SOtM sNH-10G Switch : Mods & Tweaks!

ducatirider916

Jan 5, 2022
I saw someone post the same question on Facebook sotm group about this ? If that was indeed you , I am glad to see you got sorted.

So I decided to finally upgrade the power supply to my sotm switch. Using a single SPS500 with a Y cable from sotm. weird thing is sound severely deteriorated if the sps500 is close to the switch. And gets better if it’s away. I can’t understand why.
anyways after much research , I ordered a dual rail Plixir Elite BDC , should be here next month (pandemic !) I am going to buy audio sensibility dc cable s for the same. Will keep you guys posted about the out come
The Pinkfaun clock upgrade plan inside the switch has been parked for now.
yes. that was me. thank you. good luck with the plixir. i have read great things about it. ribbon.jpg

Reactions: Darmstadtium

Darmstadtium

Dec 18, 2019
Ireland
Ok the Plixir dual rail arrived today. I took out the sps500 and put this bad boy in. Oh my , good difference. Now that I have heard what the Plixir do , I concur that SPS500 is not a good power supply for the switch.
next is to upgrade the DC cable to audio sensibility ones

PrTv

Sep 28, 2021
Can anyone tell me how do I disassemble the unit? It doesn’t seem to be straightforward as the board seems to be fixed with the back panel. Thanks!

Rejean

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2021
Can anyone tell me how do I disassemble the unit? It doesn’t seem to be straightforward as the board seems to be fixed with the back panel. Thanks!
Yes, I have the same question.

ST Francis

Jul 27, 2020
View attachment 70398

IMHO an audiophile switch is a mandatory components for all CAS audiophiles.
My favourite audiophile switches in the current market are SOtM sNH-10G, Melco S-100 and Telegartner M12 Gold.
I shared my views on them on various WBF threads before.
They possess diff sonic characters and if used in a dual-switch config, the mix&match of their sonics can make all CAS audiophiles happy.

Amongst the three of them, I like the SOtM very much but some friends of mine think that it's a bit lean in the midrange and the bass is a bit light.

Therefore let me share with you two mods/tweaks for remedy.

Mod/Tweak One :

When ordering the SOtM sNH-10G, buyers may select 7N UPOCC copper or silver stranded internal wires as an option.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/snh-10g/

Here are photos showing that these wires are just plug&play.

View attachment 67762
View attachment 67763

Audio Sensibility makes a much better internal wire for the SOtM switch.
https://audiosensibility.com/blog/

View attachment 67764
View attachment 67765

So what's the replacement result?
Improved musicality, richness & bass!

Easy and completely reversible.
Inexpensive.
This is a must-try for every SOtM switch owners!
:cool:

I will post Mod Two very soon.
Pls stay tuned.
;)
I recently read this thread and based upon the suggestion above I ordered the cable for my SOtM switch. It has now been in the switch for 8 days. Still settling in.

So far amazing enhanced dynamics. A serious benefit. My network includes a Waversa WRouter, Paul Pang quad switch, Melco s10 and the SOtM. The outcome far exceeded my expectations. A bargain at the cost.

Thanks for the advice
John

Reactions: Darmstadtium

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
View attachment 70398

IMHO an audiophile switch is a mandatory components for all CAS audiophiles.
My favourite audiophile switches in the current market are SOtM sNH-10G, Melco S-100 and Telegartner M12 Gold.
I shared my views on them on various WBF threads before.
They possess diff sonic characters and if used in a dual-switch config, the mix&match of their sonics can make all CAS audiophiles happy.

Amongst the three of them, I like the SOtM very much but some friends of mine think that it's a bit lean in the midrange and the bass is a bit light.

Therefore let me share with you two mods/tweaks for remedy.

Mod/Tweak One :

When ordering the SOtM sNH-10G, buyers may select 7N UPOCC copper or silver stranded internal wires as an option.

https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/shop/snh-10g/

Here are photos showing that these wires are just plug&play.

View attachment 67762
View attachment 67763

Audio Sensibility makes a much better internal wire for the SOtM switch.
https://audiosensibility.com/blog/

View attachment 67764
View attachment 67765

So what's the replacement result?
Improved musicality, richness & bass!

Easy and completely reversible.
Inexpensive.
This is a must-try for every SOtM switch owners!
:cool:

I will post Mod Two very soon.
Pls stay tuned.
;)
Little late to the party! May I know if you have compared sNG-10G + external 10MHz clock with Telegartner M12 Gold Switch? I currently own M12 switch and Merging +clock and wondering if fully tricked out sNH-10G switch would be better than M12. I would appreciate any insight, thank you!

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi.
I'm going to buy the new switch from Taiko Audio, so I'm going to sell my Melco S-100 which has the Pink Faun Clock Ultra OCXO upgrade.
So if anyone is interested send me a PM.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Little late to the party! May I know if you have compared sNG-10G + external 10MHz clock with Telegartner M12 Gold Switch? I currently own M12 switch and Merging +clock and wondering if fully tricked out sNH-10G switch would be better than M12. I would appreciate any insight, thank you!
Hi zebo67,

Firstly the SOtM switch and Telegartner M12 Gold switch have very diff characters. The former has excellent resolution & upper freq extension whereas the latter's specialty is musicality & "analogueness".

Secondly Telegartner Japan will launch a better switch dedicated to network audio.
It's called M12 Switch Premium :

Screenshot_2022-12-30-03-49-19-767-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

Thirdly I now prefer the combination of Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO Extreme Version paired with their Firebird LPS more.
This combo gives outstanding sonic performance and its performance/price ratio is impeccable!
Please refer to the following threads :

;)

Reactions: WilsonDaDa

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Hi zebo67,

Firstly the SOtM switch and Telegartner M12 Gold switch have very diff characters. The former has excellent resolution & upper freq extension whereas the latter's specialty is musicality & "analogueness".

Secondly Telegartner Japan will launch a better switch dedicated to network audio.

(removed photo)

Thirdly I now prefer the combination of Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO Extreme Version paired with their Firebird LPS more.
This combo gives outstanding sonic performance and its performance/price ratio is impeccable!

;)
@CKKeung

Hi CK,

I've read both threads in the past; very interesting and informative. Would you provide pricing on the Silent Switch (regular and Extreme versions) and the Firebird? I've been on the Ediscreation site a number of times but I don't see pricing and there is no distribution in the US noted on the website. Thanks

I assume when you pair the Silent Switch with the Firebird the IEC is removed from the Silent Switch?

Also, do you use the Fiber Box with Silent Switch and Firebird?

Finally, have you compared the Uptone Audio ER to the Silent Switch?

Regards

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hi,

I just purchased two of the SOtM 10G switches and of course, now I'd like to try it with a linear power supply.

Has anyone tried an Uptone LPS-1.2 to power the SOtM 10G? I assume it would work fine, using the 9V setting?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
@CKKeung

Hi CK,

I've read both threads in the past; very interesting and informative. Would you provide pricing on the Silent Switch (regular and Extreme versions) and the Firebird? I've been on the Ediscreation site a number of times but I don't see pricing and there is no distribution in the US noted on the website. Thanks

I assume when you pair the Silent Switch with the Firebird the IEC is removed from the Silent Switch?

Also, do you use the Fiber Box with Silent Switch and Firebird?

Finally, have you compared the Uptone Audio ER to the Silent Switch?

Regards
Hi Pokey77,
Here are the prices in HK$, without shipping cost & import tax of your country :
The switches & Fiberbox have internal linear powersupply but Edison can replace or add a dc input on them for pairing with Firebird LPS.
Pls communicate with Edison Wong via emails.

I auditioned the older Fiberbox1 but not the current Fiberbox2, so can't answer your question. Sorry.

For the EtherRegen, I'm one of the earliest buyers in Hong Kong.
However I never like it. It has been gathering dust in my store room.
IMO it is easily surpassed by SOtM, Melco, Telegartner M12 Gold and last but not least, Ediscreation's switches.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilsonDaDa

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
Hi zebo67,

View attachment 102251

;)
Appreciate your insight on SOtM and Ediscreation Switch. I already started going down the path of SOtM as I am very keen on learning the effects of external master clock with sNH-10 and how the switch sounds in my system. I may bring Ediscreation as my next project :)

zebo67

VIP/Donor
Apr 27, 2017
systems.audiogon.com
Hi Pokey77,
Here are the prices in HK$, without shipping cost & import tax of your country :
The switches & Fiberbox have internal linear powersupply but Edison can replace or add a dc input on them for pairing with Firebird LPS.

I auditioned the older Fiberbox1 but not the current Fiberbox2, so can't answer your question. Sorry.

IMO it is easily surpassed by SOtM, Melco, Telegartner M12 Gold and last but not least, Ediscreation's switches.
I agree with your feedback on EtherRegen. It did not sound good when I tried in my system. In fact, my system sounded better without it.

Reactions: CKKeung

Pokey77

Feb 16, 2022
Hi Pokey77,

@CKKeung
Excellent and concise summary of the Ediscreation gear, thank you CK.

CKKeung and zebo67, I appreciate both of your comments on the ER. I was also in the first few batches of purchasers for the ER here in the US. It is interesting that I have a quite different experience than both of you, it works very well in my system. But I am always interested in how I can take my lan setup to new levels at affordable pricing and with fewer boxes and cables. Ediscreation's products are compelling. Thanks for the insight.

@zebo67
You know I'm always interested to read about your projects.

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
Hi,

I just purchased two of the SOtM 10G switches and of course, now I'd like to try it with a linear power supply.

Has anyone tried an Uptone LPS-1.2 to power the SOtM 10G? I assume it would work fine, using the 9V setting?
I have not tried the Uptone, but have tried some Zero Zero, iFi power supply and the SOTM sPs-500. The 500 power supply works very well and adds more body and weight to the sound which makes it more realistic. Highly recommend.

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
Ok the Plixir dual rail arrived today. I took out the sps500 and put this bad boy in. Oh my , good difference. Now that I have heard what the Plixir do , I concur that SPS500 is not a good power supply for the switch.
next is to upgrade the DC cable to audio sensibility ones
I have just moved from the sps-500 SE to the Plixir dual rail with the Plixir Statement DC cables for both of my SOTM switches. The DC cables are a must and they are similar price to the Audio Sensibility cables and being outside the US it’s far less hassle getting the cables local than the import lottery of charges.

This review is spot on for my experience, save me rewriting the same thing. https://audiobacon.net/2021/08/06/the-worlds-best-audiophile-linear-power-supplies/10/?amp=1

Highly recommended.

vladinsky

Dec 12, 2020
I have just moved from the sps-500 SE to the Plixir dual rail with the Plixir Statement DC cables for both of my SOTM switches. The DC cables are a must and they are similar price to the Audio Sensibility cables and being outside the US it’s far less hassle getting the cables local than the import lottery of charges.

This review is spot on for my experience, save me rewriting the same thing. https://audiobacon.net/2021/08/06/the-worlds-best-audiophile-linear-power-supplies/10/?amp=1

Highly recommended.
Hi,
I agree with you, the plixir is a superb LPSU and I had several others (e.g., Ferrum, Uptone JS2, Hypsos). Actually I had 3x Plixir Elite at some point in various voltages.
However, in my experience you can benefit quite a lot moving from a dual rail Plixir to 2x Plixir (not powering two devices with same power supply) - I thought I could save some money from using one Plixir Elite on two devices but after testing with several devices, the 2x Plixir always resulted in a significant gain, so I decided to take the plunge.

fxg

Dec 15, 2019
Hi Pokey77,

CKKeung have you tried the melco S10? Also have you tried and got good results using a second switch with the M12 gold. i use the M12.

Totima

Jun 5, 2023
Yes, I have the same question.
First time poster.. I was inspired by this thread and had some spare Mundorf SG wires laying around from a different tweak that I thought I would put to good use.

Did anyone answer this question of disassembly? I've tried to disassemble, managed to get all the screws out (easier said than done) but it appears the board is fixed with rubber/plastic grommets from the base. I'm worried if I try to pry them out, I will damage the board.. Did SotM change their design to prevent this mod from happening or am I missing something here?

orange55

Sep 13, 2022
London
First time poster.. I was inspired by this thread and had some spare Mundorf SG wires laying around from a different tweak that I thought I would put to good use.

Did anyone answer this question of disassembly? I've tried to disassemble, managed to get all the screws out (easier said than done) but it appears the board is fixed with rubber/plastic grommets from the base. I'm worried if I try to pry them out, I will damage the board.. Did SotM change their design to prevent this mod from happening or am I missing something here?
If you ease the out slowly from bottom they will come away and you will be able to just slot them back in afterwards. Hope that helps.

Reactions: Totima

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing