SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Does the Melco Ethernet run at 100 speed or 1000 speed?
My mistake simply saying "Melco" when Melco has different products. I was referring to a Melco N1ZH60-2 server. The adapts to the incoming speed, between 100MB and 1Gb. Since EtherREGEN port B only works at 100 Mb, Melco's ethernet port adapts at that speed

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
Quieter, higher resolution.
Higher agility too and music got much better flow.
:)

I received my Finisar SFPs this afternoon and have been listening with a pair in my OpticalModule and Extreme. I agree with you CK -- quieter, very resolving, a very sinewy and lithe presentation with lots of drive and snap when the music calls for it. Otherwise, a very deep, quiet and languid backdrop to slow, contemplative pieces.

I like these very much so far and for roughly $10USD a piece, a real bargain.

Thanks very much for passing this information along.

Steve Z

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I received my Finisar SFPs this afternoon and have been listening with a pair in my OpticalModule and Extreme. I agree with you CK -- quieter, very resolving, a very sinewy and lithe presentation with lots of drive and snap when the music calls for it. Otherwise, a very deep, quiet and languid backdrop to slow, contemplative pieces.
Steve Z
Optical transceivers, optical fiber ...etc are industrial products.
Being faster, having wider bandwidth ... do not necessarily mean that they can give better sonic performance in CAS systems.

Therefore WBF brothers, if you have found some similar good CAS gadgets, please share with us here on WBF.

Roasty

May 28, 2020
I would go ethernet to switch instead of optical, reason being, optical sounds thin compared to RJ45. LPS wise, speed is very important on the digital front. I'm using 4 x sps-500 but am in the midst of trying out Farad 3. I tried LPS1.2 and sps-1000 and I lost dynamics and the sound was way too laid back fo my liking. I didn't like it.

Most folks dread at the sps-500 cause its a SMPS, as for me, I like it and in fact is much better than a lot of genric LPS. I would be able to tell you how the Farad sounds in 2 weeks time, but for now I'm back to enjoying my music.

PS: even if I did like the Farad in my setup, I don't think I will go all Farad, I will probably mix and match and see which unit fits where. Hope that answered your 5th question.

Thanks for your input!

1. Fiber will give 100% galvanic isolation, cable will not.
2. No!
3. Yes
4. Yes!
5. Any good linear power supply.

Thank you! This helped a lot!

Kris

Mar 4, 2019

Steve Z

Steve and CK
I am taking your advice as I always agreed with your findings. This always worked in my system.
Ordered 6 of the Finisar SFPs , just to make sure I isolate also the access point and other things like WIFI anthenna with this SFPs.
Thank you both for great recomandation.
Will report once they arrive.

Roasty

May 28, 2020
Does it matter which specific variant of the FINISAR fsp is used? For eg I see some with 2.125gbps data rate, others with 4gbps.

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Quieter, higher resolution.
Higher agility too and music got much better flow.
Thanks mate , I have ordered them via eBay from USA to Ireland via addresspal . Should arrive in about 2 weeks I hope. I currently use generic Cisco refurb SFP multimode between my Cisco 2960 8x and the 1st SOTM Switch.
I am also considering replacing the Cisco 2960 with a Sonore Optical module. Any thoughts if it’s worth it ? thanks

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks mate , I have ordered them via eBay from USA to Ireland via addresspal . Should arrive in about 2 weeks I hope. I currently use generic Cisco refurb SFP multimode between my Cisco 2960 8x and the 1st SOTM Switch.
I am also considering replacing the Cisco 2960 with a Sonore Optical module. Any thoughts if it’s worth it ? thanks

There are few who prefer the Sonore OM over Ether Regen or any other SFP swich If you use it as an chain.
if you need switch take a swich, but if switching is not needed the Sonore OM is the best.
it has option to use 5-9 v DC. The lower voltage the better and less noise.
experiment what is best. I prefer 5v at all times. Steve Z also tested it and he has simmilar findings.

Reactions: Darmstadtium

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Finally my Finisar arrived, much earlier than planned. I have yet to get the Optical Module that I ordered on May 27 and for which I have not yet been given a shipping date in Sonore. I thought that being a product that has been on the market for some time, it would be shipped quickly, but they may not have stock. 67E3F1E0-CEE4-43BD-A664-34DE9CC6FB66.jpeg

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Finally my Finisar arrived, much earlier than planned. I have yet to get the Optical Module that I ordered on May 27 and for which I have not yet been given a shipping date in Sonore. I thought that being a product that has been on the market for some time, it would be shipped quickly, but they may not have stock.
Thats what I have been told as well, its on pre-order when I spoke with this Netherlands based dealer. I am still on the fence though . I have also been reading on corning terminators and cable for fibre , but I can't really find any one delivering in Europe .

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I have yet to get the Optical Module that I ordered on May 27 and for which I have not yet been given a shipping date in Sonore. I thought that being a product that has been on the market for some time, it would be shipped quickly, but they may not have stock.

It seems that they produce these in batches. Mine was part of the February batch and didn't arrive until the first week of March. The status currently shown on on their website is "pre-order, ship date TBD", so it appears they might not even know when the the next batch will be shipping.

Like you, I found this odd given that the product has been on the market for some time. But as a smaller company I imagine they might need a sufficient number of pre-orders to fund the next batch.

It’s a great product and worth the wait IMHO.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Yes, it may be as you say, but I would like some information from the seller.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
So is Sotm still the king of network?
There is some time since this was stated and many of us have tested different approches .
There are competitors like Melco, Jcat Telegartner M12 gold , Ether Regen and many other.
Based on what we know what would be the ultimate network setup TODAY ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So is Sotm still the king of network?
There is some time since this was stated and many of us have tested different approches .
There are competitors like Melco, Jcat Telegartner M12 gold , Ether Regen and many other.
Based on what we know what would be the ultimate network setup TODAY ?
For the dual-switch config, I still stand by SOtM+S100 or SOtMx2.

M12 Gold is very good as a single switch but not as economical/convenient/flexible if used for dual-switch, mainly bcos of the unique M12 socket format & lack of SFP sockets.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi CK,
How would you rate a single M12 against a 2 x soTm? Sorry if this has already been answered.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CK,
How would you rate a single M12 against a 2 x soTm? Sorry if this has already been answered.
Sorry, my frds and I didn't compare these situations directly during our last gathering.

Any other WBF brothers got this experience?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
There are few who prefer the Sonore OM over Ether Regen or any other SFP swich If you use it as an chain.
Hi Kris. The translation made by Google Translate is not clear to me. I could expand this information since I am the owner of EtherREGEN and I have ordered an OM. I am very interested.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
CK, Have you tried the Melco in combination with the eRegen? Thanks

drjimwillie

Mar 26, 2020

Steve Z
I ordered and received these transceivers also. I forgot to check that they are single mode fiber? Will you please confirm.
Also, is it consensus that using single mode with the OM & ER is the preference, please?
Do you have a preference for which brand fiber optic cable? I am assuming corning?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I ordered and received these transceivers also. I forgot to check that they are single mode fiber? Will you please confirm.
Also, is it consensus that using single mode with the OM & ER is the preference, please?
Do you have a preference for which brand fiber optic cable? I am assuming corning?

Yes single mode and these have been the best SFPs I’ve heard yet in my OM and ER. The reports I’ve read have agreed that single mode beats multi.

I use this fiber:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P7RWGDB?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing