Code:
[_Models.ntamd64]
"XMOS USB Audio" = _Install_0,USB\VID_20B1&PID_3089

[_ServiceInst]
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\xmosusbaudiost3089.sys

HKR, ParametersDriver\License\vidpid\0000, vidpid, %REG_DWORD%, 0x20B13089  ; VID=0x20B1 PID=0x3089

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
USB\VID_20B1&PID_3089 according to the only ASIO driver available here

https://www.mola-mola.nl/assets/mola-mola-digin-driver-windows_v4.11.0.zip
Code:
[_Models.ntamd64]
"XMOS USB Audio" = _Install_0,USB\VID_20B1&PID_3089

[_ServiceInst]
ServiceType = 1
StartType = 3
ErrorControl = 1
ServiceBinary = %12%\xmosusbaudiost3089.sys

HKR, ParametersDriver\License\vidpid\0000, vidpid, %REG_DWORD%, 0x20B13089  ; VID=0x20B1 PID=0x3089

No reason to expect it will not work going from that! We do still need a complete USB descriptor dump though.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Greetings!
Is the Mola-Mola Tambaqui on the soon-to-be-suported radar?
Hi MRIguy,

Just curios, do you own the Tambaqui dac/streamer/Roon end point?

I am wondering if you or someone that has the Tambaqui which is a dac/streamer/REP would be considering by-passing the network/streamer function of the Tambaqui? It seems like the beauty of the Tambaqui is it's all-in-one capability.

Only asking as I don't remember seeing anyone using an all-in-one dac streamer Roon end point device with an outboard server. Just curious of your experience with it all...thx

Last edited:

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Latest TAS driver installed...
I had a previous version of the TAS driver installed on 1/27. Today team Taiko installed (thank you!) the latest version referred to above (2/10 version I believe). I had tempered expectations, but after listening this past hour to songs I am familiar with, streaming thru Qobuz, wow. I don't want to sugar coat or go overboard, but it does seem like a cable or system upgrade (no break-in necessary).

There is an added buoyancy in the soundstage from individual instruments, a liquid clarity that is at once smooth and transparent/detailed, and further solidity to notes. On acoustical guitar, I am getting additional sound from the navel of the guitar (my apologies if I am butchering that description, I am not a musician!) but more from its belly if you will. I believe others mentioned a relaxed clarity, more sparkle on the sparkle, quicker transients, lighter on the feet...those are great descriptions. I am compelled to not cut short a song as I can do. It's really beautiful and another testament to the team.

@Rhapsody - on your question above, before the Pacific, I had been running the Simaudio 780D (all in one DAC streamer) w a Melco server. The DAC/streamer is fantastic but when I acquired the Extreme I bypassed its streamer and went directly into the 780D USB port. Not sure if analogous situation to the Tambaqui.

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Only asking as I don't remember seeing anyone using an all-in-one dac streamer Roon end point device with an outboard server.

Bob,
I think it is simply a trend that manufacturers offer both USB and Ethernet inputs with their DACs like MM Tambaqui, Vitus Audio, Lampizator Pacific, Bricasti etc.

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Matt, I understand that. I have sold several of this type of dacs, but I have not seen someone that has a $10Kish dac that has ethernet input buy a $30K server to match with it. I was curious if that was the intent ie, did he like this dac so much that he wanted it vs. a stand alone dac with no ethernet/streamer/Roon Endpoint circuitry in the box.

I understand when someone already has a dac with ethernet input and then adds the server it's easy to by-pass the ethernet circuitry. MRI guy said I think that he was running a NUC right now, so I was wondering if he was considering the Tambaqui for future purchase with an Extreme even though it already had the the Ethernet input. Just curious. Nothing more than that.
Bob,
I think it is simply a trend that manufacturers offer both USB and Ethernet inputs with their DACs like MM Tambaqui, Vitus Audio, Lampizator Pacific, Bricasti etc.

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Latest TAS driver installed...
I had a previous version of the TAS driver installed on 1/27. Today team Taiko installed (thank you!) the latest version referred to above (2/10 version I believe). I had tempered expectations, but after listening this past hour to songs I am familiar with, streaming thru Qobuz, wow. I don't want to sugar coat or go overboard, but it does seem like a cable or system upgrade (no break-in necessary).

There is an added buoyancy in the soundstage from individual instruments, a liquid clarity that is at once smooth and transparent/detailed, and further solidity to notes. On acoustical guitar, I am getting additional sound from the navel of the guitar (my apologies if I am butchering that description, I am not a musician!) but more from its belly if you will. I believe others mentioned a relaxed clarity, more sparkle on the sparkle, quicker transients, lighter on the feet...those are great descriptions. I am compelled to not cut short a song as I can do. It's really beautiful and another testament to the team.

@Rhapsody - on your question above, before the Pacific, I had been running the Simaudio 780D (all in one DAC streamer) w a Melco server. The DAC/streamer is fantastic but when I acquired the Extreme I bypassed its streamer and went directly into the 780D USB port. Not sure if analogous situation to the Tambaqui.
Thx on the Simaudio. I was curious if people were doing that, nothing more than that.....thx

Reactions: ctydwn

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Hi Matt, I understand that. I have sold several of this type of dacs, but I have not seen someone that has a $10Kish dac that has ethernet input buy a $30K server to match with it. I was curious if that was the intent ie, did he like this dac so much that he wanted it vs. a stand alone dac with no ethernet/streamer/Roon Endpoint circuitry in the box.

I understand when someone already has a dac with ethernet input and then adds the server it's easy to by-pass the ethernet circuitry. MRI guy said I think that he was running a NUC right now, so I was wondering if he was considering the Tambaqui for future purchase with an Extreme even though it already had the the Ethernet input. Just curious. Nothing more than that.

Hi Bob,
I fully get your point.
AFAIK, in the case of the Tambaqui and the Vitus DACs the ethernet input comes as standard.
So if someone likes the sound signature of these DACs and wants the best SQ there is no way than to add an Extreme and drive them via USB.
IIRC, from the data points of this thread every DAC connected to an Extreme via USB sounded superior to connected via Ethernet.

Matt

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hi Bob,
I fully get your point.
AFAIK, in the case of the Tambaqui and the Vitus DACs the ethernet input comes as standard.
So if someone likes the sound signature of these DACs and wants the best SQ there is no way than to add an Extreme and drive them via USB.
IIRC, from the data points of this thread every DAC connected to an Extreme via USB sounded superior to connected via Ethernet.

Matt
Thx Matt. I was actually trying to get this type of feedback for someone that is in this situation and is looking at an Extreme:) Appreciate it...thx

Reactions: matthias

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Thx Matt. I was actually trying to get this type of feedback for someone that is in this situation and is looking at an Extreme:) Appreciate it...thx

My pleasure Bob,
I always disliked this "endpoint" concept and an Ethernet DAC is nothing more than an endpoint plus DAC in one case.
With the existence of the Extreme this concept does not make any sense at all.

Matt

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
The original thought was the having a “good” endpoint makes all the noise upstream irrelevant. We now know that is untrue so having 1 box do it all seems simpler and easier to execute than having 2.

Reactions: matthias

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
My pleasure Bob,
I always disliked this "endpoint" concept and an Ethernet DAC is nothing more than an endpoint plus DAC in one case.

Matt
I'm missing something in this conversation. Why does inclusion of an ethernet input to a DAC imply some kind of less desirable "endpoint" concept and what are the detrimental consequences postulated for ethernet connectivity?

Both my dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Vivaldi DAC have a variety of inputs and outputs, including ethernet, USB and AES/EBU and the Vivaldi series was introduced in 2012, well before Roon. Is the term "endpoint" being used in the sense that Roon uses it, e.g. a Roon endpoint, or in the more general sense of the last component in the digital chain?

FWIW, I tried connecting my Extreme to both the Upsampler and directly to the DAC by ethernet and USB. I prefer USB but the difference was so close that I could have been down to the relative superiority of one cable over the other. At present I have no ethernet cable approaching the sound quality of the Shunyata Research Omega USB I'm using, or I'd revisit this.

Thanks,

Steve Z

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm missing something in this conversation. Why does inclusion of an ethernet input to a DAC imply some kind of less desirable "endpoint" concept and what are the detrimental consequences postulated for ethernet connectivity?

Both my dCS Vivaldi Upsampler and Vivaldi DAC have a variety of inputs and outputs, including ethernet, USB and AES/EBU and the Vivaldi series was introduced in 2012, well before Roon. Is the term "endpoint" being used in the sense that Roon uses it, e.g. a Roon endpoint, or in the more general sense of the last component in the digital chain?

FWIW, I tried connecting my Extreme to both the Upsampler and directly to the DAC by ethernet and USB. I prefer USB but the difference was so close that I could have been down to the relative superiority of one cable over the other. At present I have no ethernet cable approaching the sound quality of the Shunyata Research Omega USB I'm using, or I'd revisit this.

Thanks,

Steve Z
I opted to omit the Ethernet port in my Pacific because everything I read stated it was a source of extraneous noise on the network.

oldmustang

Dec 1, 2012
I opted to omit the Ethernet port in my Pacific because everything I read stated it was a source of extraneous noise on the network.
Thanks, Steve.

Couldn't you have just opted to not plug anything into it? Seems like it would be good to have the capability if desired later on, or as an included option to appeal to more potential buyers if you later decide to sell it.

Please don't take this as me being argumentative -- I am trying to understand what the perceived and real issues are with ethernet.

I understand that the initial promise of ethernet making upstream noise irrelevant turned out not to be remotely true, but the same could be said of USB, even so-called "galvanically" isolated USB, judging from the number of USB add-on devices that have proliferated in the market, all claiming to address USB issues (real or assumed).

Steve Z

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany

Hi Steve,

a good summary about "endpoint" gave @romaz in his Extreme review here:

dCS use the Stream Unlimited board in various variants, other manufacturers like CH Precision and Dartzeel use the Engineered board with the Ethernet input. In every case you have an ethernet connection and some sort of mini computer between your Extreme and the DAC like @romaz with the opticalrendu in his review.

So it seems to make a difference if you connect your DAC directly the the Extreme via USB or directly to a streaming board from a certain manufacturer and then via a network connection to the Extreme.

Matt

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I don’t see why noise would be created by the Pacific with an Ethernet port if it wasn’t connected to the network. I have one and have never heard any noise.

My understanding is that a data stream received via eithernet needs to be further processed in order for the DAC to receive it. Thus, a DAC with an ethernet port is effectively an endpoint (processor) as opposed to a USB port which can directly feed the DAC.

Someone can feel free to correct me if this isn’t correct.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
My pleasure Bob,

Matt

As all things in audio go, this comment may be the case with the Extreme but it is a broad generalization if applied universally (not saying you where, just making a point.) Execution of the ethernet renderer in the dac has a profound impact on this analysis.

Local DAC master clock synchronization and elimination of all the detrimentals of usb "packets" are natural advantages to the renderer living in the DAC. In many ways moving back to USB is re-employing flawed technology designed for data transmission rather than music. Making any comment about a server's ability through usb or ethernet without accounting for the dac's design capabilities with the USB and particularly the ethernet renderer inputs is kinda folly.

Reactions: adyc

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
I don’t see why noise would be created by the Pacific with an Ethernet port if it wasn’t connected to the network. I have one and have never heard any noise.

My understanding is that a data stream received via eithernet needs to be further processed in order for the DAC to receive it. Thus, a DAC with an ethernet port is effectively an endpoint (processor) as opposed to a USB port which can directly feed the DAC.

Someone can feel free to correct me if this isn’t correct.
The Ethernet module in the Pacific is essentially a modified raspberry pie running some custom OS. I’ve swapped out the SD card myself and all functions, including the WiFi, are there. Having active wifi inside your Pac chassis running constantly may not be the best for noise. Having said that, I have not gone to the lengths of connecting and shutting it down each time the Pac is powered up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing