SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Yes single mode and these have been the best SFPs I’ve heard yet in my OM and ER. The reports I’ve read have agreed that single mode beats multi.

I use this fiber:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7RWGDB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Interestingly, everyone I talked to at Sonore said their OM's are designed for, or work best with multi. When I tried the OM's they didn't know if they would work with single mode, which seemed a little odd particularly as there is no mention of this in their product description.

I could never get the OM's to work in my system. (I didn't try them with multi.). I think my problem with them was something else, independent of single or multi mode, which still remains a mystery.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Interestingly, everyone I talked to at Sonore said their OM's are designed for, or work best with multi. When I tried the OM's they didn't know if they would work with single mode, which seemed a little odd particularly as there is no mention of this in their product description.

I could never get the OM's to work in my system. (I didn't try them with multi.). I think my problem with them was something else, independent of single or multi mode, which still remains a mystery.

Yes Sonore does recommend multi. Based on their comments, I don't believe their recommendation was based on a listening assessment though. I think it has more to do with not being able to provide a technical reason as to why single mode might sound better.

Inexpensive multi-mode SFPs tend to use LEDs instead of lasers. Greater optical precision is needed for the optical wavelengths found in single mode, which may be why some of us find that they sound better.

The OM has been working flawlessly for me.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
I too am using single mode transceivers with no issues with the opticalModule. I repurposed the multi-mode transceiver that came with the oM to connect my two EdgeRouter X SFP routers (I have my audio network on one, and the rest of my WiFi and home network galvanically isolated on the other).

The SQ trend that is emerging seems more related to power consumption in the SFP modules - the lower the power consumption, the better things seem to sound (Planet Tech (thanks Emile!) to Finisar (thanks CK!) to ??)

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
I too am using single mode transceivers with no issues with the opticalModule. I repurposed the multi-mode transceiver that came with the oM to connect my two EdgeRouter X SFP routers (I have my audio network on one, and the rest of my WiFi and home network galvanically isolated on the other).

The SQ trend that is emerging seems more related to power consumption in the SFP modules - the lower the power consumption, the better things seem to sound (Planet Tech (thanks Emile!) to Finisar (thanks CK!) to ??)
I may have missed it in your great write up but did you try running fiber directly out of the EdgeRouter to the Extreme? And are you running both routers out of the same modem?

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
Here is my current setup (with the Finisar's, I'm back to experimenting with the optical NIC in the Extreme) After the Great Disruption copper on the Extreme was better than optical NIC when I was running the Planet Techs, but the Finisars have definitely made things more competitive.

I did not talk about it in my big review, but I did try ERX SFP optical direct to optical NIC on Extreme, most recently with the Finisar's. This was quite nice! When I do this, I use copper ether to connect the two ERX routers, so I lose galvanic isolation.

Alas I haven't had a lot of time for critical listening tests since I got the Finisars (last weekend ran away from me). I hope to get to more structured listening tests this weekend. As a bonus, I'll be getting my 5V DXP supplies from Alexey later this week, so I'll be able to free up my second LPS 1.2 (so I'm not sharing a supply between my ONT and my gateway ERX)

Hopefully I'll have a new optimal config (with Finisars) soon

1591142715356.png

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
Here is my current setup (with the Finisar's, I'm back to experimenting with the optical NIC in the Extreme) After the Great Disruption copper on the Extreme was better than optical NIC when I was running the Planet Techs, but the Finisars have definitely made things more competitive.

I did not talk about it in my big review, but I did try ERX SFP optical direct to optical NIC on Extreme, most recently with the Finisar's. This was quite nice! When I do this, I use copper ether to connect the two ERX routers, so I lose galvanic isolation.

Alas I haven't had a lot of time for critical listening tests since I got the Finisars (last weekend ran away from me). I hope to get to more structured listening tests this weekend. As a bonus, I'll be getting my 5V DXP supplies from Alexey later this week, so I'll be able to free up my second LPS 1.2 (so I'm not sharing a supply between my ONT and my gateway ERX)

Hopefully I'll have a new optimal config (with Finisars) soon

View attachment 65914
Ok, I see. My plan is to run a second cable into the house and use an Arris SB8200 modem, Sablon ethernet cable to an EdgeRouter X SFP and fiber to the Extreme. I'll use the Finisars at each end. I'll run a standard cat 6 cable from the EdgeRouter to a wi Fi access point in my office/listening room. This will leave the existing modem, switch and router for household use. Problem is the second cable is going to cost me $30/mo.

ray-dude

Dec 8, 2019
I'm going to have my audio network on its own VLAN. I have it set up on an isolated network, with firewall rules to allow responses for sessions initiated from my home network, but I think VLAN might be an easier/more robust implementation

My ultimate goal is to keep non-audio packets from getting to the Extreme NIC (Tidal, Roon remote, and VNC OK, everything else blocked at the EdgeRouter). I'm far from a networking expert (more stubbornness than expertise at this point) so this is a good excuse to figure out what happens at various layers with modern routers.

If folks have better strategies, please chime in! (good network engineers copy, great network engineers steal ;)

Reactions: CKKeung

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hi Kris. The translation made by Google Translate is not clear to me. I could expand this information since I am the owner of EtherREGEN and I have ordered an OM. I am very interested.

sonore optical module sounds better than all other converters.
Ether Regen is excellent but generates mote heat and consumes much more power than Sonore.
If you dont need a swiching option in your setup you could use Sonore OM
I use BOTH Ether Regen and Sonore optical module.

Reactions: kennyb123

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

I tried both
MM and SM
both work excellent.
also tried 850, 1310 and 1550 nm window
all 3 work for every SFP cage.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Yes Sonore does recommend multi. Based on their comments, I don't believe their recommendation was based on a listening assessment though. I think it has more to do with not being able to provide a technical reason as to why single mode might sound better.

Inexpensive multi-mode SFPs tend to use LEDs instead of lasers. Greater optical precision is needed for the optical wavelengths found in single mode, which may be why some of us find that they sound better.

The OM has been working flawlessly for me.

I agree with everything .
I will add that many have found that there is one more important factor that is lengh (saturation)
of the SFPs used.
1310 is excellent , SM is mandatory , but lenght that comes with power and saturation is also important.
we used 20 km , 10 km , 4 km In the recent months.
it is logical that the shorter the distance the LESS power, less noise , lower saturation of the reciever side of sfp.

Reactions: kennyb123

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I'm going to have my audio network on its own VLAN. I have it set up on an isolated network, with firewall rules to allow responses for sessions initiated from my home network, but I think VLAN might be an easier/more robust implementation

My ultimate goal is to keep non-audio packets from getting to the Extreme NIC (Tidal, Roon remote, and VNC OK, everything else blocked at the EdgeRouter). I'm far from a networking expert (more stubbornness than expertise at this point) so this is a good excuse to figure out what happens at various layers with modern routers.

If folks have better strategies, please chime in! (good network engineers copy, great network engineers steal ;)

The ultimate solution is to get totally separate network line for audio only with point to point fixed .
I have a second line for everything else.
I pay double for the internet but there is zero activity on this line except of audio files.

Superdad

Apr 22, 2015

Hi Ken:
I can go along with the latter part of what you said, but the first part is not correct. Even $13 multi-mode SFP transceivers use VCSEL lasers, not LEDs.
A lot of single-mode transceivers us DFB (distributed feedback) lasers.

BTW, based on the new consensus here today I ordered a pair of those surplus Finisars off eBay. For $20 I figured I check out what all the fun is about! :cool:

Best,
—Alex C.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Hi Ken:
I can go along with the latter part of what you said, but the first part is not correct. Even $13 multi-mode SFP transceivers use VCSEL lasers, not LEDs.
A lot of single-mode transceivers us DFB (distributed feedback) lasers.

I stand corrected. My mistake was believing something I read on the internet. (Or more likely misinterpreting what I read.)

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Steve and CK
I am taking your advice as I always agreed with your findings. This always worked in my system.
Ordered 6 of the Finisar SFPs , just to make sure I isolate also the access point and other things like WIFI anthenna with this SFPs.
Thank you both for great recomandation.
Will report once they arrive.

I wanted to thank Steve Z and CKKeung
You always give us the best solutions .
The Finsar SFPs you recommended are no exectipn to that .
Excellent transparency , space and a lot of air in coparison to all other SFPs.

I replaced ALL my Plantet and Startech SFPs to the Finsiar few days ago.
It is a great addition that makes Taiko extreme to shine in its glory.
Emile was right telling us that by numbers ( low power consumption) this should preform great.
They do excellent job!

Those Finisar I use now are used but I could not find new pieces .
Any known site that caries NEW Finisars of your recomendation ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Optical transceivers are for industrial use.
Being faster, with wider bandwidth ...etc do not necessarily mean better sonic performance in CAS systems.
Need audition to discover good ones for audio use.

Therefore WBF brothers please share with us if other good transceivers are discovered.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012

That's is very kind of you, Kris. In this case the credit all belongs to CK -- he shared his experience about the Finisar SFPs and I benefited from his generosity.

I echo what CK has said -- I look forward to other WBF members sharing their experience with other SFPs and other accessories. When we work together we're all smarter than one person working alone.

Best regards,

Steve Z

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
The Finsar SFPs you recommended are no exectipn to that .
Excellent transparency , space and a lot of air in coparison to all other SFPs.

I replaced ALL my Plantet and Startech SFPs to the Finsiar few days ago.
It is a great addition that makes Taiko extreme to shine in its glory.
Emile was right telling us that by numbers ( low power consumption) this should preform great.
They do excellent job!

Those Finisar I use now are used but I could not find new pieces .
Any known site that caries NEW Finisars of your recomendation ?
Hi Kris,
I think this particular SFP is already obsolete. At least that’s my understanding. I ordered 10 of them, talk about adhering to recommendations from CK. LOL.

Reactions: Kris

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Kris,
I think this particular SFP is already obsolete. At least that’s my understanding. I ordered 10 of them, talk about adhering to recommendations from CK. LOL.
No wonder it's sold out at that eBay shop.
:rolleyes:

Reactions: Abyss Man

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing