, do what the switch (with clock option) does. If you have an MSB DAC and use Ethernet, you need one.
Do you mean to use the MSB PRO I2S (ethernet) connector (that can output its clock signal) to connect it to the switch?
The only clock connections to switches that I see are BNC, such as in my Uptone EtherRegen.

Can you elaborate on this please?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Anyone tried the Edison clock mod yet? I’m nearby and thinking of doing this. Thx

Duckworp

Oct 14, 2018
got them Finisar modules earlier this week. I replaced my generic refurbished Cisco ones (image attached) with them
There’s a definite uptick to the sound quality. Mainly to the instrument separation and the widening and placement of the soundstage
for a mere 35€ investment (including shipping/customs from EBay USA to Ireland) this is the one of the best bang for buck investment I have made in my stereo so far
Thanks lads for the advice :)
Next step would be to replace my Cisco 2960 to a Sonore OM. but I am in no hurry :)
View attachment 66290
Hey @Darmstadtium how did you get the Finisar 1324 to work with your Cisco 2960? My Cisco won’t recognise the SFP. I can put one of the 1324s in at the ER end of the SM cable and it works, but I have to use a Cisco compatible SFP made by FS at the 2960 end. I have not enabled any management on the 2960.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
@Kris i have just made an order for a 220v version of the HFS1155 switch to be delivered to Australia.
I went to the Buffalo 2016 route.
I upgrated the internal wireing with Mundorf silver gold.
after that Jord helped me with upgrating the clocks with Pink Faun Ultra Model.
This was not cheap but it turn to be an amazing upgrade.
I have 4 Buffalo 2016 now. stacking them brings additional benefits.
all servers including th3 Taiko Extreme benefit a LOT from this upgrate.

Reactions: kerisabe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing