SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches x2 : The NEW KING of USB/Network Gadget Setup

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Hey @Darmstadtium how did you get the Finisar 1324 to work with your Cisco 2960? My Cisco won’t recognise the SFP. I can put one of the 1324s in at the ER end of the SM cable and it works, but I have to use a Cisco compatible SFP made by FS at the 2960 end. I have not enabled any management on the 2960.
Yes. Finisar 1324 is excellent choice.
I use it between the two Buffalo 2016.
all others linked with Sablon ethernet copper cables.
Amazing effect !

Reactions: kerisabe

kerisabe

May 23, 2020
Jakarta, Indonesia.
I went to the Buffalo 2016 route.
I upgrated the internal wireing with Mundorf silver gold.
after that Jord helped me with upgrating the clocks with Pink Faun Ultra Model.
This was not cheap but it turn to be an amazing upgrade.
I have 4 Buffalo 2016 now. stacking them brings additional benefits.
all servers including th3 Taiko Extreme benefit a LOT from this upgrate.

would u mind sharing the details of the internal cables upgrade? And how much is the total cost of the PF upgraded buffalo 2016? The shipping from Japan is super slow, the sender apparently is using surface/sea shipment, I havent even received my HFS1155 yet.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
would u mind sharing the details of the internal cables upgrade? And how much is the total cost of the PF upgraded buffalo 2016? The shipping from Japan is super slow, the sender apparently is using surface/sea shipment, I havent even received my HFS1155 yet.

Sure
here it is my Buffalo 2016 mode with Nenon mode ( Mundorf silver gold wire)
and with Pink Faun Ultra clocks.
please see the pictures :

In regards to costs you can purchese Mundorf siler gold wire yourself . It is around 100 E / 1m.
If you want the Pink Faun Ultra clock there are 2 options:

1. Contact Nenon who might find time to help you with that upgrate (shipping to USA).
2. Contact Jord from Pink Faun (shipping to Netherlands)

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Pweg & Hieukm,

I‘m just wondering what does two network switches have to do with the CH T1 Clock ? The network connection on the T1 is just used to configure/turn on/ turn off the T1. The GPS module does not use the network connection. So what performance gains do you expect with two switches in a row ? I see no relevance to the performance of the CH T1 Clock.

I myself have a CH T1 as well as a CH C1.

The only place it could make a diffrence is with the CH C1 streamer/Dac which if you have the roon/ethernet card it would make to the streaming performance if 2 switches are employed In series.

Last edited:

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Pweg & Hieukm,

I‘m just wondering what does two network switches have to do with the CH T1 Clock ? The network connection on the T1 is just used to configure/turn on/ turn off the T1. The GPS module does not use the network connection. So what performance gains do you expect with two switches in a row ? I see no relevance to the performance of the CH T1 Clock.

The only place it could make a diffrence is with the CH C1 streamer/Dac which if you have the roon/ethernet card it would make to the streaming performance if 2 switches are employed In series.
Maybe I’m mistaken but I think the idea is to use the clock on the network switches; not the other way around?

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
T
Pweg & Hieukm,

The clock in the T1 provides the single reclocking frequency across both switches and dac thus lowering jitter. And yes. It’s in relation to C1 with streaming board.

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
Blackmorec and Pweg,

Thank you for your responses, I mis-understood the intial response, you are going to use the CH T1 to clock the two switches to increase the performance of the switches, not the other way round. I myself was until recently using the CH T1 to clock both the CH C1 and the EtherRegen switch to good effect. But since buying the Ediscreation Slient Switch - which does not have a 10Mhz input, the CH T1 now only clocks the CH C1. Note the new switch is better performing than the EtherRegen even when it was clocked by the T1.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
Blackmorec and Pweg,

Thank you for your responses, I mis-understood the intial response, you are going to use the CH T1 to clock the two switches to increase the performance of the switches, not the other way round. I myself was until recently using the CH T1 to clock both the CH C1 and the EtherRegen switch to good effect. But since buying the Ediscreation Slient Switch - which does not have a 10Mhz input, the CH T1 now only clocks the CH C1. Note the new switch is better performing than the EtherRegen even when it was clocked by the T1.
that's interesting because i just got the Sotm and that replaced the etherregen. Both clocked. I liked the Sotm so much ive ordered another

sasaki89

Jun 10, 2021
I’m new to this setup. I have a 10g switch with no option. Considering buying another one with full load to do a stack.

I got a few questions here.

1.Is it worth doing so? Or it is going to work only Full opt + Full opt to do the stack.
2.What cable would you recommendto connect between the switches. Ethernet or fiber optic?
3.What voltage should I go for. Currently I got 12v unit. And also is there any different between 50ohm and 75 ohm clock? Which one should I go for.

Thank you

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I have to admit SOtM SNH-10G is one amazing switch. I recently was using etheregen network switch > Eno Ag. After adding SOtM switch the sound quality has got much better (big step up, not just minor change). My chain is pretty long on digital side, but SoTM SNH-10G has been one of the best addition on the digital side.
My current digital chain is Router > unifi switch > fiber optic to another unifi switch > cat 8 ethernet to SOtM SNH-10g > cat 8 ethernet to Etheregen > Eno Ag passive filter > Antipodes CX > cat 8 ethernet to antipodes S30 > USBe > USB cable to Ideon 3R master time reclocker > USB cable to DAC (esoteric K-10XD).
Happy listening

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
As far as 50 or 75 ohm clock that depends on if you use an external clock and which it is set for. I have a Mutec Ref10 with both 75 and 50 ohm outputs. I also have a Etherregen and SOtM switch (and the ENO Ag and fiber between the switches), I have them both clocked with the Mutec. One switch wants a 50 and the other a 75. Unlike you I did not have the foresight to order them the same or know that I would want to clock them.

If you have 2 switches it makes sense to have them the same then find a clock with 2 outputs.

An external clock is a big big boost in SQ. Decreased noise level and much better timing and pace.

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
I have to admit SOtM SNH-10G is one amazing switch. I recently was using etheregen network switch > Eno Ag. After adding SOtM switch the sound quality has got much better (big step up, not just minor change). My chain is pretty long on digital side, but SoTM SNH-10G has been one of the best addition on the digital side.
My current digital chain is Router > unifi switch > fiber optic to another unifi switch > cat 8 ethernet to SOtM SNH-10g > cat 8 ethernet to Etheregen > Eno Ag passive filter > Antipodes CX > cat 8 ethernet to antipodes S30 > USBe > USB cable to Ideon 3R master time reclocker > USB cable to DAC (esoteric K-10XD).
Happy listening
I would encourage you to experiment with the order of your setup. In mine, there is significantly better sound by putting the EtherRegen (with external clocked and with LPSU), then the SOtM (fully upgraded and with external sPS-1000), then the ENO filter. The reason for this is that the EtherRegen has a slightly better fiber optic interface than the SOtM switch, but the SOtM switch has a much better synergy with the ENO. By synergy I just mean they sound better in this order (in my system). How you link the two switches also has a noticeable effect in the final sound. I chose the SOtM Cat 7 ethernet cable for the right balance of detail and warmth.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
vgmbpty
I have a similar set up asRaChik: SOtM fiber to EtherRegen Eno Ag to Innous Statement. I am using SOtM Cat7 in most places. I will try swapping the SOtM and ER this week. I had a English Electric 8Switch last in line but found the ER better last and EE8 first with SOtM in between. I have not tried moving the SOtM out of the middle, not sure why, probably just lazy.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
I would encourage you to experiment with the order of your setup. In mine, there is significantly better sound by putting the EtherRegen (with external clocked and with LPSU), then the SOtM (fully upgraded and with external sPS-1000), then the ENO filter. The reason for this is that the EtherRegen has a slightly better fiber optic interface than the SOtM switch, but the SOtM switch has a much better synergy with the ENO. By synergy I just mean they sound better in this order (in my system). How you link the two switches also has a noticeable effect in the final sound. I chose the SOtM Cat 7 ethernet cable for the right balance of detail and warmth.
Sorry for the late response. I will try this weekend and see how it does. Also, will be getting mutec ref10 120 se in near future and hopeful to get best out of digital.

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Well, I did try Etheregen > Sotm > Eno Ag (both Sotm and etheregen have their separate LPS). In my system, this did not sound as good. It was a tad bright, small in sound stage and bit more noise. The bass was little tighter though. All in all, I prefer my old set up and went back to Sotm > etheregen > Eno Ag. It tells how different each system is, and how different combination can work for some and not others.

Reactions: vgmbpty

vgmbpty

Aug 16, 2021
São Paulo, Brasil
Well, I did try Etheregen > Sotm > Eno Ag (both Sotm and etheregen have their separate LPS). In my system, this did not sound as good. It was a tad bright, small in sound stage and bit more noise. The bass was little tighter though. All in all, I prefer my old set up and went back to Sotm > etheregen > Eno Ag. It tells how different each system is, and how different combination can work for some and not others.
I have to say it worked for me only after using a Super Farad power supply, Queen Afterdark clock, and entering to the EtherRegen through fiber and Finisar transducers. Agreed, there are so many combinations that tersting is the only way to now.

Reactions: RaChiK

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I wrote a thread about 3 months ago : The Best USB/Network Gadget Setup I have auditioned in 2018 : SOtM+Cybershaft+Uptone.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...itioned-in-2018-sotm-cybershaft-uptone.27025/

It has been surpassed in just 3 months' time!
I listened to the following setup last night :

View attachment 49979

Most of the components used are the same : Cybershaft Limited2 OP20 10M clock, SOtM tx-USBultra usb conditioner, Habst 5N Silver Cryo clock cables & coaxial digital cables; Lessloss C-Marc Supercord with Firewall 64X module, Chord Blu2 for upscaling before entering a Chord DAVE dac ...etc
Please refer to my previous post.

The only difference was that TWO SOtM sNH-10G Network Switches were used.
These audiophile switches have got SFP sockets for optical transceivers.
So they were linked up in-series by a single-mode optical cable.
View attachment 49980

The Cybershaft Limited OP20 has three 10M clock outputs so the two SOtM switches and one SOtM tx-USBultra were clocked/syned by it.

The effect is phenomenal!
Once we have heard the dual-switches config, nobody are willing to go back to single-switch config!

The sonic improvement was in every aspects but most importantly the background quietness.
Suddenly much much more could be heard and the sound becomes so natural.

I am not a tech guy but I speculate that the optical connection has isolated most if not all of the noise coming from the CAS components & home network.

The two SOtM switches and the tx-USBultra clocked/syned by the extremely accurate Cybershaft 10M clock may be acting as reclockers.
An analogy may be the tweak of cascading/stacking multiple Mutec MC3+ together (https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1388254422).

My friends and I also did the following comparison : One SOtM switch+Cybershaft Clock vs Two SOtM switches (no Cybershaft Clock).
We found that the latter performed better! The sound was more natural.

If I can get hold of more SOtM sNH-10G Switches, I will try using three or four of them together for sure!
But of course I expect the Law of Diminishing Returns will kick in.

Anyway I am confident to say that this Dual-SOtM Switches is currently the best CAS network setup I have ever encountered.
Very nice indeed

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Also tried EtherRegen > SOtM > ENO Ag. It did not work well for me. Thin and lacking low bass.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing