The American Sound Turntable- Beyond's Minimalist!

Nice one Peter. I like the looser thread vs very tight as well, but have never tried varying distance between motor and platter. Did you find that the longer the distance the better?

Leyenda, I like the looser and longer thread because it reduces the motor's influence on the platter. Any resonance in the thread is changed when changing the length and the tension. Both affect how resonances travel along the length of the thread. The platter has so much inertia that it needs very little help from the motor once up to speed. The further distance of the new motor location also reduced any motor resonance from traveling along the top shelf of the stand. The motor case and the turntable base have different isolation built in also reducing any interference.

Last edited:
So your serious allegation that I committed a knowing misrepresentation is based on your interpretation that I have suggested the turntable is for sale?

You concede my classified "ad is for the stand, not for the turntable" so you undermine your main point -- that I am selling the turntable.

I see nothing disingenuous whatsoever. You concede the ad is only for the stands.

I genuinely believe the turntable is available for purchase. Across many communications David has never given me any indication that he does not want to sell the turntable.

In selling the stands I might be able to steer to David a prospective purchaser of the turntable.

This thread is about the turntable, not the stand. You placed an ad for your stand, but you are soliciting a sale for the turntable with your posts in this thread, because it might help you sell your stand. I get that. My point is that David is not here and does not market his turntables on WBF for his own reasons. As a member of the industry, you should respect that. I mentioned this to you privately.

you are soliciting a sale for the turntable with your posts in this thread
Where is this solicitation? Please re-post it for us here.

My point is that David is not here and does not market his turntables on WBF for his own reasons. As a member of the industry, you should respect that. I mentioned this to you privately.
Please re-post here my post marketing David's turntables on WBF.

The irony about your line of questioning is that it is your posts on WBF about David's turntables that are evocative of the marketing of David's turntables, not my posts.

Last edited:
Where is this solicitation? Please re-post it for us here.

Please re-post here my post marketing David's turntables on WBF.

The irony about your line of questioning is that it is your posts on WBF about David's turntables that are evocative of the marketing of David's turntables, not my posts.

Here is one example.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a brand new-in-the-box, never used, AS-2000 turntable please contact David Karmeli directly or I will put you in contact with David.

I am leaving this discussion.

Here is one example.

I forgot about that post. Thank you for reminding me that I wrote a post (i) on the thread specifically about David's turntables, (ii) that one of David's turntables is available for purchase, and (iii) referring people directly to David to inquire.

What is the problem here?

Last edited:
I forgot about that post.

Argo quoted that very post just this afternoon, and you responded to him directly a few hours later. And then you argued with me immediately afterwards saying you never wrote such a post soliciting interest in David’s turntable.

The all stainless steel turntable on top of the all stainless steel stand is stunning looking. I think of them as a set.

I don’t think your custom stand has ever had a turntable on it. And you have never seen your custom stand so how do you know that the combination looks “stunning“?

Perhaps you should have your stand shipped to the Café and demonstrate it for the customers who visit you. Sell it as a demo unit from the Cafe. You may even like the way it sounds and keep it for yourself.

Perhaps I might make the trader an offer for the record deck , I have been considering putting together a secondary system , but without quite the same expectations.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lagonda
a picture of such is in this video. it does look 'stunning'.

Those stands do look great, but Ron's is a different proportion and a different color. It is completely custom. It is the tallest stand made and all silver. It does not look like these stands.

Nice plank design too.

Last edited:
Whoever purchases the turntable is the most likely purchaser of the unique, all stainless steel Nothing stands. So if I can find a purchaser for the turntable beyond David's group of customers I have a better chance of selling the Nothing stands.

The all stainless steel turntable on top of the all stainless steel stand is stunning looking. I think of them as a set.
Seems eminently sensible to me .

Argo quoted that very post just this afternoon, and you responded to him directly a few hours later. And then you argued with me immediately afterwards saying you never wrote such a post soliciting interest in David’s turntable.
When you kept referring to marketing I was thinking you meant something more formal and methodical than a single informal post offering to refer people directly to David.

I don’t think your custom stand has ever had a turntable on it. And you have never seen your custom stand so how do you know that the combination looks “stunning“?
You can get a good sense of it from thinking about your own stainless steel turntable on your own stainless steel platform. Rest assured that stainless steel on stainless steel looks stunning!

I think the standard Nothing racks with plain black shelves look pedestrian in comparison.

Last edited:
Perhaps you should have your stand shipped to the Café and demonstrate it for the customers who visit you. Sell it as a demo unit from the Cafe. You may even like the way it sounds and keep it for yourself.

What an interesting idea. Ron could put his turntable on it -- your black Lamm electronics look good on their stainless steel platforms -- or perhaps he could put a stainless stell component on it. Rest assured that stainless steel on stainless steel looks stunning! It might make a great conversation piece and surely sell! Wouldn't it go with your Clarisys speakers, Ron?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing