Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Totally get where you're coming from. My approach, however, was quite different.

When I first considered buying a Taiko Extreme, the proprietary USB card and TAS (predecessor to XDMS and itself a Taiko software project) were still new, and there was so much interaction here and elsewhere among users and the Taiko team working to try to wring every last bit of performance. As I've discovered for myself, TAS is not perfect and has its glitches -- although from my experience, those glitches don't include Qobuz streaming. For me, sound quality is everything, and I'm willing to tolerate a few glitches and a less pretty interface. To my ears, TAS was clearly better than Roon and my decision to leave Roon behind was easy. Others may not be as forgiving and that's okay. That's what Roon compatibility is for.

Ultimately, what sold me on the Extreme was that it wasn't simply a state-of-the-art product for sale, but an evolving platform. I saw for myself the passion, dedication and nearly exhaustive energy of the Taiko team to test and push almost every conceivable envelope, and I think it's unsurpassed in the industry. For me, that was a critical selling point. Do I expect success at every bend and turn? Of course not. But for my money, there is already an ample track record of Taiko achievements that lends substantial credibility to their continuing and future efforts to boost the Extreme's performance to new heights. I'm buckled in and ready for the ride, wherever it takes me.
What he said.

this journey is still in its infancy but each new iteration reveals new features which are operational. As I stated I love watching the pieces of this puzzle come together. Plus there is Emile’s comment a few months ago that he has a few tricks up his sleeve which will make XDMS even better still.

When you buy an Extreme, you’re not so much buying a product as buying a journey.
Reading this thread recently is like watching soldiers in an army fight among themselves, often forgetting we're all on the same side. In fact you are buying a product (and a damned good one) as well as a journey. I have no desire to torture myself presently with the struggles of XDMS development yet as I am perfectly content with Roon because it's better suited to my listening style, not to mention I think it sounds very good. My view is that if you can't be happy to listening to music using Roon, you're not a music lover as much as you might be a gear head. I have no doubt XDMS SQ is better as confirmed by many and I anticipate that it will not be long until XDMS becomes a staple for me as it has for others. In the meantime, I'll be a patient cheerleader for Taiko while the clock is ticking. If you've had any interaction at all with Emile or his team, you should understand why only a fool would bet against them.

Last edited:
My view is that if you can't be happy to listening to music using Roon, you're not a music lover as much as you are a gear head.
...usually, your posts are cogent and insightful. This is not one I would place in either of those categories, but as you noted: it's your "view." Funny, as I am certainly not a "gear head." I just don't care for Roon. I find it fascinating when folks push back against not liking Roon. Funny that...

...usually, your posts are cogent and insightful. This is not one I would place in either of those categories, but as you noted: it's your "view." Funny, as I am certainly not a "gear head." I just don't care for Roon. I find it fascinating when folks push back against not liking Roon. Funny that...
What specifically don't you like about Roon? "I don't care for Roon" Can you elaborate? Could perhaps Roon be system dependent? Lacking Articulation? Homogenized? My amplification in the Mephisto is as neutral and transparent a amp there is. If the same amplification had a heavier presentation Maybe Roon wouldn't present itself in the same fashion. I'm attempting to understand why Roon is so frowned upon yet so excepted in the same realm. I use Roon and I have had moments where it wasn't quite right, maybe as Emile suggested going between TAS and ROON changes perception. I find this very interesting. Furthermore to tell Marty who has vast Knowledge that this post was not cogent or insightful is Bull Shit...One more thought your posts are typically insightful, humorous, and most enjoyable, this wasn't one of them.

Last edited:
For me there is no right or wrong, if one prefers Roon or XDMS (TAS). E.g. I‘m a millennial as they call it so should be somewhat tech savvy and familiar with the software stuff. In this regard Roon is a great interface. Especially for music discovery… and it sounds great (IMHO) when not compared to other software. Then again, if one just likes to listen to music in the best possible way XDMS (or formerly TAS) might be the way to go. I for myself mainly listen to TAS at the moment and use Roon occasionally for browsing and searching music. As I said I like the sleek interface and also enjoy the sound, but are also happy to get back to TAS with new music to enjoy it even more. I think people can be perfectly happy with Roon. Especially those who value an easy going AND satisfying musical experience. On the other hand I also totally get that people don‘t care about this ease of use and just want the very best sound, so they go for XDMS (or formerly TAS). IMHO if someone just wants to get the best music out of one‘s system both TAS (and also XDMS what I here from other users) can already do that (besides the concert thingy with the gaps). I never owned a vinyl collection, but don‘t vinyl players need care regarding set-up plus cleaning of records; changing sides?! But people do that because they love the way it sounds! So I totally understand this attitude the same way as I understand people who prefer their CDs or listen to music in the radio.

What I wanted to say: In the end it‘s great and a privilege to have BOTH Roon and XDMS/TAS, so everybody can choose to his own liking!
I for myself could have asked Ed to install XDMS some weeks ago, but had some new XLRs in my system so I wanted them to settle first, not mixing their effect with what XDMS might do. Also I love to have a little Christmas every now and then spread of the year. :) So still using TAS for the most past … and occasionally browsing via Roon. So the big question is: In what category does that put me? A some Christmas romantic with a hint of audiophile procrastination?!
Just kidding: Respect each other’s way of listing to their music and enjoy your music the way YOU like it the most. That‘s all that counts at the end of the day.

Fair enough and edited accordingly. For me, it is not the SQ of Roon that is essential. Rather, it's a teaching tool I can't live without. It allows me to learn about the music I'm listening to in a way that isn't possible elsewhere or as easily. On the quality side, its both very good and good enough. If the goal of great SQ is to convey musical enjoyment, I'm good with what Roon provides, for me. In that sense, I don't feel compelled to trade convenience and music education for better software (or gear) that would provide superior SQ to that of Roon/Taiko. At least not yet. For ultimate SQ, I have a very capable analog rig, and vinyl still holds the upper hand in my system. But man, let's face it, pushing a button is a heck of a lot easier. With Roon, I don't mind pushing that button. A lot.

Last edited:
Roon versus XDMS is a bit like one well-respected audio brand versus another. There are what I would call typical differences between them and there will always be those who favor one or the other. As with audio equipment, a software suite can have certain characteristics that better fit one system than the other. As such, it becomes a matter of synergy. Then, of course, there are personal preferences.

Sonically speaking, in my opinion, XDMS finds itself in between Roon and TAS. It takes strong aspects from both while being commendably neutral. For me, XDMS currently sounds better than Roon because it is more articulate, spritely, and expressive, as well as more neutral. But for others, Roon's liquidity, continuity, and relaxed flow might be more appealing. What's important to note is that XDMS is not yet where we want it to be. As hinted at on this forum, Emile does indeed have some very promising tricks up his sleeve which should bring XDMS closer to Roon's arguably more organic presentation, but without making any sacrifices in other fields.

The main driver for developing our own software was, and still is, to be 100% in control of the sound quality. We want the app to be utterly stable in operation, but above all, we want to be able to guarantee an unwaveringly superb level of sound quality. With XDMS, we have set out to create a music browsing and playback system that does not rely on 3rd party software. We are in control of all the programming and we control the updates.

XDMS will not replace Roon, rather, it will be sitting alongside, allowing the user to select between two on the fly.

I've been with Taiko for almost 1 year now and it's been a thrilling ride! Honestly, I thought I was quite knowledgeable going in but during my time with Taiko, I have learned SO MUCH! There's just so much more to streaming audio / music server audio than widely accepted truths. As I have found first-hand, what may seem like unimportant tiny details can actually have a major impact. It's discoveries like this that make me realize that Taiko is fully deserving of the credit that is given. I remain super-excited to be part of this great team!

Roon versus XDMS is a bit like one well-respected audio brand versus another. There are what I would call typical differences between them and there will always be those who favor one or the other. As with audio equipment, a software suite can have certain characteristics that better fit one system than the other. As such, it becomes a matter of synergy. Then, of course, there are personal preferences.

Sonically speaking, in my opinion, XDMS finds itself in between Roon and TAS. It takes strong aspects from both while being commendably neutral. For me, XDMS currently sounds better than Roon because it is more articulate, spritely, and expressive, as well as more neutral. But for others, Roon's liquidity, continuity, and relaxed flow might be more appealing. What's important to note is that XDMS is not yet where we want it to be. As hinted at on this forum, Emile does indeed have some very promising tricks up his sleeve which should bring XDMS closer to Roon's arguably more organic presentation, but without making any sacrifices in other fields.

The main driver for developing our own software was, and still is, to be 100% in control of the sound quality. We want the app to be utterly stable in operation, but above all, we want to be able to guarantee an unwaveringly superb level of sound quality. With XDMS, we have set out to create a music browsing and playback system that does not rely on 3rd party software. We are in control of all the programming and we control the updates.

XDMS will not replace Roon, rather, it will be sitting alongside, allowing the user to select between two on the fly.

I've been with Taiko for almost 1 year now and it's been a thrilling ride! Honestly, I thought I was quite knowledgeable going in but during my time with Taiko, I have learned SO MUCH! There's just so much more to streaming audio / music server audio than widely accepted truths. As I have found first-hand, what may seem like unimportant tiny details can actually have a major impact. It's discoveries like this that make me realize that Taiko is fully deserving of the credit that is given. I remain super-excited to be part of this great team!

Excellent - that is exactly what I was hoping for regards the XDMS/Roon relationship. Thank you.

We would all like XDMS to come to fruition. No doubt it will happen, when I first heard TAS I realized the potential of computer audio and where this brilliant team can and will take us. Lets face it we are all pretty obsessive, and that's a good thing. Some folks are willing and able to withstand some of the glitches. You are all part of the trail blazing and I tip my cap to each and everyone of you. As far as which platform we decide to use, their are a number of denominators to that. I have heard Roon in some systems and thought it sounded homogenized, very little separation of instruments, just not up to snuff. Then in other systems totally opposite. Blanket statements are just that, specifics help when explaining. Again Roon on some systems, is more than adequate. Perhaps that is why 50% of Taiko users use Roon.

It's fascinating to hear descriptions of the Roon sound compared to the TAS and XDMS sound. The difference in my system to Christian's (and others I've talked to) are polar opposites. Here, Roon sounds more incisive, spritely, with more perceived space between instruments. TAS/XDMS has more body, reverberation and perhaps more dimension. No doubt, XDMS will just keep getting better in all fronts.

@Christiaan, is my description of the Roon/xdms sound completely unique to what you have heard from other Taiko users? Maybe user adjustable tunings will be the ultimate tool for tuning systems to player software (as you've already done with the Roon usb settings per dac)?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2ndLiner
It's fascinating to hear descriptions of the Roon sound compared to the TAS and XDMS sound. The difference in my system to Christian's (and others I've taken to) are polar opposites. Here, Roon sounds more incisive, spritely, with more perceived space between instruments. TAS/XDMS has more body, reverberation and perhaps more dimension. No doubt, XDMS will just keep getting better in all fronts.

@Christiaan, is my description of the Roon/xdms sound completely unique to what you have heard from other Taiko users? Maybe user adjustable tunings will be the ultimate tool for tuning systems to player software (as you've already done with the Roon usb settings per dac)?
Hi Wil, this is interesting... In matters audio, things are often relative. But I would certainly not describe Roon on any server or DAC that I heard as being more incisive or spritely than XDMS or TAS. At least, not with 1.8, and even less so with 2.0. Could it be that we use different words to describe similar sonic aspects? Or maybe it is a matter of interpretation. What I mean by incisive and spritely is that the sound is more direct, crisper, and more articulate. Mainly, this relates to how I perceive transient sharpness (sharper with TAS and XDMS, smoother with Roon). Roon could be said to be airier, and when you mention more dimensionality, more reverberation, and more perceived space between instruments with Roon, these are aspects that I can follow. In any case, no matter which you prefer, both are catered to with the Extreme:)

Reactions: 2ndLiner
If, as Christian says, XDMS is able to add a bit more organicity to the current sound, that would be amazing.
When XDMS makes me lose my temper and I end up switching to Roon, I don't really last long with it, the difference in sound is too big and I go back to XDMS. Now, in this thread I have read some time that there are those who think that over time XDMS could be a library manager similar to Roon in its utilities, I sincerely believe that this will never happen and that it would not even be logical for it to achieve it economically. Roon has been around for many years, has required a lot of financial investment, and charges a substantial amount for its software, while XDMS is (at least for now) free.
I'd just settle for it to maintain its high level of sound quality, and end up being a reasonably good library manager. I will have hope that it will be achieved, although I must admit that sometimes (seeing the evolution of alpha) it is hard for me to be optimistic.

and charges a substantial amount for its software
Clearly everyone is different.

Roon's current price is $120.00 annually or $700.00 one time lifetime fee. Now I purchased Roon when the lifetime was $400.00 as I thought it was a small price to pay for music management software. For me music management is one of the most important parts of my setup.

This thread is talking about a music server that cost upwards of 30K USD. I'm also sure those who spend this kind of money just for the server has a lot more in other parts of their system.

When you look at the big picture, is the SW really that expensive? Now whether you like Roon or not is a different discussion.

Last edited:
I will have hope that it will be achieved, although I must admit that sometimes (seeing the evolution of alpha) it is hard for me to be optimistic.
For me, I feel just the opposite. I can remember vividly about 3-4 years ago when Roon went south after another update, it was Emile who asked the question if any other of us listeners felt the same.A huge discussion ensued that went on for quite a while as to al of the theories . I remember Romaz explanation made the most sense as to Roon being top heavy with code from every new iteration. Then Emile announced he had a plan and that his goal was to control the signal path from the time it leaves the Router to the Extreme and to the time the signal path exits the Extreme. He had a plan and very shortly TAS was born and I was smitten. I have gone back to Roon. perhaps 3 short times in that interval as to me the SQ has always been better than Roon. And now we have XDMS in its alpha 2 version and the excitement I get listening to my music is simply mesmerizing. Plus the alpha 2 participants are heavy involved in discussing the way the platform should evolve.This is exciting to watch the evolution BUT in all honesty has Emile ever reneged on any of his promises as the platform evolves. The USB board was a game changer as was the new OS along with many changes along the way. Sometimes they found that the path they were on wasn't correct and quickly recognized the fact and threw out 6 weeks of coding to start over. This, along with Covid and the supply chain issues has slowed every manufacturer's desire to bring new product to market Taiko has been no exception. Yet, not once IMHO has Emile and the Taiko team failed to deliver on a promise. I have complete confidence that when Emile makes a promise, he always follows through. XDMS is a work in progress but will ultimately be released. I also believe that there will always be changes made to the platform as it evolves and more users are involved But I also believe that unlike Roon which has it's issues, Emile has found the way to update which has no negative impact on SQ. As a result it is very easy for me to be eternally optimistic as to the outcome. This plus several hardware updates soon to be available will only serve to reinforce my belief

When you look at the big picture, is the SW really that expensive? Now whether you like Roon or not is a different discussion.
FWIW I have no idea what Taiko has spent to date on software development but I would be willing to bet the amount is huge. And let me recap by saying that this software project will be made available to all Extreme users at NO COST. Certainly that is better than paying every year for Roon. There will be upcoming hardware additions which Emile seems very proud of and will also be in the signal path. Bottom line for me is that I have never seen a company with customer service that involves customer participation as does Taiko. I have never owned a switch in my system as I never felt the need to use such. Yet when Emile promises that the switch and new Ethernet card will add even more to the SQ, one surely must take note. Whether XDMS will always remain free can only be a Taiko decision but for now the huge sums of money Emile has paid for this project speaks volumes as to his commitment to this project.

Can you tell Im a believer and am all in. I love this commitment and dedication and with every new iteration things continue to get better

So yes software development is hugely expensive and I know that the coding team has enlarged considerably. All for free to us. That becomes difficult to refute IMHO

If, as Christian says, XDMS is able to add a bit more organicity to the current sound, that would be amazing.
When XDMS makes me lose my temper and I end up switching to Roon, I don't really last long with it, the difference in sound is too big and I go back to XDMS. Now, in this thread I have read some time that there are those who think that over time XDMS could be a library manager similar to Roon in its utilities, I sincerely believe that this will never happen and that it would not even be logical for it to achieve it economically. Roon has been around for many years, has required a lot of financial investment, and charges a substantial amount for its software, while XDMS is (at least for now) free.
I'd just settle for it to maintain its high level of sound quality, and end up being a reasonably good library manager. I will have hope that it will be achieved, although I must admit that sometimes (seeing the evolution of alpha) it is hard for me to be optimistic.
While I have made note of the requests for enhanced library possibilities/utilities, this is not on the roadmap. We may look into this further down the road and you can be sure that we will keep adding refinements until we are 100% happy, but for now, the focus is on releasing XDMS with its current set of functionalities.

FWIW I have no idea what Taiko has spent to date on software development but I would be willing to bet the amount is huge. And let me recap by saying that this software project will be made available to all Extreme users at NO COST. Certainly that is better than paying every year for Roon. There will be upcoming hardware additions which Emile seems very proud of and will also be in the signal path. Bottom line for me is that I have never seen a company with customer service that involves customer participation as does Taiko. I have never owned a switch in my system as I never felt the need to use such. Yet when Emile promises that the switch and new Ethernet card will add even more to the SQ, one surely must take note. Whether XDMS will always remain free can only be a Taiko decision but for now the huge sums of money Emile has paid for this project speaks volumes as to his commitment to this project.

Can you tell Im a believer and am all in. I love this commitment and dedication and with every new iteration things continue to get better

So yes software development is hugely expensive and I know that the coding team has enlarged considerably. All for free to us. That becomes difficult to refute IMHO
The cost of XDMS is paid when you purchase the Extreme. Nothing is free, as Taiko and others have to make money to stay in business.

Reactions: Christiaan Punter
Can’t disagree with that. But what about all of the existing Extreme users who bought and paid for their units. It’s free. And yes the Extreme will increase in price as does everything. Nothing new here. And the new BPS coming when supply allows production will also cost more. I’m sure the cost of software development is factored in. However everyone here is an existing owner who has received TAS and now XDMS FREE!!

Christian, I'm not asking XDMS to do extraordinary things, I just want to make sure that the ordinary ones will be done correctly. When I see that you can't search by composer, when I see that the latest front end 0.9 takes much longer to load the library than 0.7, when I see those "awful" wrappers instead of the full library, when I see that the meta data is only on the server with the refresh time that is lost…… I tend to be pessimistic, but we will make an effort and have faith

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu