SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Tried that. The modded, Grounded DC-common Router sounded a LOT better, particularly powered from a fast LPS.

Then I tried the SOtM switch connected to the modded router. Even better, more live sounding. More blackness between instruments, better imaging.

Then I tried SOtM Ethernet cable with filter. Even better.

If you are not using a SOtM tx-USBUltra (with internal clock upgrade and LPS) in your USB cable, you are missing out on a lot. Makes an even bigger difference than all of the Ethernet stuff. This is the thing that makes USB top-tier, even direct from a computer.

Steve N.
Steve, has your Mac Mini got the 12V DC conversion to run off an LPS? I ask, as that makes a big difference.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve, has your Mac Mini got the 12V DC conversion to run off an LPS? I ask, as that makes a big difference.

I changed the Hynes supply to 8.X??V or 9.5V for the Mini, can't remember and other mods to make it faster. I made a custom cable for it.

Steve N.

caesar

May 30, 2010
So what clock option does one select? 50 ohm or 75 ohm?

And what power supply option?

Thanks

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
So what clock option does one select? 50 ohm or 75 ohm?
And what power supply option?
Thanks

It depends on which external 10M clock you are using.
The new Cybershafts and Mutec Ref10 have both 50 & 75 ohm clock outputs.
But most other brands/models of 10M clocks are 50ohm only.

You need to choose the correct ohm clock cables too.

For LPS, my personal choices are Keces or Clones Audio Powerstation or Uptone Audio JS2.

Reactions: shapo

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I changed the Hynes supply to 8.X??V or 9.5V for the Mini, can't remember and other mods to make it faster. I made a custom cable for it.

Steve N.
Thanks for that Steve. I was going to buy a Paul Hynes supply, but he was way too late and seemed a bit unreliable / drowning.
Another question Steve. Would you say you are best sitting the SOtM switch near the Dac and music server, or near to the Router? So the 20m length of Cat 7 before or after the switch?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Thanks for that Steve. I was going to buy a Paul Hynes supply, but he was way too late and seemed a bit unreliable / drowning.
Another question Steve. Would you say you are best sitting the SOtM switch near the Dac and music server, or near to the Router? So the 20m length of Cat 7 before or after the switch?

You can use longer cable between router and switch, but should use shorter from switch to server/DAC, and this shorter cable should be high quality, like the SOtM Ethernet cable with filter.

For LPS, the SBooster is a good choice, if it has the current capacity you need:

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collec...-p-p-mkii-power-supply?variant=22207470403644

Steve N.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The Sotm sNH-10G I received was a 9 volt but I changed it up to 12 volt (optional via a simple internal change of a lug) and am now using a 12v Kingrex linear psu which I already had.

Sounds great. Beautiful balance and just brings a touch more musical flow and natural timbre with a nice upswing of lively punch to the dynamics as well. Happy with the investment of putting a switch in here.

Here is a review by Jay Luong recently on Audio Bacon. Nice rant at the very start on subjectivity and objectivity in reviewing... Jay is a fairly straight shooter.

https://audiobacon.net/2019/04/05/sotm-snh-10g-audiophile-ethernet-switch-review/amp/

Last edited:
Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
After posting this "Dual-SOtM switches + Cybershaft OP20 Tweak", I have been receiving calls from friends, saying that I am unrealistic.
I admit so, because the total cost of two SOtM switches, Cybershaft Limited2 OP20 and the associated LPS/powercord/clock cables/optical transievers/optical cables can be more than USD10k.
o_O

Therefore I asked friends and Clones Audio dealer in Hong Kong to try the tweak with other audiophile switches which have SFP sockets and allow optical connection, such as Clones Audio SG112-24 MOD switches or the Buffalo BS-GS-2016?A ...etc
https://www.clonesaudio.com/product-page/sg112-24-mod
https://www.buffalo.jp/product/detail/bs-gs2016_a.html

I am happy to report to you that all these Clones-Clones/Buffalo-Clones ...etc optical dual-switches work! They all give sonic improvement similar to dual-SOtM+OP20 but the magnitude is lower certainly, due to the lack of the supreme Cybershaft OP20 clock.

Here is an interesting combination : two Clones Audio SG112-24 MOD switches but one is the OCXO version and the other is Femto version.
The owner said that the former is richer in midrange whereas the latter is quieter and more neutral so combining them gives the best sonic mix!
And plugging a Taiko Audio Setchi D2 electrical groundbox into the downstream Clones Audio switch further improves the sound.
:D

Dual-Clones switches.jpeg

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
After posting this "Dual-SOtM switches + Cybershaft OP20 Tweak", I have been receiving calls from friends, saying that I am unrealistic.
I admit so, because the total cost of two SOtM switches, Cybershaft Limited2 OP20 and the associated LPS/powercord/clock cables/optical transievers/optical cables can be more than USD10k.
o_O

Therefore I asked friends and Clones Audio dealer in Hong Kong to try the tweak with other audiophile switches which have SFP sockets and allow optical connection, such as Clones Audio SG112-24 MOD switches or the Buffalo BS-GS-2016?A ...etc

I am happy to report to you that all these Clones-Clones/Buffalo-Clones ...etc optical dual-switches work! They all give sonic improvement similar to dual-SOtM+OP20 but the magnitude is lower certainly, due to the lack of the supreme Cybershaft OP20 clock.

Here is an interesting combination : two Clones Audio SG112-24 MOD switches but one is the OCXO version and the other is Femto version.
The owner said that the former is richer in midrange whereas the latter is quieter and more neutral so combining them gives the best sonic mix!
And plugging a Taiko Audio Setchi D2 electrical groundbox into the downstream Clones Audio switch further improves the sound.

View attachment 50302

BTW, SOtM is using the two switch series configuration, but without optical, at the Chicago show.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
BTW, SOtM is using the two switch series configuration, but without optical, at the Chicago show.
You mean the coming Axpona Show?

Why not trying/demoing the optical connection?
It's so easy. The sonic reault is excellent.
And the cost is much lower than using an good audiophile ethernet cable to bridge the two SOtM switches.

Well, maybe they want to sell more SOtM ethernet cables?
:rolleyes:

Reactions: orange55

justubes

Aug 10, 2015

This was exactly how I tested with obvious results. Somehow, I felt the improvement ts began to steer towards a further quieter and more neutral much like the direction of having an ocxo switch followed by a tcxo switch, but at a much higher and refined level which is not comparable.

It all comes down a very versatile high quality networking setup which one can the fine tune to sonic characteristics with different and better power supplies, ethernet cables connecting the 2 switches, power cords powering the supplies of the switches, filters in between etc. etc.....

I view the network setup as a whole system on its own and the permutations are just as endless as the main systems setup choices.

It can easily cost a rather substantial sum invested to a top class network system that one has to decide when it is enough and be very satisfied.

Upgrades to this "networking" system can yield results as or even more significant than replacing equipment in the main system.

It will not surprise me that over a course of a year of so, many posts will be seen where further investments and upgrades prove beneficial to the sound.

It really makes sense for those who have given up on cd's, lp, tape and go the route of streaming to justify such an advanced networking system.

It trust it can and will be very rewarding.

I, for one will only revisit my networking setup, as currently, the investment is equal to my dac and am awaited my new dac to arrive and optimise before touching on the networking side again.

The uptone switch may be a good comprise of improve cost vs. performance perspective.

I have gone through dozens of upgraded ocxo and vcxo switches and fibre converters which can clearly be a nice improvement to those who have or are already using them.

They will know what it brings to the table and the appearance of true audiograde switch/fibre converters"only with" masterclock addition is truly steps ahead without doubt.

The differences I feel are very possibly larger than even a change to the most expensive implementation of any server, bear in mind that the source is still the networking system and not the streamer, renderer, dac.... Garbage in =garbage out still applies.

I plan plan to upgrade my 1st fmc feeding the sotm switch 10 meters away.

So an investment in another switch unfortunately to far to share my mutec clocks output is too far away, so together with an additional external clock, clock cables, linear supplies will not be such a simple and rather costly endeavour, but certainly will possibly bump up another level od SQ and prove beneficial given such an additional upgrade.

Hope by then, more users will dive into such a setup reporting substantial gains, but I am more than contented as such now in the never ending quest of improvements possible in audio.

Maybe with a Statcore for my current switch may be possibly more beneficial....

I am certain it will with careful matching and implementation, but everyone has to weigh the incremental gains and point of diminishing returns vs further upgrades to the main audio system.

Last edited:

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
o_O

View attachment 50302
Thanks CK for bringing my combo here for sharing.
Just wanna give some more information about the network configuration here:
ordinary router--->RJ45-->media converter-->glass fiber--->Clones OCXO switch-->glass fiber-->Clones Femto switch-->RJ45-->Lumin U1 Mini
Both router and media converter come with ordinary British 13A plug. And 2X Plixir linear power supply support 2X Clones switches separately.
And the fiber is from Corning glass fiber. Compared with the previous experience of other industrial grade fiber, the glass fiber sounds more clear and wider soundstage.
The changes in the sonic performance, believed, come from the effects of isolation and the character of both Ocxo and Femto.
Thanks.

Reactions: RussR and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks CK for bringing my combo here for sharing.
Just wanna give some more information about the network configuration here:
ordinary router--->RJ45-->media converter-->glass fiber--->Clones OCXO switch-->glass fiber-->Clones Femto switch-->RJ45-->Lumin U1 Mini
Both router and media converter come with ordinary British 13A plug. And 2X Plixir linear power supply support 2X Clones switches separately.
And the fiber is from Corning glass fiber. Compared with the previous experience of other industrial grade fiber, the glass fiber sounds more clear and wider soundstage.
The changes in the sonic performance, believed, come from the effects of isolation and the character of both Ocxo and Femto.
Thanks.

Hello Wilson,
Thanks for chiming in!

May we know which media converter and transceivers you are using?
How much does this media converter+glass fiber contribute to the sonic improvement after the implementation of dual-Clones switches linked optically?

Many thanks!

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Just for a more detailed comprehensive discussion.

My network line is isolated for the outside world via fible network installed. That means no ethernet copper network cables being an anteanna for noise.

I still fing using fibre coneection between my music server.

I do not want discuss whether this is mean to be for isolation in my context, but would expect tnose with copper connection to possibly benefit form further double fibre isolation for those who want to further venture there.

In effect, my network has 2 set of different fibre isolation, i am not certain if isolation is even required for me, but there is a clear difference. This could possibly from the inherent fibre optical technology which in the industry, is ahead of any rj based networking protocol.

CAT8 with extra shielding means nothing compared to fibre technology.

It looks to be lumin has gone this direction, so has MSB, but for connection between there own devices as proISL from their previous rj based connections.

Fibre seems to add less variable, but again WDD reports even difference between brands of optical fibre, this has been may findings as well. So this gives an idea of the many variables which impacts networking.

Lumin lead, Wklie reports difference both between brands of fibre modules as well as types of fibre wavelengths which 1310nm is preferred.

One could end up spending more than the cost of the Sotm swictch alone including many hours of trials optimising the system with different brands of of fibre modules and fibre cables alone finding the preferred match.

Synergy may be even harder to achieve than upgranding your main audio hardware.

But in general, fibre provides a cleaner quieter but leaner sound over what is typical of copper based networks, which can be said to be fuller and warmer, to me, more distortion.

Copper setup may possibly be preferred if ones system is on the leaner or brighter side, but one clear thing is that with ocxo based networking devices takes glare and harshness away.

Some may then argue that ocxo based clocking may sound mellower over typical vcxo network devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I wonder if anyone connect the 2 SOTM switch to CH Precision T1 clock. That would be a hell of a combo

Reactions: Emorante

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I wonder if anyone connect the 2 SOTM switch to CH Precision T1 clock. That would be a hell of a combo

CH Precision T1 is super-expensive! o_O

I am eager to compare Cybershaft OP20/OP21 vs CH Precision T1.
Don't have such a chance yet.
Any WBF members who have witnessed such a comparison please report on WBF.
Many thanks!

Reactions: Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
CH Precision T1 is super-expensive! o_O

I am eager to compare Cybershaft OP20/OP21 vs CH Precision T1.
Don't have such a chance yet.
Any WBF members who have witnessed such a comparison please report on WBF.
Many thanks!

Doesn't the CH Precision T1 has 6 outputs so can use 2 for 2 switch, 1 for Tx USB-ultra, 1 for DAC?

No one has the specification for it though.

Emorante

Jul 8, 2017
Italy
[QUOTE = "asiufy, post: 566053, member: 1550"] Consiglio vivamente lo switch SoTM * con l'ingresso di clock *, a condizione, naturalmente, che il DAC abbia un output di sincronizzazione dell'orologio.
Su MSB, aggiungere l'interruttore da solo era buono, ma con l'opzione dell'orologio, era semplicemente notevole.
Ora fa parte del nostro set di riferimento e siamo anche rivenditori di SoTM. [/ QUOTE]
Ciao
hello Alex please shut me down. you say that I can connect my dac reference word sync out to sotm snh? should I order 50 Ohms or 75 GMOs? thanks and bye

WilsonDaDa

Apr 10, 2019
Hello Wilson,
Thanks for chiming in!

May we know which media converter and transceivers you are using?
How much does this media converter+glass fiber contribute to the sonic improvement after the implementation of dual-Clones switches linked optically?

Many thanks!
1. Media converter is from FS.com and transceivers are from FiberStore.com 1550nm 80km. There is a ifi DC Purifier connect the plug and the converter.
2. For the performance of converter, it is not easy to comment for it has to be used with the switch altogether. My router only has RJ45 outputs so i need to convert RJ45 to Fiber output and then make the fiber connect the switch.
3. The overall significant improvement comes first with the introduction of the converter and fiber in my system. Before Clones switch, a Paul Pang PPA 10M switch which needed to be used with 10M clock was employed in the system. It comes alone first with lan cable which was later replaced by the TP Link converter and industrial fiber. The replacement had great effects in noise reduction and sonic improvement. And it even went better when i used 2X PPA switch with glass fiber. That's why waiting for chances to have Dual Clones switch....

Reactions: RussR and CKKeung

Emorante

Jul 8, 2017
Italy
i had the answer
The word sync output is either a 44.1kHz or a 48kHz clock. The SOtM devices requires a 10MHz

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing