Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
If fiberoptics is the way to go, why not have a fiber optic input at the server? This way you could run it continually without any switches beginning to end.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
my Extreme has landed.

MSB Select II + Extreme = :):):):):):):)

wow!

Great to know! How are you connecting the Extreme to the Select II - USB, renderer, custom MSB optical?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We need more than this. How close is it to your LP?
I wondered who was gonna be the first person to ask Mike that LOL.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
We need more than this. How close is it to your LP?

No disrespect but I don’t think this type of questioning makes sense tbh. We need to move beyond this and accept they are different modalities and accept each for what they are and their respective virtues. Ymmv imho etc.

I think it is more insightful to know how much better this has made Mike’s digital in absolute terms and how it compares to other digital transports.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Been very busy at work lately, had house guests for a week, and not been feeling my best.

Last night unpacked the Extreme and swapped it for the SGM2015. I was not able myself to fully connect it to my NAS. But was able to get Tidal to work. Could not sleep, so at 1:30am got up and got Emile onto my Network and he worked his magic while I went back to bed.

So this morning had a half hour to sample some reference tracks and was blown away by the realism and vivid focus I was hearing. This was a jump in performance.

I must mention the physical beauty and build quality of the Extreme is exceptional.

—Lp’s? 10 days ago my new Durand Tosca tone arm was installed. You can tell how busy I have been with the fact I’ve not yet posted about it. When that is combined with the Tana active units and my NVS it puts vinyl performance at a level I’ve never heard before. I’ve not listened enough to the MSB-Extreme to fully get my brain around it. But i think my system vinyl performance is ‘beyond’ that a ways.

How about ‘good vinyl’? This might be as good or better.

Digital takes a leap, but.......so does vinyl.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Congratulation Mike on getting SGM Extreme.

I had also been impressed with SGM Extreme in Korea.

After it settle down, it will be nice if I can get a chance to listen to your SGM Extreme and MSB Select II combination.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Digital takes a leap, but.......so does vinyl.

Mike,

Although I consider that analog and digital formats are not comparable, I can't avoid noticing that every time your digital improves we are told that the vinyl also improved meanwhile, keeping the distance between formats.

This permanent chase and escape asks for a funny direct question - how does your current digital compare with your analog of five years ago? :)

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, the guys here won't even compare a SAT tt to an AF0 literally weeks apart, if Mike is similarly minded, I think he may be similarly bashful on an analog v digital compare years apart.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Mike

Don't forget to install the latest MSB firmware in case u haven't
Also I ordered my Extreme with 32TB of internal storage. I'm told its a big step up over NAS storage. Surprised u didn't do this....

Reactions: CKKeung

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No disrespect but I don’t think this type of questioning makes sense tbh. We need to move beyond this and accept they are different modalities and accept each for what they are and their respective virtues. Ymmv imho etc. (...) .

Although I would feel tempted to agree with you, Mike comments have created and supported this type of question about relative performance of both formats in his system in threads about the Taiko audio servers since long. So it is now absolutely natural that some of us ask theses questions.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Although I would feel tempted to agree with you, Mike comments have created and supported this type of question about relative performance of both formats in his system in threads about the Taiko audio servers since long. So it is now absolutely natural that some of us ask theses questions.

Oh I see, Francisco. Shame really cos it is apples vs oranges imho and really should be treated that way.

Reactions: Rhapsody

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Hi Mike,

Can I confirm that for local file playback, do you connect Extreme to NAS or you copy your files to local storage in Extreme? I thought the best playback is to have files in Extreme.

Reactions: CKKeung

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Oh I see, Francisco. Shame really cos it is apples vs oranges imho and really should be treated that way.

We can debate why some prefer oranges and others prefer apples, what is the problem of it? Imagine you are facing the best orange and the best apple you have ever smelled and you can just pick one for desert. Which would you take and why? Yes, I should have started a separate thread on this one! ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Apple crumble w vanilla ice cream, thanks. I'll be right over.

Reactions: Jiffi32

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Been very busy at work lately, had house guests for a week, and not been feeling my best.

Last night unpacked the Extreme and swapped it for the SGM2015. I was not able myself to fully connect it to my NAS. But was able to get Tidal to work. Could not sleep, so at 1:30am got up and got Emile onto my Network and he worked his magic while I went back to bed.

So this morning had a half hour to sample some reference tracks and was blown away by the realism and vivid focus I was hearing. This was a jump in performance.

I must mention the physical beauty and build quality of the Extreme is exceptional.

—Lp’s? 10 days ago my new Durand Tosca tone arm was installed. You can tell how busy I have been with the fact I’ve not yet posted about it. When that is combined with the Tana active units and my NVS it puts vinyl performance at a level I’ve never heard before. I’ve not listened enough to the MSB-Extreme to fully get my brain around it. But i think my system vinyl performance is ‘beyond’ that a ways.

How about ‘good vinyl’? This might be as good or better.

Digital takes a leap, but.......so does vinyl.

Mike~!

Thanks for comparison Extreme to your great vinyl.

I think your turntable is much better than SGM Extreme.

But SGM Extreme will be more wonderful.

You will agree my thought.

Reactions: thomask

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing