Soulution vs Boulder vs TAD electronics vs MBL which do you prefers more?

feduher

Nov 2, 2012
Owning now the Soulutions 700 monos/pre, speakers are the MBL 101 MKII I goes to the Munich 2013 show, and I was hearing many systems, and in my humble opinion, Soulution was a little lean, TAD a little dark and Boulder a little too sweet but at the end better, I recognize that the best system for me was the living voice with Audio note Kondo, but kondo can´t work with my speakers, the second best one was the TAD system and the MBL, I was very disappointed with Constellation with TAD reference one speakers, surprised by how good sounds CH precision electronics with VIVID speakers and with Stenheim speakers(Alumine 2 way) in two different rooms, also Absolare with Altair speakers had very good sound, and in one of my 3 vists to the Magico S5 with Spectral room they also was good, not so in the others to auditions in this room.

I will be very pleased to know your opinions and advice, based on what did you heard about these electronics(MBL, TAD Boulder perhaps the new series 2100, CH precision, Balabo, never heard.., and sorry and yes the soulutions are for sale and accept yours offers, are 220 located in Europe.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I think if you search (not very deeply) you will see my thoughts on matching amps to MBL 101s.

feduher

Nov 2, 2012
I will do, but for the moment, which are thw two best amps for them? thanks in advance

caesar

May 30, 2010
To save you the findability effort, check out Peter's great review of AVM:

http://www.avshowrooms.com/AVM_Audio.html

Peter anything new on the MBL - Ypsilon match since your recording?

Also, a couple of the members here run their MBLs with top of the line Vac's Statement 450 tubed monoblocks. I have no doubt, knowing Vac, it's a FABULOUS sound, but I wonder if the dynamics / slam, which is a huge realism trigger for many of us for Rock and Blues, is anywhere near a powerful SS amp.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
There many posts here that augment the review, that's why I suggested the search. Suffice it to say, my rule of thumb is 700 watts SS into 4 ohms and at least 200 into 8 ohms tube. But, you will never unlock the full dynamic range potential of the 101 E with tubes. I've tried. Jadis JA 500. The midrange can get damn good but the bass with always fall a little short.

Caesar, I've had the YG Sonjas in the system for several month and I'm getting near MBL holography with the Ypsilon Aelius.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
There many posts here that augment the review, that's why I suggested the search. Suffice it to say, my rule of thumb is 700 watts SS into 4 ohms and at least 200 into 8 ohms tube. But, you will never unlock the full dynamic range potential of the 101 E with tubes. I've tried. Jadis JA 500. The midrange can get damn good but the bass with always fall a little short.

Caesar, I've had the YG Sonjas in the system for several month and I'm getting near MBL holography with the Ypsilon Aelius.

Peter , have you read Fremer's review on the Aelius , do you concur with views on the amp . Which tube are you running it with , stock ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Peter , have you read Fremer's review on the Aelius , do you concur with views on the amp . Which tube are you running it with , stock ?

I will read it...i recall it was a powerful super neutral amp that could probably attract those who like very linear sound. is it a powerhouse for tough loads? no idea. but it was not full of tube Bloom at all. Put another way, i wonder what people who like the Ayre monos would say about the Ypsilon. My two cents.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Now that I think about it, the guys at audiobeat have put both Ayre monos and Ypsilon ref monos on their Recommended List...

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010

I have the same amps Michael had. I find the magic level to be as high or higher than his review suggests, and I have a very revealing loudspeaker, the Sonja. I'll have the review produced soon. I am using the Siemans input tubes and far prefer them to the Russian tube, as Michael did. You have to read his review closely to get the "rave." You can hear their magic on the United Home Audio Phase 11 Reel to Reel review listening session. http://www.avshowrooms.com/UHA_Reel_to_Reel__Deck.html

feduher

Nov 2, 2012
Thanks to all for your help, the true is that sometimes I feel that the power that you need is incredible, this is the reason for what I think that the new Boulder series 2100, monos, can be a good option. In relation to a Tube amps, I have owned the CAT monos, and really I decided to sell them because always I need to adjust the bias etc, I dont know if with the Ypsilon will be need the same work, but I prefer to work with SS.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Why not try MBL Mono's?

feduher

Nov 2, 2012
yes I think that perhaps its the easiest solution: go to MBL electronics, but it´s important to make errors, these toys are expensives. Vitus is another brand to explore, but I don´t know if the have enough current

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing