The American Sound Turntable- Beyond's Minimalist!

Quite something to comprehend 130kg+ balancing on a thin sliver of air. Just that in itself is beyond impressive. Congrats seems too low key a phrase to pass on.
The platter still rides on a bearing, right? It’s just greatly reducing the weight on it I believe like most air bearing turntables?

The platter still rides on a bearing, right? It’s just greatly reducing the weight on it I believe like most air bearing turntables?
In the case of VYGER, there is no bearing, only air. I can’t say for David’s design but I’m sure Peter can tell us. I’m going to guess David’s table also uses no bearing ‘cause a bearing is always going to introduce ‘something’ certainly not ‘nothing’.

Reactions: djsina2
How do they keep the ( heavy ) platter centered ?
Airlift ok , is there not some spindle -bushing arrangement involved ?
I would assume the spindle - bushing is also an air bearing..

In the case of VYGER, there is no bearing, only air. I can’t say for David’s design but I’m sure Peter can tell us. I’m going to guess David’s table also uses no bearing ‘cause a bearing is always going to introduce ‘something’ certainly not ‘nothing’.
In regards to the AS-2000 Peter said in another thread that it floats on air for almost no bearing wear. So I’m assuming it is reducing that 150lb load to grams or something but it’s still on a bearing.

Reactions: Argonaut and mtemur
From the Vyger website:

The ATLANTIS represents a real step forward in the history of turntable design. For the first time contact between the spindle and the bearing assembly has been completely eliminated.

They should update their marketing. Audio Tekne did this 30 years ago.

I never dug into this TT stuff .
So a oversized bushing of some sort to allow for a pressurized airfilm between spindle and bushing
Yes in case of Vyger, the spindle is ~2 inch diameter. Air pressure less than 1 bar. Even more fun… somehow Giuseppe also incorporates vacuum hold-down.

How do they keep the ( heavy ) platter centered ?
Airlift ok , is there not some spindle -bushing arrangement involved ?
There will be a magnetic centering and support so that the drop in air pressure does not destroy the sensitive bearing. As far as I know, this is the usual method.(emergency running)

You should try digging into speakers

I m happy with my speakers despite your critism .
After 2 - 3 years visiting shows i m even more convinced .
You can keep your horns ,... i should at least double the price of the XPE making it 100 K :cool:.
Marked to market

You have trouble with people not agreeing with you , the internet has a solution for this , you don t even need to go out the door anymore just google " better help "

Last edited:
that sounds like what I learned from the Micro Seiki SX 8000 II. The American sound turntables are completely different.
I’m sure they are… but i am 100% ignorant of David’s approach. American vs Italian attempting to solve the same problem who would expect anything but a few similarities at best — Ford vs Ferrari! (And I am not using “Ford” as a pejorative, quite the opposite in this case.)

What is you level of familiarity with Vyger’s approach?

Reactions: mtemur
The air gap between the two sliding surfaces is only a few micrometers. If these are damaged by a drop in air pressure or leakage, the bearing is scrap. There must be a safety feature for emergency operation. Today there are other good materials that no longer require lubrication, e.g. S-green(c) plastic.

I’m sure they are… but i am 100% ignorant of David’s approach. American vs Italian attempting to solve the same problem who would expect anything but a few similarities at best — Ford vs Ferrari! (And I am not using “Ford” as a pejorative, quite the opposite in this case.)

What is you level of familiarity with Vyger’s approach?

i’m not familiar with Vyger’s approach. But what you describe sounds like what the micro seiki is doing. The American Sound uses a different approach.

i’m not familiar with Vyger’s approach. But what you describe sounds like what the micro seiki is doing. The American Sound uses a different approach.
And that approach is… ? What can you tell us?

(Is there someplace this is all detailed?)

Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing