Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
So Emile, is the latest version of the Taiko USB driver the same for all DACs (where the only difference involves perhaps toggling a parameter for different DACs)? Or is each Taiko USB driver fundamentally different for each DAC?

It is the same driver in all its basics, however there are differences between how the DAC USB controllers handle bit depths and sample rates, so the driver can act differently depending on what the USB controller supports.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I was warned it was not a major step, but some improvements. i got more musically significant textures everywhere (everywhere!!!!), which are objectively quite subtle, but on my 25-30 reference tracks i've so far sampled i'd liken it to a model upgrade + a new cable.

I will bump its classification to "nice" :)

Reactions: oldmustang

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
All the USB driver installs we did since last week Thursday (02-11) are this new driver. If you would like to have it installed as well please use the same appointment scheduler system you used for the BETA install. Do try to pick me as much as possible, at this stage I would prefer to have Wilson and Edward working on the next Beta release as much as possible. Wout is currently unavailable scripting some generic sound quality enhancing features on the operating system side of things.

Reactions: CKKeung and cmarin

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
Hi Emile.

Not sure how many Extreme owners might use convolution but is this a possibility with TAS in the future?
I would much prefer not to have to use HQP if possible.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hi Emile.

Not sure how many Extreme owners might use convolution but is this a possibility with TAS in the future?
I would much prefer not to have to use HQP if possible.

Not many, but we have a few using Acourate. Acourate convolver has an ASIO input which works with TAS.
AcourateConvolver - AudioVero

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Android App looks and works great

Here is a screenshot of the Taiko App running on a Samsung A40 smartphone which cost me 1 Euro

View attachment 75138
HI Ed, What is the app called in the Android/Samsung App Store? I searched for Taiko Audio App, TAS etc, it does not come up.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Is there any news about upcoming switch?
Hopefully the development resources continue with TAS/usb card as it has already been shown and demonstrated by many that the influence of networks are much less than prior to TAS/usb driver.

I personally removed a Waversa W router and two JCAT switches /JCAT LPSs from my network as well as a dedicated fiber Fios line feeding the Extreme.

The sound that I have now with TAS/Taiko usb driver using a port from a shared Fios line with tv/internet/phone is not just better but a totally different listening experience than with the previous dedicated FIOS line and "heavy network".

Although someone else said they preferred a JCAT switch than without it. I believe that ever ISP/network is going to be a bit different.

I moved my JCAT switches/JCAT Optimo Duo LPSs over to feed the Aurender N10, from the same router that is feeding the Extreme and it make a significant positive difference.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
HI Ed, What is the app called in the Android/Samsung App Store? I searched for Taiko Audio App, TAS etc, it does not come up.
It's not in the play store yet. I will email you a dropbox download link which you can use to download the .apk file

The .apk installs in a snap on Android 10

Anyone else who wants to try the Android app, email me at eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
It is the same driver in all its basics, however there are differences between how the DAC USB controllers handle bit depths and sample rates, so the driver can act differently depending on what the USB controller supports.
Thank you Emile.

So the latest update to the basic/generic Taiko test driver component became available on February 11. And you’ve been rolling out the DAC specific updates as they become available.

1. When do you anticipate the generic part of the driver will graduate beyond the “Test” designation?

2. Do you anticipate further developments to the current versions of the DAC specific parts of the Taiko driver?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I learned something new today to solve a problem that I had once before. A few months ago my network went down and needed a restart. Once restarting the network I kept getting a message that SGM Controller not available and then TAS server not running.

I remember Emile working his magic via TV but could not resolve the issue, so we reached out to Wilson who also via TV found that upon restarting my network, it reassigned a different IP address to the Extreme, thus creating the problem. Via TV Wilson quickly reassigned the proper IP address and after doing such the issue completely resolved

Well last night there was an update to my Orbi router which I installed. After the network was restarted I found once again the same messages that TAS Server not running and SGM controller not found.

Initially attempting to restart the Extreme and the closing and reopening the remote failed to resolve the problem. I reached out to Wilson and he offered me the quickest and easiest fix to the problem. Here is what he advised....

Hi Steve, once you have rebooted the extreme. Open the taiko app and got to the first page where is asks you to enter the serial no. . Click on the button to the right of the serial mo. And this should detect the new ip address . You can then click on the extreme server listed below.

I did this and instantly a new IP address came up and once done clicking on the TAS server I was back in business.

Not sure if anyone else has had this experience but if so this takes less than a minute to resolve the issue
HTH

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It's not in the play store yet. I will email you a dropbox download link which you can use to download the .apk file

The .apk installs in a snap on Android 10

Anyone else who wants to try the Android app, email me at eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com
Thx Ed/Guru:) Installed using the APK file on my Android. Works perfectly!

This is very helpful as I watch tv during the day on my 12" iPad so I don't have to turn on the big projection system. I had to switch from the tv to TAS and back to TV prior, now I can just use the Android app and leave the tv/news playing on the iPad.
Screenshot_20210218-101900.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Taiko Audio

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Emile installed the latest USB driver in my system a few days ago and I have been listening to it via roon 1.8. It did take a reboot of my Extreme and few hours for things to settle.
Now everything is more detailed, I say it's a "lighter on its feet" kind of change....
As to TAS, the guys above nailed it....

Thank You Emile

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Is there any news about upcoming switch?

I have a few here but have held off on ordering in large quantity as the landscape has changed with TAS. We're testing the next batch of "network immunization" tweaks soon and I will then decide if it still makes sense to launch it.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Thank you Emile.

So the latest update to the basic/generic Taiko test driver component became available on February 11. And you’ve been rolling out the DAC specific updates as they become available.

1. When do you anticipate the generic part of the driver will graduate beyond the “Test” designation?

2. Do you anticipate further developments to the current versions of the DAC specific parts of the Taiko driver?

1. It is matured now, however we will be adding more DACs in the coming weeks.
2. Never say never.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
a few months back a few Extreme owners were extolling the advantages of headphone listening. i had a slightly alternate viewpoint. i did not push my views, but thought about it, and for that and other reasons.......decided to jump in and see how the current SOTA level of headphones might do with the Extreme. there are a number of top level headphones and amps, and my choices are just one of them......i don't claim they are the best. they are just in the neighborhood, and do integrate into my system particularly well. i don't want to distract this thread with that subject, this is just for those that have an interest.

Link to post about my new headphones

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing