Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Will it be easy to change between these “discovery” and “concert” modes? Does being in concert mode mean editing the order of the playlist (queue) is not possible?

Will it be easy to change between these “discovery” and “concert” modes? Does being in concert mode mean editing the order of the playlist (queue) is not possible?
Concert Mode means that you cannot change the order of the playback queue. You can, however, append tracks. Changing between the two modes will be as simple as flicking a switch in the XDMS app.

XDMS has two playback modes

Concert Mode which is truly Gapless, but you are restricted to playing the queue ( with a very large track limit) and not jumping around

Discovery Mode, where you can jump around as much as you like, but there are gaps
Well not good news for me. After undergoing the operation of TAS! I was expecting a player with high sound quality and only one mode, not Serial Play , or Batch Play or Concert Play or Discovery Play.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
There will be no need to choose modes unless you want Gapless playback. If that is not vital to you, simply set it to Discovery Mode and leave it as such. But as Edward mentioned, a combined function is being worked on for release at a later time. For launch, we will have these two modes. Please bear with us, XDMS will start out great and it will only get better!

Oh! that will be fine if both modes have the same sound quality, but I'm afraid it happens like with TAS that there is a noticeable difference between Serial and Batch. Gapless playback is naturally vital to me in a Player at this price point. What they are subliminally saying with two playback modes is that we choose between a player with the functions of any of those on the market or one with better sound, but it is not without pauses. After everything we've been told about XDMS, this wasn't what I expected.

Oh! that will be fine if both modes have the same sound quality, but I'm afraid it happens like with TAS that there is a noticeable difference between Serial and Batch. Gapless playback is naturally vital to me in a Player at this price point. What they are subliminally saying with two playback modes is that we choose between a player with the functions of any of those on the market or one with better sound, but it is not without pauses. After everything we've been told about XDMS, this wasn't what I expected.
I understand your concern, but as Edward indicates, there shouldn't be a SQ difference between the two modes. Please note that there are no functionality limitations when using Concert Mode other than playback queue editing.

Reactions: ctydwn
As Christian explained.......

But as Edward mentioned, a combined function is being worked on for release at a later time. For launch, we will have these two modes. Please bear with us, XDMS will start out great and it will only get better!
Patience is a virtue. It will happen

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
I am exceedingly understanding what it takes to write a player, we did it back when I was with PortalPlayer (the startup I worked at in the early ’aughts). With a very skilled team its a huge effort, with a few less skilled folks it gets much worse. Then if you add some really diabolical test engineers hell-bent on breaking things (yours truly) the process takes even longer, but hopefully more bug free, stable, and reliable.

And as good as v1 may be, only after its been rolled out and bashed on by the installed base, and refined from there, will it evolve into a mature player. Recognizing this evolutionary nature of development, I hope folks are patient and understanding.

That said, seeing how team Taiko approaches things, I expect there will be a lot of sore jaws when XDMS is released. And a few dents in the floor!

Question to team Taiko… will you be localizing the app in the future?

I am exceedingly understanding what it takes to write a player, we did it back when I was with PortalPlayer (the startup I worked at in the early ’aughts). With a very skilled team its a huge effort, with a few less skilled folks it gets much worse. Then if you add some really diabolical test engineers hell-bent on breaking things (yours truly) the process takes even longer, but hopefully more bug free, stable, and reliable.

And as good as v1 may be, only after its been rolled out and bashed on by the installed base, and refined from there, will it evolve into a mature player. Recognizing this evolutionary nature of development, I hope folks are patient and understanding.

That said, seeing how team Taiko approaches things, I expect there will be a lot of sore jaws when XDMS is released. And a few dents in the floor!

AFAIK XDMS will be released as version 2 as Wilson has rewritten the entire program

Localizing: I'm not sure, but I suspect so. Maybe Edward can confirm.

The "player" at this price point is free. The Extreme platform when introduced would play Roon but the customer had to purchase their own license, either independently or at the time of Extreme purchase.

I'm not sure what you believe you were told about XDMS, but as promised and reiterated just a few messages above, XDMS will be introduced with two modes of play and additional enhancements will be introduced (not to mention bug fixes, etc) as they are ready.

Would you rather wait several more months past the May time frame?

Steve Z

Well, maybe I misunderstood the information that was passed on to us at WBT. I understood that we had to be patient with TAS since XDMS was not only going to have a better sound (and TAS is already very good), but it was going to end TAS's problems as a player. What I wanted to understand today is that if I want the best sound quality I will have to continue to endure the stops between movements of, for example, a concert, which is a PITA, but if the movement is also “attacca” it is a double PITA . But perhaps I have not understood it well and this is not so, I hope so.

Well, maybe I misunderstood the information that was passed on to us at WBT. I understood that we had to be patient with TAS since XDMS was not only going to have a better sound (and TAS is already very good), but it was going to end TAS's problems as a player. What I wanted to understand today is that if I want the best sound quality I will have to continue to endure the stops between movements of, for example, a concert, which is a PITA, but if the movement is also “attacca” it is a double PITA . But perhaps I have not understood it well and this is not so, I hope so.
Post 10,106:

Christaan offered that there are two modes with a sound quality difference between the two. Ed quickly set the record straight on that. Ed is the Project Manager for the XDMS player.
Steve Z

Reactions: Armsan and ctydwn

The XDMS 2.0 mobile App is built with Localization fuctionality in all of the screens. We won't enable it in the first release but we will add languages when we have made good progress on our functionality wish list

Post 10,106:

Christaan offered that there are two modes with a sound quality difference between the two. Ed quickly set the record straight on that. Ed is the Project Manager for the XDMS player.
Steve Z
Well, it has also been stated that there really shouldn't be a big difference between Serial Play and Batch Play in the current TAS and there is a difference in sound.

Well, it has also been stated that there really shouldn't be a big difference between Serial Play and Batch Play in the current TAS and there is a difference in sound.

I haven’t found any difference between the 2.

As I am one of those who do not hear a sound quality difference between Direct and Batch Play, and you do I guess we'll just have to wait until XDMS is actually released and hear for ourselves. I prefer not to speculate and in the past Ed has always given out accurate information. But the proof will be in the listening.

Steve Z

We do have another Extreme Owner / TAS user who detects a SQ difference between Serial Play and Batch Play, and prefers Batch. We have some theories about what might cause this, but as TAS is "end of life" we have not delved into this.

The Audio Player architecture of XDMS 2.0 is completely different from the Players which were coded for TAS. I would expect the SQ Delta between Concert and Discovery mode to be smaller and harder to detect, time will tell.

Rest assured we do have a exploration map to find and implement further improvements to Sound Quality of XDMS.

There will be no resting on Laurels

Last edited:
We do have another Extreme Owner / TAS user who detects a SQ difference between Serial Play and Gapless, and prefers Gapless. We have some theories about what might cause this, but as TAS is "end of life" we have not delved into this.

The Audio Player architecture of XDMS 2.0 is completely different from the Players which were coded for TAS. I would expect the SQ Delta between Concert and Discovery mode to be smaller and harder to detect, time will tell.

Rest assured we do have a exploration map to find and implement further improvements to Sound Quality of XDMS.

There will be no resting on Laurels

I think you mean Serial Play and Batch since there is no true gapless in TAS.

Reactions: John T and nonesup

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing