WBF: How Much Science Talk Do You Want to See?

WBF: How Much Science Talk Do You Want to See?

• I hate all the talk about science.The only thing that matters are my ears.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I am OK with other people discussing audio science, research, etc.But I ignore it.

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • I like participating in discussion of audio science even though I mostly rely on my ears.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • While I also listen, understanding of audio science is critical to me.

Votes: 40 36.4%
  • I am all about audio science. I listen but the science rules.

Votes: 7 6.4%

• Total voters
Sorry you only interpret it this way. Behind the marketing there is a clear message. Try reading some good poetry and then re-read it. :)
Instead of that, let's read the paragraph that comes after what you quoted from the Xs150/300 manual: https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/Xs_amp_om.pdf

"Conversely, we should accept that distortion becomes inaudible
below some arbitrary level. Is it at 0.1%? 0.01%? 0.001%? We
actually don’t know, because there has to be a much larger context of
performance to which a single number only alludes.

In the process of developing the Xs amplifiers, we paid a lot of
attention to the harmonic structure of the amplifier’s transfer curve.
It is apparent that reducing the numerical distortion numbers is not
as important as controlling the relative amounts of the harmonics
and their polarity. Even at low distortion levels, these harmonic
relationships are important to the perception of musical quality, but
they are not reflected in ordinary specifications."

Why choose to quote the flowery words rather than this? Is it because of the dislike of science and engineering talk???

He is right here by the way. That is because THD which is the sum of the harmonic distortion products is "psychoacoustically blind." It is an old measurement that was easy to do decades back which unfortunately keeps getting used. The reason it is a broken model is because the audibility of distortions increases with their harmonic order due to masking. We can see this effect from the graph in my article:

PsychoacousticMasking.png

Both of the blue and red bars present equal distortion levels. The one in blue however is completely masked and most likely inaudible. The one in red, is outside of the masking shadow and hence, audible. So when we play a test tone at 1 Khz and see harmonic distortions at 2, 3, 4, and 5 khz, we cannot just add these together as THD does. We must analyze them based on psychoacoustics and then we get a proper picture of how and if they are audible.

In that sense, I can let the second harmonic rise but if I sharply lower the later ones, I may get better fidelity even if the sum total has now increased. Which is what Nelson is talking about (although he goes to conceptualize some relationships between harmonics which I can't follow and he does not explain).

Back to my original point, here we have yet another high-end product, daring to get well into engineering and even perceptual aspects of audio distortion. So I ask again, are people offended by such talk? Do people avoid Pass Labs amplifiers because he dares to get into such detail in the owner's manual?

dkk, I'm not even going to respond to that, when you say stuff like this "You're also completely ignoring proper engineering and high end cable engineering", well, that's going to end all reasonable discussion, isn't it? How do you know what engineering principles I use? BTW, I do have a degree in engineering.

Also, your nonsense about UPOCC wire is just that. There is currently ONE factory with a license to use Professor Ohno's patented process. It's Neotech. They make all my wire, not some no-name mainland China company that does not have a license. BTW, Neotech is responsible for the manufacture of many brands of high end cable and has been in the business for many years, they make a product that can be trusted.

The entire tone of your post was offensive, way far off base and nowhere close to the truth, David... you'll never take me up on my offer and after that post I withdraw my offer anyway. Have fun with your Radio Shack wire.

Why so touchy Dave? Your entire argument has been based on raw material, silver, never once mentioned design, I only pointed it out. My nonsense as you call it is from years of manufacturing experience for companies like Kyocera & Mitsubishi.
Good luck!
david

Why so touchy Dave? Your entire argument has been based on raw material, silver, never once mentioned design, I only pointed it out. My nonsense as you call it is from years of manufacturing experience for companies like Kyocera & Mitsubishi.
Good luck!
david

Touchy? You've got to be kidding me... I'm done responding to you, this has gone way too far off topic. Sorry to everyone else.

Instead of that, let's read the paragraph that comes after what you quoted from the Xs150/300 manual: https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/Xs_amp_om.pdf

"Conversely, we should accept that distortion becomes inaudible
below some arbitrary level. Is it at 0.1%? 0.01%? 0.001%? We
actually don’t know, because there has to be a much larger context of
performance to which a single number only alludes.

In the process of developing the Xs amplifiers, we paid a lot of
attention to the harmonic structure of the amplifier’s transfer curve.
It is apparent that reducing the numerical distortion numbers is not
as important as controlling the relative amounts of the harmonics
and their polarity. Even at low distortion levels, these harmonic
relationships are important to the perception of musical quality, but
they are not reflected in ordinary specifications.
"

Why choose to quote the flowery words rather than this? Is it because of the dislike of science and engineering talk???

(...)

Back to my original point, here we have yet another high-end product, daring to get well into engineering and even perceptual aspects of audio distortion. So I ask again, are people offended by such talk? Do people avoid Pass Labs amplifiers because he dares to get into such detail in the owner's manual?

Thanks for making my point. And again, please do not change my words. No one objects to science - you seem to love victimization. The question is that current "official" science does not correlate with high-end sound quality and pseudo scientific interpretations of the ordinary data can be misleading to the public. Nelson Pass , Vladimir Lamm, Dan Agostino, Bascon King, all of them explained how they modeled their amplifiers. But it is not possible to reproduce amplifiers sounding the same as theirs from their information or know how they sound in high-end stereo systems without listening. This is the current status.

Please read the Stereophile "scientific" measurement section reviews - do they carry spectral analysis of distortion versus level versus load? Do they correlate them with sound?

BTW1, Ralph Karsteen of Atamasphere has presented much more complete references on this subject (spectrum of harmonic distortion) on this forum some time ago.
BTW2. I am free to choose what I quote to illustrate my posts. But thanks for supporting my points.
BTW3 Knowing science is also knowing its limitations.
BTW4 I am the person who introduced thermal distortion theory in this forum long ago. Do I get a WBF science medal? :)

And yes, we all love science and engineering talk. Marketing people know of it.

Thanks for making my point. And again, please do not change my words. No one objects to science - you seem to love victimization.
Huh? I created the thread because not only some people have objected to any such talk, but proceeded to quit the forum over it. Even the visible stats of this poll show five people who detest any talk of audio science. And 12 people who say they ignore it. Yet we have gone through two manuals of high-end products, the Wilson that I found, and the Pass Labs that you brought into the conversation, which are full of such talk.

The question is that current "official" science does not correlate with high-end sound quality and pseudo scientific interpretations of the ordinary data can be misleading to the public.
No, that is not the question in this thread. The question is why the mere discussion of science drives people away. That aside, what you state is an opinion. We get to determine the veracity of it through discussion and back and forth. Then people can draw their own conclusion from which side was more compelling to them. We don't get to that point if people get upset the moment any discussion of science comes up.

Your determination is wrong in this case anyway as we just went through two examples where the pseudoscience as you call it was quoted directly from manuals of high-end products. There is very useful science here that can be taught to the "public" that makes them more informed when they read a product brochure, gets them more prepared to discuss the technology with the designers, and at any rate, makes them aware of what arguments they may face in the future in forums and such. With no negative really because you can always choose to not engage. What I can't figure out is the angst and negative emotions which I am reading in your posts as well as in the ones who left. You want to explain something to me, explain why you are using such tone in this interaction with me.

Nelson Pass , Vladimir Lamm, Dan Agostino, Bascon King, all of them explained how they modeled their amplifiers. But it is not possible to reproduce amplifiers sounding the same as theirs from their information or know how they sound in high-end stereo systems without listening. This is the current status.
I have told you nothing about amplifiers sounding the same. So not sure why this has come into the discussion. I have created threads like this one to show that they may not even in double blind ABX tests: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ests-*did*-show-amplifiers-to-sound-different

Nor has someone said to stop listening. These are all words you are putting in my mouth while objecting to the same from me.

Now, this does not put any value behind a marketing line that says "we made our amps to sound this way and we think you will like it too" that you quoted. Every amplifier manufacturer says that. So there is nothing we can do with that statement. It is not quantitative or specific in any way.

Please read the Stereophile "scientific" measurement section reviews - do they carry spectral analysis of distortion versus level versus load? Do they correlate them with sound?
Some of their measurements do, some do not. The impedance graph, the very same one that was in Wilson manual, is what they perform on loudspeakers. JA then goes on to tie that to how difficult the load maybe exactly the same way I did. And what is there, is 100% correlated with what you hear. The colorations are audible.

Sure they also perform all the classic measurements because that is what is expected in the industry. A smart shopper learns what measurements are useful, which ones are not. And yes, by all means, he always listens. I always listen. So does everyone else who designs audio no matter how much of an objectivists. As I explained earlier, the whole foundation of audio research starts with listening.

You are confusing this discussion and proper audio science with garbage "objectivity" arguments you read on forums from people who don't know which end is up and are just trying to make a name for themselves on forums. And then putting it at my feet to defend. That is not the situation here. People did not leave the forum because of them. They left because of a far more proper discussion of audio science, with incredible amount of references of science, and explanations that tied them to here and now. Tell me what is wrong with that, not some generic anger at what others say in other places.

BTW1, Ralph Karsteen of Atamasphere has presented much more complete references on this subject (spectrum of harmonic distortion) on this forum some time ago.
BTW2. I am free to choose what I quote to illustrate my posts. But thanks for supporting my points.
BTW3 Knowing science is also knowing its limitations.
BTW4 I am the person who introduced thermal distortion theory in this forum long ago. Do I get a WBF science medal? :)

And yes, we all love science and engineering talk. Marketing people know of it.
As I said, you don't "all" love this kind of talk or we would not have a bunch of people leaving with one of them calling us "wankers" for daring to talk different than pure subjective praise of anything high-end. There is such extreme negativism in your responses that is hard to fathom. Why does discussion of audio science even in this limited way, when it is direct quotes from high-end manufactures, so bothersome? Can you explain that?

Huh? I created the thread because not only some people have objected to any such talk, but proceeded to quit the forum over it. Even the visible stats of this poll show five people who detest any talk of audio science. And 12 people who say they ignore it. Yet we have gone through two manuals of high-end products, the Wilson that I found, and the Pass Labs that you brought into the conversation, which are full of such talk.

No, that is not the question in this thread. The question is why the mere discussion of science drives people away. That aside, what you state is an opinion. We get to determine the veracity of it through discussion and back and forth. Then people can draw their own conclusion from which side was more compelling to them. We don't get to that point if people get upset the moment any discussion of science comes up.

Your determination is wrong in this case anyway as we just went through two examples where the pseudoscience as you call it was quoted directly from manuals of high-end products. There is very useful science here that can be taught to the "public" that makes them more informed when they read a product brochure, gets them more prepared to discuss the technology with the designers, and at any rate, makes them aware of what arguments they may face in the future in forums and such. With no negative really because you can always choose to not engage. What I can't figure out is the angst and negative emotions which I am reading in your posts as well as in the ones who left. You want to explain something to me, explain why you are using such tone in this interaction with me.

I have told you nothing about amplifiers sounding the same. So not sure why this has come into the discussion. I have created threads like this one to show that they may not even in double blind ABX tests: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ests-*did*-show-amplifiers-to-sound-different

Nor has someone said to stop listening. These are all words you are putting in my mouth while objecting to the same from me.

Now, this does not put any value behind a marketing line that says "we made our amps to sound this way and we think you will like it too" that you quoted. Every amplifier manufacturer says that. So there is nothing we can do with that statement. It is not quantitative or specific in any way.

Some of their measurements do, some do not. The impedance graph, the very same one that was in Wilson manual, is what they perform on loudspeakers. JA then goes on to tie that to how difficult the load maybe exactly the same way I did. And what is there, is 100% correlated with what you hear. The colorations are audible.

Sure they also perform all the classic measurements because that is what is expected in the industry. A smart shopper learns what measurements are useful, which ones are not. And yes, by all means, he always listens. I always listen. So does everyone else who designs audio no matter how much of an objectivists. As I explained earlier, the whole foundation of audio research starts with listening.

You are confusing this discussion and proper audio science with garbage "objectivity" arguments you read on forums from people who don't know which end is up and are just trying to make a name for themselves on forums. And then putting it at my feet to defend. That is not the situation here. People did not leave the forum because of them. They left because of a far more proper discussion of audio science, with incredible amount of references of science, and explanations that tied them to here and now. Tell me what is wrong with that, not some generic anger at what others say in other places.

As I said, you don't "all" love this kind of talk or we would not have a bunch of people leaving with one of them calling is "wankers" for daring to talk different than pure subjective praise of anything high-end. There is such extreme negativism in your responses that is hard to fathom. Why does discussion of audio science even in this limited way, when it is direct quotes from high-end manufactures, so bothersome? Can you explain that?

You seem to be justifiably obsessed with the people who left the forum because of "audio science" and the forum statistics - it was not my main interest in this exchange of views. When I was stating "No one" I was addressing people participating now actively in this thread - I didn't and don´t know about of your private administration affairs and was not thinking about the poll statistics. Perhaps I missed a few posts. My apologies for the confusion introduced by the "No one".

We were given excerpts of manuals as an example of the goods of science in audio. My perspective is that ambiguous general references to know basic facts without proper qualitative data and real analysis and debate is a poor way of defending audio science and only makes people distrust them. IMHO the tale that some measurements are good, others are not and smart people should understand which are not is unacceptable.

You do not tell people to stop listening, but the only way of "scientific listening" you seem to accept is not agreed or practiced by 99.9% of our readers. There is very little that can be debated in the high-end this way. IMHO this is an unsurpassable issue unless we find a bridge somewhere.

May be we should now have a separate thread on audio science?

Then why 99.99% of all audio ICs sold are made of copper? ...If silver is a better audio conductor, why more manufacturers aren't getting on it?
And how do we know that good silver (pure) is a better conductor; by listening, or by measuring (scientific numbers),...both?

Aside from the raw materials what's not discussed is the cable design which has a huge impact on the final cable. Each material does have its own qualities you can't deny that. In my own case I have never liked any product with silver in it. Sometimes its because of the obvious silver signature and sometimes I hear something that's off and only later I find out that there's silver wire used in the product. Silver plated copper doesn't bother me like pure silver.

david

I certainly can understand where you're both coming from regarding silver.

Since 2005, I've been having all my cables and misc electrical parts cryo-treated and in 2006 I started requesting having my cables double-cryo'd for even greater improvements. I've tried several silver IC's along the way and each time my findings were kind of like yours.

In 2006, I tried a pair of inexpensive silver IC's and though like the other silver IC's, their performance though good, just didn't quite match up to my then favorite copper Litz Audio Tekne's. The silver's went into a closest and over the next 8 years when coming across them a couple of times, I'd install them just to see if their performance might be better since my system's performance continues to evolve. But each time, they'd go back into the closet. I even tried to sell them once but no bites, so in the closet they stayed.

Fast forward to 2013, I was visiting Jena Labs web site and started reading up on their full immersion cryo'ing process where they take the object down to the Liquid Nitrogen's boiling point of -320.4 degrees F. Turns out all these years I've been having my cables and misc parts treated by what I now deem to be the inferior vapor cryo'ing process that always falls 30 - 40 degrees short of the -320 degree temp of liquid nitrogen.

Jennifer and Mike of Jena Labs are both former NASA contractors and have been cryo'ing for over 40 years now. Jena Labs is only 50 miles north of me so I contacted them about having cables cryo'ed by them and explained my previous and numerous cryo'ing experiences. Jena Labs explained the differences and in a nutshell explained how listening to cables cryo'ed via the vapor treated method was not much different than eating half-baked cookies. Because the vapor treated cables / metals were unable to receive the full benefit of the -320 degrees and also that via the much more popular vapor method, it is not possible to guarantee that the entire object is uniformly being cryo'ed at the exact same temp. They also explained that was why the 2nd vapor cryo-treatment offered an improvement over just a single-vapor-cryo treatment because the first treatment was only half-baked and the 2nd was a little more baked. But with the full immersion method, there is no benefit to a 2nd cryo'ing treatment. I assume they implied a fully-baked cookie cannot improve by becoming more fully-baked.

Jena Labs was visiting friends in the area so they stopped by to pick up my closeted silver IC's and a spare pair of inferior speaker cables. (I was not about to risk my primary cables at first crack). During that visit Jena Labs explained to me that silver simply was not as musical as copper and all of their bench tests proved that, as have some of their prominent engineering friends in the industry. Now Mike and Jennifer are fairly serious scientists or engineers (I forget which) and I'm not but I shared my opinion that since silver is a slightly better conductor than copper on the conductive metals chart, it's entirely possible it's a more revealing material and anything truly more revealing is indiscriminate about what it reveals (music and distortions) and I had a hunch that with an extremely low noise floor where distortions have been greatly minimized the silver's may actually be a more musical metal but they disagreed.

Anyway, I got the silver IC's and spare speaker cables back from the full-immersion process, burned them in and realized Jena Labs was right. Cables receiving the full-immersion process is indeed like eating fully baked cookies compared to eating half-baked cookies via the vapor-treatment process.

Realizing the rather significant improvements, I then had Jena Labs cryo all my remaining IC's and speaker cables and fuses too, including my very musical and favorite (copper) IC's which cost nearly 4 times the inexpensive silver IC's and numerous times since then have compared the previously inferior silver IC's to the previously superior copper IC's, leaving each pair in for several days at a time to ensure full settling in.

The point of this story, this now being several years since that time, to this day the inexpensive silver IC's easily remain my most detailed and musical IC's. I've also had the opportunity to compare a pair of copper IC's cryo'ed via full immersion that cost 10 x's more than my silver ic's and those coppers were actually a disappointment in comparison.

I suppose the second point of the story is that even scientific types can be just as fallible as anybody else and their experiences and tests can be just as limited but perhaps in different ways. Had I taken Jena Labs for their word based on their numerous tests between silver vs copper, well, I would never had known about the slight overall improvement my silver IC's provide. Ignorance is bliss, so big deal there. But had I taken them for their word, I would have never realized some musical improvements, sworn off silver cables forever, and suggested any my friends and colleagues do like-wise, thus potentially impacting silver cable mfg'ers business who themselves may not have been ignorant about silver's perceived abilities. IOW, ignorance, shortcomings, incorrect or incomplete studies and findings, and various other potential shortcomings call all have an effect on performance, pleasure, and quite possibly a business' ability to survive.

For me, this is just one example (there are better examples) why one should question everything and not just take somebody's word for it, especially when it relates to science and audio. I can assure you very few think of everything and far too many seem bent on keeping conventional wisdom, status quo, and/or folklore alive and well.

IMO, the more formally-educated and disciplined types, though highly intelligent and more highly respected at dinner parties are often times more confined and restricted to their rather large sandboxes and usually are unable to ever think outside of their sandbox and that invokes a potential serious limitation. On the other hand, less formally-educated and less disciplined and less intelligent and less respected at dinner party types like myself have such tiny sandboxes that I'm always thinking outside of it, and therefore, it is I and those like me who always ask "what if?" and then experiment who have the greater potential due in part to fewer limitations. :eek:

A little tongue-in-cheek, but there is some truth to that.

That's not difficult at all, it's the most frequently asked question I get. To answer... it's all relative, just like any component. Since there is no defined reference and we can't compare a cable to no cable or an amplifier to no amplifier, or a source to no source at all, we have to make relative comparisons.

How do I judge personally? My goals are the most neutral and highest fidelity possible without introducing harshness that can cause listening fatigue. Listening fatigue is evil and to be avoided at all costs. Fidelity I define as resolution as well as accurate timbre. Timbre is the reason I use gold in my cables, it makes for a very realistic timbre combined with the silver, which some find a bit "light" in tone by its self. With copper you typically get a warmth that makes the timbre too thick, and this warmth also obscures detail. Most people are used to this artificial warmth but when they experience the additional resolution a good cable can offer they miss it a lot less. Silver of 4N purity or lower causes listening fatigue by accentuating the leading edges and higher frequencies as well as adding a particular kind of harshness to the sound. It sounds exciting at first but over time it's really annoying and causes you to turn the volume down and eventually turn your system off. It reduces your enjoyment of music, which is why it's to be avoided at all costs. It's better to have an overly warm system with less resolution than a fatiguing system.

How does one exactly define the coloration of a cable? That's easy. The coloration of a cable will sound exactly like the coloration of a tube. I keep waiting for the questions to get more difficult. :eek:

Seriously though, every last audio product is less than perfect and as such induces one or more distortions. A coloration is nothing more the manifestation or audible expression (inaudible if below the noise floor) of one or more distortions or one or more distortions masking one or more other distortions.

DaveC, I like what I hear about much of what you say (though I've not read that much), including your take on silver-plated copper wire.

It's very very simple; you have to respect ALL opinions. And no one has the abso!ute solution/truth to all science and music listening in audio.
Human nature is as complex as nature itself, and if you don't respect it...then you lose your sense of identity and humanity and respect towards this planet with all its inhabitants.

Science is fine, and science is never definitive; it is constantly questioning...in search of discoveries. ...And the ones it made, they are never the u!timate...but the ones in need of exploring further. ...Science is the questioning of the world we live in, now, yesterday, and tomorrow.

Four high caliber members left, things were said, some of them sad, real sad...the world keeps spinning...and without respect it spins erratically.
I understand the situation, and it goes even much deeper than that. ...No one controls no one. ...Respect has to be observed, and respect has been lost. There is nothing scientific about that, it is sociology...simple human values of the highest degree.

Anyway, we are like ships, navigating the oceans, in search of bettering ourselves. ...And somewhere between the winds and the waves and the rains and under the clouds and in thick fog, ...we lost our ways...

Possible explanations may not be scientific explanations:

1. If people get upset the moment any discussion of science comes up it may not be "discussion of science" per se, but the user interface of that discussion. Maybe the tone, vocabulary, and general ability to communicate clearly a "science" issue to a non-science-issue person is weak. If someone wants me to be interested in what that someone has an interest ("science") when it is not of natural interest to me, then that someone needs to explain why I should spend my time on that and do so in a way that will cause me to pay attention. Jargon and guild-speak coupled with an urgency for truth about the ding-an-sich may sound more like vinegar than honey to the uninitiated.

2. It may be that people are more interested in technology than science. Maybe practical advice is more interesting than science explanations. It may be that people are unwilling to devote their time fully to understand science issues because they simply don't have the time or inclination. Some people come here to get away from work, some people bring their work here and some with a hobby may not want their hobby to become work.

3. Statements such as "...what you state is an opinion. We get to determine the veracity of it..." might cause me to wince. It might make me reluctant to participate if I feel like the veracity-nanny is looking over my shoulder, checking the truth value of my syllogism and the relative likelihood of my views. Maybe that is not how I feel comfortable participating. Maybe that does not happen but if I sense that it does for whatever reason, then I may clam up.

Maybe some part of these explanations account for some people choosing not to embrace science talk about audio. Or maybe not.
Sure, it could be any of those. But it could also be these two:

1. Lack of what we call in corporate executive training "emotional maturity." Can you set aside emotions and think logically? Or will you let emotions get in the way? It is a hard thing to do but most members I suspect have mastered this in real life. But somehow in a forum, we lose that skill and lash out emotionally. We all saw a recent example of this with Peter. And to some extent, people who have departed. Instead of just considering this a hobby, they take the discussion personally.

I was "lucky" to have to learn this when I was posting as an executive of Microsoft on AVS Forum on topics far more contentious than audio. I had press, colleagues, competitors, employees and friends all reading my online posts. A customer of ours actually escalated something I said to my boss who was SVP of all of Windows division. Fortunately he backed me and everything I had said was polite and on merit. But you learn to conduct yourself respectfully and let everything else pass you in a hurry when you are in that situation.

Bringing this closer to home, as soon as the most recent arguments started here, one of the senior members sent me a PM asking me if I am too dumb to not recognize the other party insulting me left and right. My answer was "no" :). But that I ignore it and stick to the topic at hand and let the members judge the other party for substituting that kind of language for a technical argument. I asked the person who sent me the PM to do the same and he would not. He detested the other person and did not want to be seen in the same room with him.

I know this is a hard skill to learn but we all need to learn it or else, avoid the debates. You can't engage in the debate yet constantly suffer because you can't control your negative emotions. As Spock would say, it is not logical :).

2. That we like science until such time it shows us to be wrong. You know, the old NIMBY (not in my backyard). So we say reviewers are not doing their job well with pure subjective reviews that anyone could write and without even listening to the gear. If you are one of those reviewers, then all of sudden this gets personal. And the person gets emotional per #1 above and eventually makes an emotional decision like leaving our forum "just to show you." Show us what? Once you become a reviewer, then you are open to have your public profession criticized just like we do with all professions. You don't want that, then don't engage in the arguments or have emotional maturity to not have it bother you.

Ultimately these are all weaknesses that we as type A males suffer the most from. I was once searching for appliances to buy for our kitchen remodel. I land on an "appliance forum" and start to read feedback from people on what to buy. But there was something constantly "strange" about it. I would read posts like, "I LOVE LOVE LOVE this or that dishwasher." Or "what stove do you LOVE?" What the heck? Then I realized there were all women! Right then you could see the males stick out like a sore thumb because the moment you challenged their opinion, they would get into war mode just like we do here. The women, would not. Now my wife says they have their own battles just the same in the forums she reads but I can tell you that as males, we are much more ill suited to this type of communication and discussion as women. We need to have self awareness of this at all times. That our arguments are not at all times on merit. It is the alpha male in us that wakes up one day and decides to quit a forum for revenge.

Am I guilty of these things? Sure. I can't completely separate myself from them just the same. But I do have the self awareness and have learned from mistakes of the past. Shortly after we created this forum, I started a thread called "Your most embarrassing audio moments:" http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1014-Your-most-embarrassing-audio-moments. As you see there, I volunteer the catastrophic ways I was wrong in audio. Those mistakes spanned both audio religions. It shows that I was wrong believing either camp in the absolute. Recognizing those mistakes have made me stronger in pursuit of what is right in audio because I am not afraid of my mistakes become public. I wear them with pride as a matter fact.

Pursuant to that thread, I realized that nothing, and I mean nothing, I knew about acoustics and loudspeaker performance was right. Some 30 years in the hobby and I had to throw out everything I knew and start over again. It was a literal erase and reboot. That very discussion is what got us here with people not wanting to take the same journey. Ah, they have been in the hobby for 30 years listening so they must be right. Well, I was not. If you are, then you are smarter than me and a bunch of other people.

I became an audiophile because I like to listen to music and I like good sound.
Same with all of us. Somewhere in there we have gone beyond being audiophiles and become teachers, trying to tell people who audio works. That is why we are here. Not because we are different in that regard.

Sure, it could be any of those. But it could also be these two:

1. Lack of what we call in corporate executive training "emotional maturity." Can you set aside emotions and think logically? Or will you let emotions get in the way? It is a hard thing to do but most members I suspect have mastered this in real life. But somehow in a forum, we lose that skill and lash out emotionally. We all saw a recent example of this with Peter. And to some extent, people who have departed. Instead of just considering this a hobby, they take the discussion personally.

Let's set the record straight Amir, you made it personal. I could care less whether someone criticizes a review I write because I might actually learn something from constructive criticism. I expect to be criticized and said that the first time I posted a link to a review I wrote on WBF. Facts are facts, and I'm not engaged in opportunistic revisionism. You made it personal by demanding that myself and other reviewers try and force audio manufacturers into releasing measurements for all of their gear because you want it. And failing that, you said all reviewers should go out and buy $60K worth of test gear so we can take our own measurements. You then showed a test bench with your gear and said you had spent over $70k of your money to purchase the gear you have and asked why shouldn't reviewers do the same.

2. That we like science until such time it shows us to be wrong. You know, the old NIMBY (not in my backyard). So we say reviewers are not doing their job well with pure subjective reviews that anyone could write and without even listening to the gear. If you are one of those reviewers, then all of sudden this gets personal. Show us what? Once you become a reviewer, then you are open to have your public profession criticized just like we doAnd the person gets emotional per #1 above and eventually makes an emotional decision like leaving our forum "just to show you." with all professions. You don't want that, then don't engage in the arguments or have emotional maturity to not have it bother you.

I can only speak for myself, but I didn't leave this forum "just to show you." I left because of the relentless and unrealistic demands you were trying to place on reviewers and making WBF a place where reviewers no longer felt comfortable or wanted. Simple as that Amir. In case you haven't figured it out yet with your latest poll, most people really don't care all that much about measurements. Some do, more pretend to. Some think specification sheets are measurements and they are happy with those. Just because you want measurements for everything didn't make it fair for you to place that responsibility on reviewers to make your dream come true and demand we do it while you as an owner of audio/video business bear no responsibility to demand manufacturers provide measurements that you so desperately want. You told me it was my responsibility.

Ultimately these are all weaknesses that we as type A males suffer the most from. I was once searching for appliances to buy for our kitchen remodel. I land on an "appliance forum" and start to read feedback from people on what to buy. But there was something constantly "strange" about it. I would read posts like, "I LOVE LOVE LOVE this or that dishwasher." Or "what stove do you LOVE?" What the heck? Then I realized there were all women! Right then you could see the males stick out like a sore thumb because the moment you challenged their opinion, they would get into war mode just like we do here. The women, would not. Now my wife says they have their own battles just the same in the forums she reads but I can tell you that as males, we are much more ill suited to this type of communication and discussion as women. We need to have self awareness of this at all times. That our arguments are not at all times on merit. It is the alpha male in us that wakes up one day and decides to quit a forum for revenge.

Again, this is where you are so wrong. I didn't quit this forum out of revenge or "just to show you." I quit because you were being relentless in your unrealistic demands that you were placing on reviewers and making me feel unwanted and unwelcome. The fact that you don't like what reviewers do and think anyone can do our job without even listening to the equipment which is another giant slap at reviewers doesn't really bother me. What bothers me is that you feel it's our job to demand that manufacturers provide a full set of measurements for their gear and that in the meantime, we need to spend $60k of our own money to buy test equipment so we can measure all of the gear we review. I don't see much "emotional maturity" or an ounce or realism in your outlandish demands you placed on reviewers. If it makes you feel better to say I left because because I don't like having my reviews criticized which is blatantly false vice owning up to the real truth, so be it. Unlike trolls who enjoy hanging out in internet forums where they are hated, despised, and loathed, I'm the exact opposite. I don't go to places where I don't feel welcome and you personally made me feel not welcome at WBF.

I learn from reading other member's posts here...and I learn too what seems to me a lost in control, a disrespect of opinions, and an above attitude that dismisses others as being an inferior human race. It is there, I don't imagine it.

Every human being is important, every discussion is important, every opinion is important, ...and yet look @ what happened...some of us get way too serious as if we were the only one important people here. Well, we just are not; even if we have more experience and expertise in life in our own domain it doesn't make us more right and superior.

We're all in it for sharing our viewpoints, and respecting them all.

What is best? Respect, that's what. And taking responsibility for our actions and words. ...It is extremely rare for some folks to apologize for their mistakes...it seems to be beyond their own convention/precondition. ...If we can't be strong in the basic values of humanity how can we expect to grow up in this audio hobby that we love so much?

It doesn't take a master degree to balance science and music listening appropriately. ...To distinguish the differences and their contribution on an equal level.
The passion that we have, the energy, the stamina, ...all in proper balance can make us grow much faster and better. ...Nope, not everyone sees it that way; it's their way and there is no other way. Sorry but it simply is not; it's all our ways, ALL the people. If we think our way is the best way, then it's time to look around real seriously.

Science is the freedom of exploration, and it is a science to listen to music in every aspect of life.
We don't respect other's opinion, we believe we are superior, above the people who have less than us. ...Anything, that they haven't and that we have.
How more wrong could we be than that!

If I cannot get respect from my peers and cannot give respect to them, if I don't have an equally respectable social status of financial freedom than others, if I don't have what it takes to be worthy as any other human being, then I'd rather not be here among them who think that way.

This is not my story, this is all our story. This is not our fault if we are weak, this is all our fault. ...Yeah, I know; that's a very tough one to accept, and that's the dilemma since the beginning of mankind.

It's funny; this thread goes much deeper than what on surface it appears to. We are a weak human species, and we need to support each other all together.
And what's even funnier is that as all intelligent adults we still act like young kids trying to adapt in this imperfect world.
Sometimes I'm holding the right end of the string, other times it slips out of my hand and I feel sad to see my balloon go freely up in the air.

Tube amplifiers can sound different to solid state because of their high output impedence ,which can affect the frequency response of the loudspeakers ,depending upon the design of the amplifiers they can also suffer from extremely high distortion ,usually at the frequency extremes.
If you change the electrical of a cable enough then it can sound different, for example high capacitance, or if you insert a resistor,that may rol off treble, why anyone would choose to use cables as tone controls is beyond my comprehension.
Keith.

What a pompous statement. Cables are selected just like any other component. Every piece of gear we choose should get us closer to the sound we are looking for.

I don't go to places where I don't feel welcome and you personally made me feel not welcome at WBF.
Let me apologize for this Mark. As your host, it is my responsibility to make you feel welcome and I failed in that. I am very sorry. You are a founding member of the forum and you deserve the highest level of respect I can express to you.

I will respond to the rest later but wanted to make this part clear and now.

What a pompous statement. Cables are selected just like any other component. Every piece of gear we choose should get us closer to the sound we are looking for.

Keith is not exactly PC but he has a point. Any part you use that deviates from neutral pays the price in deviation from fidelity, usually loss of resolution occurs but other issues such as brightness, grain, etc. may also result. One example of this is a cable I made using Duelund silver wire (the cable is now discontinued). Duelund wire is far from neutral but has a beautiful tone that helped poor recordings and covered up flaws in the system without sacrificing as much resolution as warm copper cables do. This cable is a love-it or hate-it affair... in some systems it's just the thing to get rid of some listening fatigue but in others people just hate it and there's little middle ground. In contrast my most neutral cable has never got a bad review in any system, ever. Although I have not done the calculations I have enough information to be sure this is a statistically significant claim, it's really black-and-white... and does lend evidence to the fact that cables are audible. ;)

In general, I have found people that think they want a certain sound usually change their mind after experiencing a more neutral, higher fidelity sound. And I think this correlates with the Harman speaker preference testing as well, higher fidelity is a general preference... but we're all human and people should buy whatever they think sounds best of course. :) Personally, I think the beauty of audio is in it's combination of science and art.

Let me apologize for this Mark. As your host, it is my responsibility to make you feel welcome and I failed in that. I am very sorry. You are a founding member of the forum and you deserve the highest level of respect I can express to you.

I will respond to the rest later but wanted to make this part clear and now.

He does, deserve the highest respect, and so are we all, from him as well. ...It's a mutual thing.

Its all about inflexible positions and its obvious from this poll that most of the ppl contributing to the forum do not subscribe to a science says it all point of view.
I have huge respect for Armir in his responses and well thought out posts.. but quoting science all the time will never bludgeon anyone in any direction in what is essentially a subjective hobby.
Either side needs to lose its dogmatic position. There is room in hifi for all sorts of views.

Its all about inflexible positions and its obvious from this poll that most of the ppl contributing to the forum do not subscribe to a science says it all point of view.
I have huge respect for Armir in his responses and well thought out posts.. but quoting science all the time will never bludgeon anyone in any direction in what is essentially a subjective hobby.
Either side needs to lose its dogmatic position. There is room in hifi for all sorts of views.

Probably the best and most succinct post of this thread which IMO seems to have established that very point. Thank you Rodney. I gave up reading it days ago when that very point was clearly established in my mind

Dare we say more or shall we continue this lame debate and drive away more valued members because they become fearful of posting for this very reason

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing