The American Sound Turntable- Beyond's Minimalist!

Interesting picture. It looks there is a component (a Lamm LP2.1 phonostage?) between the motor and the platter. That is quite a distance.

Hi Tim. Yes, that is the control unit of the Lamm LP1 phono stage on the top shelf between the turntable motor housing and main chassis and platter. The power supply boxes are on a separate rack off to the side.

The long, loose thread reduces the transmission of noise/vibrations from the very quiet motor to the platter, as do the two separate steel platforms with different isolation methods.

1718681377046.jpeg

1718681736400.jpeg

Nice one Peter. I like the looser thread vs very tight as well, but have never tried varying distance between motor and platter. Did you find that the longer the distance the better?

Hi Tim. Yes, that is the control unit of the Lamm LP1 phono stage on the top shelf between the turntable motor housing and main chassis and platter. The power supply boxes are on a separate rack off to the side.

It looks quite sharp, compact and purposeful. I notice the AS2000 is not quite square to its steel plate. I assume that is not by accident.

Nice one Peter. I like the looser thread vs very tight as well, but have never tried varying distance between motor and platter. Did you find that the longer the distance the better?

Yes I do. It was quite audible. I can not be sure if it was more about the long thread or more about moving the motor further away. Likely a bit of both.

Reactions: leyenda
It looks quite sharp, compact and purposeful. I notice the AS2000 is not quite square to its steel plate. I assume that is not by accident.

With the long thread, I had to rotate the base so that the thread did not rub against the arm board posts. I also had to move the motor forward on its platform so that the thread did not rub against anything. The left front post is now within the thread loop.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing