Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

Thanks! And now....take a break Christiaan...let it all sink in....and then write it up.
We can wait one more day, go out and enjoy the spring!
Oops it's raining in the Netherlands, go see a movie then and let someone else take care of the sound ;)!
Thanks! :) Rain or no rain, enjoy the Spring, I shall!

Can anyone who has installed the new NIC and switch confirm an improvement when playing local files?
Yes. It does indeed improve local file playback.

Steve Z

Unfortunate I have only 1 Taiko switch . I connected it direct to the router With DAC cable.
But as of today 2 additional Buffalo switches are a must to keep as an access point noise defence.
Hi Kris = Where do you put the Buffalos in your network chain? I tried: ATT ONT > Edge Router > Buffalo > Taiko Switch > Taiko Extreme and preferred the sound without the Buffalo more. Also, I liked the transparency (without loss of tonal richness) that Belden Cat6 cables afforded vs. Sablon or QSA ethernet cables...

Reactions: QuantumWave
I tried the M12 Gold Switch (in which I liked a lot on its own) In Front of the Taiko Switch and it also took away the transparency....Anyone need a M12 PM Me...

Can anyone who has installed the new NIC and switch confirm an improvement when playing local files?
I can confirm this wholeheartedly. I do not really use Qobuz or Tidal much as TAS has been unreliable for me and most of what I want is local. Local files benefit greatly!

I can confirm this wholeheartedly. I do not really use Qobuz or Tidal much as TAS has been unreliable for me and most of what I want is local. Local files benefit greatly!
Hi @seatrope it might seem a little off topic but I am just curious. You prefer local files vs. streaming. Could it be that streaming files are not enough buffered to RAM?

I think music files played from RAM, special complete albums buffered, sound better instead of playing track after track as in streaming.
Do you usually buffer local files (as full albums)? How does Extreme handle that?

Can you buffer full albums with Qobuz and Tidal or only one or two tracks at a time?
Thanks for some insight.

Last edited:
There has most definitely been a significant improvement in the sound quality when playing local files after installing the new NIC and switch. And it keeps improving with each version of the backend XDMS updates.

Reactions: VPN
Hi Kris = Where do you put the Buffalos in your network chain? I tried: ATT ONT > Edge Router > Buffalo > Taiko Switch > Taiko Extreme and preferred the sound without the Buffalo more. Also, I liked the transparency (without loss of tonal richness) that Belden Cat6 cables afforded vs. Sablon or QSA ethernet cables...
Modem - Ethernet cable - Router - DAC cable - Taiko switch - DAC cable - Taiko net card -Extreme.

But than there is a second arm for wifi:
TP link 660HD Access point - ethernet cable - Buffalo switch - ethernet cable - Buffalo switch - Dac cable - Router.
Tp link supply is a lifepo4 battery To brake supply interaction .

Yestarday added Ether Regen switch between the last Buffalo and router and it is still much better .
So as of last night 3 switches to isolate access point Polution.

Also access point softwere has an lowest anthenna power setting selected.
Result is astonashing .
Some say it this way:
„The presence of the real musitians being here is so real in my audio room
I noticed cocain dissapearing”

I tried the M12 Gold Switch (in which I liked a lot on its own) In Front of the Taiko Switch and it also took away the transparency....Anyone need a M12 PM Me...

put it between the access point and router .
never between the Taiko switch,

Reactions: QuantumWave
Have you tried connecting the buffalo switch to router using a utp cable instead of dac cable? The dac cable will connect the grounds of the buffalo switch and router and might be detrimental.

Reactions: gereric
Have you tried connecting the buffalo switch to router using a utp cable instead of dac cable? The dac cable will connect the grounds of the buffalo switch and router and might be detrimental.
As long as you will have ONE of the devices grounded not 2 or 3 , they will stabilise their grounds via DAC cable.
I prefer the DAC cable connection as I can clearly hear the much less noise .

if I ground all devices ( you have each grounded separate ) and use DAC cable there is a risk of ground loop. That can make a noise much more nusty.

Access point = modem? You mean between modem and (dirty) router?

Both XDMS and Roon updates that Ed was so kind to install in my Extreme today are amazing.
Thank you Ed and Taiko Team.
I cant believe the SQ the current Softwere was able to reach.
Its difficult to think how this will act in Beta or final xdms release .
Softwere is such a strong factor in a final result. It might be the most powerful factor.
The longer we wait for the final XDMS the better for us.
Looks like Taiko Team is discovering new things over and over.
Bravo ! Excellent job.
Thank you for doing it for us. Never stop.

Wow. Amazing, yet surprising. My Extreme/Horizon combination has led to the best sound from digital recordings that I have heard in my system, but my reel and LP rigs still sound better (to me).

I need you to visit to assess!
Same here. While I’m very happy with the Extreme and my DAC, when I play a well recorded album on vinyl on my Nagra TT, it’s not really even close. Vinyl still trumps digital, at least here.

Modem - Ethernet cable - Router - DAC cable - Taiko switch - DAC cable - Taiko net card -Extreme.

But than there is a second arm for wifi:
TP link 660HD Access point - ethernet cable - Buffalo switch - ethernet cable - Buffalo switch - Dac cable - Router.
Tp link supply is a lifepo4 battery To brake supply interaction .

Yestarday added Ether Regen switch between the last Buffalo and router and it is still much better .
So as of last night 3 switches to isolate access point Polution.

Also access point softwere has an lowest anthenna power setting selected.
Result is astonashing .
Some say it this way:
„The presence of the real musitians being here is so real in my audio room
I noticed cocain dissapearing”
@Kris, so you are stacking switches specifically to filter noise from the WiFi connection used for iPad remote?

Same here. While I’m very happy with the Extreme and my DAC, when I play a well recorded album on vinyl on my Nagra TT, it’s not really even close. Vinyl still trumps digital, at least here.
whether the twain shall meet remains yet a mystery but even though still not close what I have found with XDMS especially after each back end update I find that even though not close to vinyl or tape there is now such a sense of presence and organic palpability that close or not I find myself ever more involved with the music. It is not the suspension of disbelief but rather the ever increasing emotional involvement with the music. that XDMS brings to the table. The last backend update from a week ago was the largest jump in the SQ of XDMSfor my ears than I have ever experienced with past builds

Reactions: Zeotrope and cmarin
Both XDMS and Roon updates that Ed was so kind to install in my Extreme today are amazing.
Thank you Ed and Taiko Team.
I cant believe the SQ the current Softwere was able to reach.
Its difficult to think how this will act in Beta or final xdms release .
Softwere is such a strong factor in a final result. It might be the most powerful factor.
The longer we wait for the final XDMS the better for us.
Looks like Taiko Team is discovering new things over and over.
Bravo ! Excellent job.
Thank you for doing it for us. Never stop.
What Roon updates?
Details please

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu