Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
David…… be careful. set it and forget it until you get a new DAC

I am not looking to change it. I just don’t see it in the config file. Either way, I have the file backup up so there is no danger here.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am not looking to change it. I just don’t see it in the config file. Either way, I have the file backup up so there is no danger here.
as long as you are getting great music what does it matter where it is

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
as long as you are getting great music what does it matter where it is

I am curious plus I already had to edit the file after XDMS wouldn’t load following the new version. The new version trashed the config file so it needed to be changed.

You aren’t a programmer so this stuff doesn’t interest you.

Reactions: nonesup

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am curious plus I already had to edit the file after XDMS wouldn’t load following the new version. The new version trashed the config file so it needed to be changed.

You aren’t a programmer so this stuff doesn’t interest you.
It’s dangerous for me. When Ed does stuff with my computer I look in another direction. It’s well above my pay grade

Christiaan Punter

Someone will correct me no doubt if I've got this wrong, but my understanding now is that the DAC profile sets the buffer size and once a new profile is loaded (from the Extreme desktop) it stays until someone manually loads a different one. Eventually that looks to be configurable in xdms, perhaps, or perhaps auto-loaded based on one's chosen dac--I'm just speculating here, of course.
The config setting discussed was to set the bit size, I believe, and I understand why Taiko would prefer to make such adjustments themselves--I think they're afraid, and I can't disagree, that their support load would go way up (as though it weren't already over the top) if all of us alpha users started 'tinkering' on our own in the backwaters :).
Jerry
"The DAC profile sets the buffer size and once a new profile is loaded (from the Extreme desktop) it stays until someone manually loads a different one". --> Correct

"Eventually that looks to be configurable in xdms" --> Correct

"perhaps auto-loaded based on one's chosen dac" --> Potentially, but not planned ATM

In general, we prefer users to not tinker with configuration files, not just because incorrect values could be entered, but also because something as trivial as for instance a missing space, or one too many, can break the functionality. As Ed put it: the syntax is unforgiving.

Christiaan Punter

Reactions: AudioStore-V2K

engadin

Apr 23, 2022
Right now I have both roon and XDMS apps on my ipad.
Can I simply switch from one app to the other?

Or should I better be happy with what roon now does in my system (not bad!) ?
Not to get into trouble again.

While I do enjoy video calls with Ed :) I think his time should better be invested to get XDMS running perfectly.
Cheers, Ulrich

Reactions: wil

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
We have set up a XDMS Alpha

While I do enjoy video calls with Ed :) I think his time should better be invested to get XDMS running perfectly.
Cheers, Ulrich
To switch to Roon, you need to start the TaikoRoon service in Taskmanager

Reactions: kyoya78

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
To answer questions like this we are setting up a Discord Server which will have Control App updates for Android, MAC and Windows, Tips and hints, Blog, Feature requests and Bug reports for Apps other than iOS

If you wish to join the Discord Channel, email support@taikoaudio.com with your DAC and Extreme Serial number and we will send you an invitation

kyoya78

Apr 2, 2020
Japan
XDMS has a great SQ! Even album/track names in Japanese play without problems.

jaxdr

Feb 21, 2017
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
I would like to thank Ed for his persistence and patience in getting XDMS up and running with my Extreme. After a couple false starts XDMS is sounding marvelous. As good as TAS was, I find XDMS even more emotionally involving. It is fascinating what software development can do to improve digital.

The low level information that now presents itself and the decay of instruments/voices seem to create a soundstage of greater realism. TAS was a good step forward as it created a delicacy in the music and almost eliminated the digital edge/glare. XDMS is a further step in creating a sense of ease and reduction of digital anomalies.

Congratulations to the Taiko team. How many of our components improve their ROI over time? And with the projects already in the pipeline the future looks bright for us Extreme owners!

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
To all XDMS users alpha version 5 was just released though test flight
Just loaded version 5 and I now have buckets as opposed to a TAS like layout. Is this to be expected?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Just loaded version 5 and I now have buckets as opposed to a TAS like layout. Is this to be expected?

yes. However, the gallery view will return (according to Ed).

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain

Cheers, Ulrich
If you have some familiarity with Windows it is not difficult, otherwise it is better to refrain. You must first Ctr-Alt-Delete the Extreme and access the Task Manager. Choose the Services tab. Find the services (scroll to the end) xdms-player and xdms-server and right-click on them, choose stop. Now find TaikoRoon service and right click Start.

Christiaan Punter

yes. However, the gallery view will return (according to Ed).
Indeed, the buckets (which will be renamed) are for now to stay. We will add Tile views (cover art) shortly.

Reactions: oldmustang

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
If you have some familiarity with Windows it is not difficult, otherwise it is better to refrain. You must first Ctr-Alt-Delete the Extreme and access the Task Manager. Choose the Services tab. Find the services (scroll to the end) xdms-player and xdms-server and right-click on them, choose stop. Now find TaikoRoon service and right click Start.
I can switch back and forth between XDMS and TAS by tapping the icon on my iPad. I can get Roon by going to TAS control. I'm guessing I have both XDMS and TAS running which isn't good?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
you must stop the TAS service

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing