What ethernet cables are members using?

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I tried a number of cables finally settling in on Shunyata Sigma’s. Amazing cables. A couple of months ago I moved up to the Shunyata Omega’s’, OMG, they blow every other cable I have ever heard away.

FDPDK

May 15, 2021
Denmark
For now i am using NordostHeimdall ethernet cable , have tried Audioquest cinnamon and vodka , as i just got an Lumin X1 streamer i am going to try out a Sotm switch with sfp later this year. But i also think that the Shunyata ethernet cables sounds really interesting.

RDSChicago

Nov 12, 2013
For now i am using NordostHeimdall ethernet cable , have tried Audioquest cinnamon and vodka , as i just got an Lumin X1 streamer i am going to try out a Sotm switch with sfp later this year. But i also think that the Shunyata ethernet cables sounds really interesting.
i too have an X1 with fiber optic going into the X1 from a Cisco switch. Query if the quality of my 20+ foot Ethernet cable makes a difference since only the short fiber optic cable is going into the DAC?

FDPDK

May 15, 2021
Denmark
Well RDSChicago ....i think the only way to know would be to try a different ethernet cable and would also e really interesting. From common sense it should not make a difference , but i think in audio we have all been amazed on things / cables that made a difference although it shouldn't be so.
Right now i am just using a D-Link switch with an IfI x power supply which was a nice upgrade over the one that came with the D-Link switch.
A cheap solution for you would be to try an AudioQuest cinnamon as they are fairly cheap , and made a nice upgrade over a standard ethernet cable.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
From my NUC to my Router and from Router to Switch i use 2 Mad Scientist Black Magic LAN cables.
From Switch to Aqua LinQ i use Paul Pang's Platinum-M LAN cable.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Another Shunyata ethernet owner here. Just amazingly neutral and accurate sound, excellent transients too.

Reactions: J007B and kennyb123

Bobofei86

Apr 11, 2021
The best Ethernet cable I have tried is Dalby audio design - Jundo Ethernet cable which cost more than 10kUsd… it’s something very magical which remind me sth like slitech triple crown PC/ interconnect or Nordost Odin2

But heard from their dealer in Hong Kong it’s not available and stopped production for a while, Im using their entry level Dably Meda for the switch to Extreme and AIM NA7 for the router and modem, of coz Dalby is much better than AIM but in terms of price performance, AIM is the best you can find ~1k on the market

Jambo

Apr 15, 2015
Australia
I have had the Dalby Meda Ethernet for a long while. i enjoyed its performance for a long while. But as my system has gained more resolution and general sound improvements. I started to detect a little of its silvery nature (A little lean, a little bright, but very good resolution) So I stopped using it.

I went to the Pink Faun network work cable which just like their usb cable is outstanding for the price. in my system I preferred it to the Meda, But recently I went and bought Crystal Cable Monet ethernet, even though it silver there is no ‘silvery’ nature. It‘s the best I have personally had in my system, highly recommend. Thinking of getting another one.

Here is a review of it:

Last edited:

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Hi all, what is the current consensus on shielded vs. unshielded ethernet cable?

@Taiko Audio says that unshielded twisted pair ethernet is superior to shielded sonically, while @Sablon Audio says unshielded ethernet cable do not have sufficient noise rejection and he quadruple shields his cables. How do we reconcile these diametrically opposing views from industry experts?

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
Quite easily. The underlying issue is about ground plane noise being passed along the shielding between the two metal plug shells. I float the shielding at both ends to prevent this.
And mine is as quiet as a church mouse.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Quite easily. The underlying issue is about ground plane noise being passed along the shielding between the two metal plug shells. I float the shielding at both ends to prevent this.
You can keep the shield and metal connectors. As long as both devices the cable connects are grounded, to the same ground point, there will be no current flow in the shield.

Last edited:
Reactions: nuway

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Hi all, what is the current consensus on shielded vs. unshielded ethernet cable?

@Taiko Audio says that unshielded twisted pair ethernet is superior to shielded sonically, while @Sablon Audio says unshielded ethernet cable do not have sufficient noise rejection and he quadruple shields his cables. How do we reconcile these diametrically opposing views from industry experts?
Hi there,
As far as I understand this dimension of networking, what you don't want are component ground planes connected to one another via ethernet cable screens. Essentially what you do want is zero continuity between components. If an ethernet cable has conductive metal plug’s with screening, then essentially you can end up with parasitic currents circulating around your equipment’s ground plane causing noise. If on the other hand your cable is screened but with non-conductive plugs that avoid continuity between components I really can‘t see how that would be detrimental. In my system two of my goals are to minimize cable losses AND avoid EMI, so I use cables with non-conductive plugs on screened cables, with screens all star earthed to a central low impedance ground.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain

I use Esprit Eureka and have best of two options…

“If we were to stereotype things: fully shielded cables tend to be very silent, have a wide bandwidth and a lot of details but can be a bit dull.

On the contrary: unshielded cables are livelier, have more punch but they also generate more noise, have a narrower bandwidth and retrieve less detail.

Esprit developed what we call progressive shielding:

On the first third of the cable, there is no shielding. On the next third, there is one layer of shielding and on the last third, two layers of shielding. The result is a true combination of the qualities of shielded and unshielded cables in terms of silence, bandwidth, dynamics and details.”

E4385B5B-1982-4F86-B6DF-A4979C152201.jpeg

Last edited:

7ryder

Jan 31, 2015
I was using Shunyata Sigma and ordered some Omegas as well as Pink Faun's InterLink LAN cables to see if I'd notice a difference.

Interesting that there was some digital "glare" or fatiguing with the Sigma that I didn't notice before trying the Omega LAN cable. Once the Pink Fauns showed up, they were clearly more musical in my system than the Omega right out of the box and they have opened up even more now that I have 300+ hours on them. So the Omegas went back to the dealer and the Pink Fauns are staying (BTW, besides the PF LAN cable, all of my cables are Shunyata).

Reactions: MattSPL

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

It's easy. You A/B them and choose the one you prefer. Why would you go with someone else's opinion?

Reactions: christoph

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

I think it’s important to consider context. Emile was speaking in terms of the Extreme, which has been highly optimized in terms of both hardware and software. What one observes with an Extreme might not carry over to other servers. There have been a couple of switches, for example, that have been found to be detrimental with the Extreme but are highly favored with other servers. So if you have an Extreme equipped with the USB card and are running TAS, then you might find your preferences align with Emile’s. If you don’t then maybe opposing views might be more applicable.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
On the first third of the cable, there is no shielding. On the next third, there is one layer of shielding and on the last third, two layers of shielding. The result is a true combination of the qualities of shielded and unshielded cables in terms of silence, bandwidth, dynamics and details.”

That’s an interesting approach. Having it shielded on the end that’s closest to our gear seems like a good trade off.

I had not been aware of this manufacturer before. Thanks for sharing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing