Trumpet videos

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Don't make me report you to the (trumpet) authorities... :)

I guess the jig is up. Surely you can't report me for this!!!

Reactions: DonH50

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sax, Kenny Burrell midnight blue on Altec 817

APP

Oct 1, 2014
A One Microphone recording perfect for phase coherence;
Just discovered this at the Sound Liaison sale. This girl can really play the trumpet. And isn't St. James the foremost of all trumpet ballads?:)

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Alison Balsam...probably the best female trumpeteer alive today

Reactions: tima

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
A One Microphone recording perfect for phase coherence;
Just discovered this at the Sound Liaison sale. This girl can really play the trumpet. And isn't St. James the foremost of all trumpet ballads?:)

Do you know if it is mono or a stereo microphone?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Wynton Marsalis live at the House of Tribes.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

More Alison Balsam

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Leif's system with digital

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

I'm quite certain there's a trumpet in here. ;)

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Do you know if it is mono or a stereo microphone?
It's a 3 capsule microphone. Joe Whip wrote a whole article about the recording process here; Sound Liaison - One Mic Recording

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

A flugel horn is almost a trumpet. Or is a trumpet almost a flugel horn?

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
A flugelhorn has a much "darker" sound than a trumpet. We sometimes call it a baby trombone or baby French horn. Whilst modern designs have diverged, the old rule in terms of tubing if you think of cylindrical as "straight tubing" and picture it laid out as a single long tube and visualize the conical flare as the opening of a horn:

trumpet = 2/3 cylindrical, then 1/3 conical (flared, up to the final bell flare)
cornet = 1/3 cylindrical, 2/3 conical
flugelhorn = all conical (it starts out small and gradually increases in size all the way through the bell flare)

All three are basically the same overlength (about 4'). Bell sizes are typically larger for flugelhorns, with cornets often having similar bell sizes as trumpets. IIRC my flugelhorn has a 6" bell (outer diameter at the opening) and my trumpets and cornets are 5" (my smaller trumpets, higher-pitched, have smaller bells, natch).

HTH - Don

p.s. Chuck is also a great trumpet player, and has a couple of jazz albums on which he plays trumpet instead. For flugelhorn, another well-known artist is Art Farmer (RIP).

edit: Old brain fart on cylindrical vs. conical, corrected.

Last edited:
Reactions: rubinken and Al M.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
A flugelhorn has a much "darker" sound than a trumpet. We sometimes call it a baby trombone or baby French horn. Whilst modern designs have diverged, the old rule in terms of tubing if you think of cylindrical as "straight tubing" and picture it laid out as a single long tube and visualize the conical flare as the opening of a horn:

trumpet = 2/3 cylindrical, then 1/3 conical (flared, up to the final bell flare)
cornet = 1/3 cylindrical, 2/3 conical
flugelhorn = all conical (it starts out small and gradually increases in size all the way through the bell flare)

All three are basically the same overlength (about 4'). Bell sizes are typically larger for flugelhorns, with cornets often having similar bell sizes as trumpets. IIRC my flugelhorn has a 6" bell (outer diameter at the opening) and my trumpets and cornets are 5" (my smaller trumpets, higher-pitched, have smaller bells, natch).

HTH - Don

p.s. Chuck is also a great trumpet player, and has a couple of jazz albums on which he plays trumpet instead. For flugelhorn, another well-known artist is Art Farmer (RIP).

edit: Old brain fart on cylindrical vs. conical, corrected.
Thanks for clarifying once again, Don. I know nothing about musical instruments and to the best of my knowledge my only experience with a flugelhorn is with Chuck Mangione's album here. Though you say and it's purported that the flugelhorn is "darker" or warmer (and I'm not doubting you) but the way Chuck plays it here, to my less-experienced ears it actually sounds very much like a slightly tamed trumpet.

Anyway, thanks for the education.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing