Sublime Sound

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Marc, this is somehow different. Glad to see that you did not leave the thread after all and are still here making comments. You seem to keep reading and commenting despite the similarity to the issues in your day job with your patients.

Everyone reads for entertainment. Such threads are fun. I have seen many such reruns during lockdown

Reactions: sujay

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Haha, Peter...no similar issues in my day job. But only at conferences and training days involving philosophical introspection.

My day job is enjoyable like my day to day listening. I help people get out of pain, will go philosophical in a few cases where patients are responsive. I love my playback, will go partial cod Shakespeare on epiphany exposition.

It's the quasi religious gate keepers of the broader profession that turn me off. Please, no more linking hands and asking me what am I *really* thinking. They don't wanna know Lol.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yes, the manufacturer wants customer satisfaction, and that effort usually appears to revolve around the normal "hi-fi" experience. Yet as you say, it is about a sound that pleases each of us individually, and each may come to different conclusions.

I would re-write:
"Yes, the manufacturer wants customer satisfaction, and that effort usually appears to revolve around the normal high-end experience. Yet as you say, it is about a sound that pleases each of us individually, and each may come to different conclusions."

The designer of my Reference 3A Reflector monitors also recommends toe in, almost full toe in actually, whereas for my previous MM DeCapo BE monitors he recommends full toe out, because of different speaker geometry. Regardless, eventually also I have achieved the subjectively best result in my room with my Reflector monitors with full toe out, or close to it. Yet that also depends on speaker positioning. When I had the speakers considerably wider apart (and more dampened acoustics), the sound suffered a debilitating loss of dynamics, liveliness and loss of HF extension with full toe out. It was just dull and lacked energy.

The manufacturer's taste is not necessarily my taste, and as a customer I am free to use their product as I see fit. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with arriving at a setup, after some experimentation, that mirrors or comes close to the manufacturer's recommendations. Yet sheepishly taking a manufacturer's "authority" as the last word without further questioning, now that would be drinking the Koolaid and blindly obedient behavior not unlike that in a cult.

Surely we have our preferences. However in my experience it is more efficient and rewarding getting products from manufacturers that show a similitude with our preferences than getting something that does not match our preference and then de-tuning it. IMHO imaging, layering and soundstage are fundamental aspects of sound and are connected with many other aspects such as microdynamics, detail and tonality. My Soundlab's A1px have a very different imaging than the XLF's and I enjoy both. But I do not try to make the Soundlab image like a Wilson or vice-versa.

IMHO researching on the brand, understanding the designer/manucturer aims and motivation, the technical aspects that support them before buying and using the equipment as suggested is not being sheepish. Wilson speakers are delivered with extensive manuals, with advice on room. Curioulsy their recommendation on room treatment is compatible with what is being suggested in this thread.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
No Peter, we had many, many threads addressing toe-in in WBF along the years. Enjoyable stereo and preference did not start in this thread ... ;)

Francisco, there were references to threads specifically about speaker toe in. I did a search on the site and that is the one I found. If you know of others could you please share a link. I would enjoy reading more on the subject. Thank you.

I realize full well that people are happy with their systems and enjoy them and they write about their experiences all the time. No where am I suggesting that anything I am doing is unique or the origination of anything. You seem very comfortable telling me the way things are.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
As I read the many posts here, and Peter’s experience, and the description of energy in the room only now did I think of what Bonnie mentioned repeatedly as one of her primary goals in the acoustic remodel of my room... she wants to create a space that “feels” good. Nearly everyone who has visited my room has commented almost immediately how different the room feels than the upstairs kitchen area where we gather first for a bit of socializing and a glass of wine. The room is quiet and has a very peaceful, soothing feel to it. It feels warm and inviting. Speech is clear and intelligible. When Bonnie stopped by to evaluate at one point, between tracks, we were chatting and both stopped for a moment to comment on the feel of the room.

Without Peter or David visiting, I have no way to know if this relates to managing the energy in the room. All my walls are treated, but without the usual tampons stuck to the walls. (It was a design choice that acoustic materials not be visible. The construction and build is described in my room thread.) No doubt, however, I am fond of the hi-fi sound and my Wilsons, as setup, manifest the designers preferences. Perhaps I will grow weary of the sound and yearn for something new and different, but I am a bit lazy compared to many and not prone to monkeying about preferring to listen to music. It comes from fear of f’ing up what sounds really good (to me).

I do wonder about this “natural sound” idea. As my room is open to the house (if I draw back the curtains) what is playing downstairs can be heard upstairs. I have had visitors (who know nothing of my system) ask if someone is playing a piano downstairs (be they naive or flattering). And the sound upstairs can be very, very good but obviously has no hi-fi attributes of imaging, depth, or soundstage. Is this the “natural sound”? Downstairs I have all this plus the hi-fi attributes as well as the visceral experience of energy of the timpani or kick drum. I like that—something Wilson’s do well.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Tim, this is a nice post. I have been writing that I enjoyed for years the speaker position with toe-in as recommended by Magico. Jim Smith positioned my old Mini IIs with toe-in and I enjoyed that for years. All of the times I auditioned Magico speakers over the years, they were placed with toe-in. It is a different sound. I think it is a more forgiving set up, in that it is easier to find a nice position with toe-in. I think the reason is that the side wall reflections are less involved with the overall sound, but I do not really know. Positioning with toe-in is a satisfying sound, but I have a different preference now. That is all.

Regardless of toe-in, I agree that this is only a hobby for most of us, and what each one of us does is for his own benefit and enjoyment. He can choose to share his process and discovery with others, as I do here, or he can simply enjoy his system by himself or with friends and not share his progress or changes.

I remain confused as to why my posts, and this whole discussion for that matter, seems to cause such strong responses from some members here. How I decide to position my speakers in my room, or what power cords I use, should not in any way harm, threaten, or offend anyone else. I have tried to remain respectful, honest and measured in my responses to questions. It is, after all, just a hobby, and we are in it, supposedly, for enjoyment and conviviality.

It was a German friend who I believe first introduced me to Orinoco Flow. As we were sailing away into a fog bank to weather of some island, he would descend below to the galley and ask us for our fancy coffee orders. He offered espresso, cappuccino, plain coffee, decaf, with or without milk and sugar. We placed our orders, surprised at his resourcefulness. More than once did we wait in anticipation of his promises. Sadly, he always, without fail, handed us black coffee in tin cups, often luck warm. No milk, no sugar. Such were the simpler days. We were grateful nevertheless, and we simply smiled. We were together sailing away, and we were friends.

Your perseverance thru all the muck dragging over the years on your system thread is admirable and very much appreciated. You post some of the most thought proviking and interesting thoughts/observations on WBF...... I too am confused as to the voracity that some of your observations generate......

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's hardly muck dragging, don't exaggerate. Peter has an admirable system, sound and method. I dont see anyone criticising his sound or approach. It works for him, that's all that matters. This has been the only time I've commented negatively, and that's on his current descriptive sense, and why I personally remain a little uneasy over how he's chosen his words and concepts.

Muck dragging? So far off the mark.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Your perseverance thru all the muck dragging over the years on your system thread is admirable and very much appreciated. You post some of the most thought proviking and interesting thoughts/observations on WBF...... I too am confused as to the voracity that some of your observations generate......

Thank you Kingsrule. I appreciate this.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
IMHO imaging, layering and soundstage are fundamental aspects of sound and are connected with many other aspects such as microdynamics, detail and tonality.

Francisco, do you really think I would have been willing to sacrifice any microdynamics? I didn't. And detail resolution and just plain information of what is actually on the recording have never been as good as they are now. Tonality has never been better as well.

My Soundlab's A1px have a very different imaging than the XLF's and I enjoy both. But I do not try to make the Soundlab image like a Wilson or vice-versa.

And I am not trying to make my Reference 3A Reflector speakers into anything than the Reference 3A Reflector speakers that are the very best sounding in my environment and according to my preferences.

My preferences are mine, not slavishly born from some "proper" high end "standard", whatever that may mean, which I feel obliged to adhere to.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, the manufacturer wants customer satisfaction, and that effort usually appears to revolve around the normal "hi-fi" experience. Yet as you say, it is about a sound that pleases each of us individually, and each may come to different conclusions.

The designer of my Reference 3A Reflector monitors also recommends toe in, almost full toe in actually, whereas for my previous MM DeCapo BE monitors he recommends full toe out, because of different speaker geometry. Regardless, eventually also I have achieved the subjectively best result in my room with my Reflector monitors with full toe out, or close to it. Yet that also depends on speaker positioning. When I had the speakers considerably wider apart (and more dampened acoustics), the sound suffered a debilitating loss of dynamics, liveliness and loss of HF extension with full toe out. It was just dull and lacked energy.

The manufacturer's taste is not necessarily my taste, and as a customer I am free to use their product as I see fit. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with arriving at a setup, after some experimentation, that mirrors or comes close to the manufacturer's recommendations. Yet sheepishly taking a manufacturer's "authority" as the last word without further questioning, now that would be drinking the Koolaid and blindly obedient behavior not unlike that in a cult.

I think the summary here for speaker toe-in is... IT DEPENDS...

To all of you who keep arguing about this, stop being so silly! Some speakers sound noticeably better with it (like my horns) and some sound better with none (Like my Reference 3A Master Control MMCs) and some with a tiny bit (like my big panels). It also depends on how much focus one wants (although I think there should be a correct amount and personal taste SHOULD have a limited say here but clearly it does not).

Speakers with ragged off-axis response or deliberately restricted dispersion (like horns) will probably sound best toed-in and speakers with wide, even dispersion should be fine with little to no toe-in.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Keith has sailed away and will not be reading this question, so I will answer for him: I use five Ching Cheng power cords that I got from David Karmeli. Of six cords I tried in my system, these were the best. The stock Chinese cords that came with my Pass Labs amplifiers came in second. They happen to also be made by Ching Cheng, but they are newer, shorter, and not hospital grade.
Thanks. Sorry I considered Ching Cheng to be Taiwanese so that was where i got confused. I also have a few in my system. Much better than stock ones.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Francisco, do you really think I would have been willing to sacrifice any microdynamics? I didn't. And detail resolution and just plain information of what is actually on the recording have never been as good as they are now. Tonality has never been better as well.

And I am not trying to make my Reference 3A Reflector speakers into anything than the Reference 3A Reflector speakers that are the very best sounding in my environment and according to my preferences.

My preferences are mine, not slavishly born from some "proper" high end "standard", whatever that may mean, which I feel obliged to adhere to.

I agree Al. I was planning a very similar response to Fransisco, but you did it first. If anything, I hear "more" and better from your system with it's latest set up changes. And I do from my system as well. Nothing has suffered and all relevant aspects of the sound have improved for me, including as Fransisco writes" imaging, layering and soundstage are fundamental aspects of sound and are connected with many other aspects such as microdynamics, detail and tonality." All of that is better, in your system, and in mine, IMO. By "better", I mean not more pronounced or hyped, but more natural and life like. To want otherwise, is not my goal in the hobby.

Reactions: Al M.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Why do you believe my speakers aren't setup correctly?

i'll just go back to artificial sound in my room that sucks all the energy up because my system has contracted the toe-in disease and doesn't prefer chinese power cords.

Anyways, put me in the @bonzo75 and @spiritofmusic crowd on this thread's enya direction. i'll politely bow out.

Sorry Keith. I never meant to imply that your new speakers are not set up correctly. I simply asked the question because I was curious to know if you had tried it. That was all. Sorry to have suggested otherwise.

I also never intended to imply that you have some artificial sound with no energy. What did I write to make you think that? Toe-in is not some disease, or cult, or Kool-aid. It is simply a different set up appealing to some. I apologize for writing something that solicited such a reaction from you.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It also depends on how much focus one wants (although I think there should be a correct amount and personal taste SHOULD have a limited say here but clearly it does not).

Really, "SHOULD have a limited say"? This does sound like the trappings of a high end cult, whose prescriptions members are expected to dutifully adhere to.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco, there were references to threads specifically about speaker toe in. I did a search on the site and that is the one I found. If you know of others could you please share a link. I would enjoy reading more on the subject. Thank you.

I realize full well that people are happy with their systems and enjoy them and they write about their experiences all the time. No where am I suggesting that anything I am doing is unique or the origination of anything. You seem very comfortable telling me the way things are.

Peter,

Just use this link. https://www.google.com/search?q="toe"+site:whatsbestforum.com&lr=&as_qdr=all&ei=8VKHX8T9GLqEjLsP09mggAU&start=20&sa=N&ved=2ahUKEwiEuvCK6rTsAhU6AmMBHdMsCFA4ChDw0wN6BAgFEEE&biw=1408&bih=637

You will find tens of references about "toeing" speakers - concerning all kind of speakers - and also some posts on toe-tapping! :)

And yes, I try to tell how I think things are, not how I imagine they should be. But I am happy to learn if I am wrong - I remember I only met F. Toole writings first time in this forum long ago.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As I read the many posts here, and Peter’s experience, and the description of energy in the room only now did I think of what Bonnie mentioned repeatedly as one of her primary goals in the acoustic remodel of my room... she wants to create a space that “feels” good. Nearly everyone who has visited my room has commented almost immediately how different the room feels than the upstairs kitchen area where we gather first for a bit of socializing and a glass of wine. The room is quiet and has a very peaceful, soothing feel to it. It feels warm and inviting. Speech is clear and intelligible. When Bonnie stopped by to evaluate at one point, between tracks, we were chatting and both stopped for a moment to comment on the feel of the room. (...)

Having read the descriptions of the great work Bonnie did in your and Steve room's I doubt that it can be "natural". If you can feel the room as something special it should not be "natural"! ;) But I hope others will chime on this subject. ASC (tube traps) are known to treat their rooms for being clear and intelligible - they even developed the MATT (Music Articulation Test Tone) to assist in the installation of their products.

The concept of energy in the room has been used adequately since long. Look for this Keith Yates excellent article that I have pointed many times in WBF and search for "energ" in the text - it uses the word energy or derivatives with many clear senses many times. http://keithyates.com/a-matter-of-diffusion/

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I think the summary here for speaker toe-in is... IT DEPENDS...

To all of you who keep arguing about this, stop being so silly! Some speakers sound noticeably better with it (like my horns) and some sound better with none (Like my Reference 3A Master Control MMCs) and some with a tiny bit (like my big panels). It also depends on how much focus one wants (although I think there should be a correct amount and personal taste SHOULD have a limited say here but clearly it does not).

Speakers with ragged off-axis response or deliberately restricted dispersion (like horns) will probably sound best toed-in and speakers with wide, even dispersion should be fine with little to no toe-in.

Although I fully agree with your first two paragraphs I think that the degree of toe-in also depends a lot on axial frequency response and room acoustics.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
As I read the many posts here, and Peter’s experience, and the description of energy in the room only now did I think of what Bonnie mentioned repeatedly as one of her primary goals in the acoustic remodel of my room... she wants to create a space that “feels” good. Nearly everyone who has visited my room has commented almost immediately how different the room feels than the upstairs kitchen area where we gather first for a bit of socializing and a glass of wine. The room is quiet and has a very peaceful, soothing feel to it. It feels warm and inviting. Speech is clear and intelligible. When Bonnie stopped by to evaluate at one point, between tracks, we were chatting and both stopped for a moment to comment on the feel of the room.

Without Peter or David visiting, I have no way to know if this relates to managing the energy in the room. All my walls are treated, but without the usual tampons stuck to the walls. (It was a design choice that acoustic materials not be visible. The construction and build is described in my room thread.) No doubt, however, I am fond of the hi-fi sound and my Wilsons, as setup, manifest the designers preferences. Perhaps I will grow weary of the sound and yearn for something new and different, but I am a bit lazy compared to many and not prone to monkeying about preferring to listen to music. It comes from fear of f’ing up what sounds really good (to me).

I do wonder about this “natural sound” idea. As my room is open to the house (if I draw back the curtains) what is playing downstairs can be heard upstairs. I have had visitors (who know nothing of my system) ask if someone is playing a piano downstairs (be they naive or flattering). And the sound upstairs can be very, very good but obviously has no hi-fi attributes of imaging, depth, or soundstage. Is this the “natural sound”? Downstairs I have all this plus the hi-fi attributes as well as the visceral experience of energy of the timpani or kick drum. I like that—something Wilson’s do well.

Hi Bob,

"Natural" is a commonly used descriptor in all contexts because there's no apparent difficulty for people to comprehend it's meaning, it's no different in audio and how Peter or I and some others use it. It's an everyday word. We all live in a world with spaces and rooms, you know what most feel and sound like, if nothing else you know the sound of your own voice and those close to you in these rooms and open spaces, do you sound the same and normal in your listening room or does your voice change? Is there a hollowness that's abnormal? Depending on how your voice changes you can decide if your room is "natural" or not. Stand close to a boundary and say a few words and compare what you hear in the listening room vs the rest of the house which is your "natural" space. You'll have your answer.

david

Reactions: tima and PeterA

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Having read the descriptions of the great work Bonnie did in your and Steve room's I doubt that it can be "natural". If you can feel the room as something special it should not be "natural"! ;) But I hope others will chime on this subject. ASC (tube traps) are known to treat their rooms for being clear and intelligible - they even developed the MATT (Music Articulation Test Tone) to assist in the installation of their products.

According to the article,Yates disagrees with your comment and repeating my mantra, it is always an emotional experience!

"Listening naturally (emotionally), though, the RPGs seemed to represent a giant step toward the real, live experience of participating in the original music-making event."

But you're correct in your assumption of Bonnie's work, isolating and sealing a room from the rest of house in this way will end up being too dead, at least IMO.

The concept of energy in the room has been used adequately since long. Look for this Keith Yates excellent article that I have pointed many times in WBF and search for "energ" in the text - it uses the word energy or derivatives with many clear senses many times. http://keithyates.com/a-matter-of-diffusion/

The article mostly circles the bowl promoting RPG diffusors but I appreciate the fact that he approaches the subject through listening and mentions things like ambience and natural sound instead of posting a bunch of measurements. We seem to agree on absorbent wall tampons as well. Otherwise there's nothing in real world advice beyond buy RPGs. The company makes some great products and has a largish toolbox and if you're willing to spend the money for RPG and services of an experienced team you'll end up with a "Designed" space but that has nothing to do with system set up and dealing with the energy inside the shell with or without RPGs. The space and the energy still need to be managed with the listener, speakers and character of the room in mind and that's what @PeterA documented here, as step by step guide. Simple example is what we did in Steve's "designed" room, moved the listening chair to avoid the "design" capturing the energy that room robbed him of before. This is a prime example of what I mean by energy management.

david

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing