Why Some Audiophiles Fear Measurements

As I mentioned, 600 was the *output* impedance of the generator, not the input of the analyzer. Orb post some samples and I would add that output impedance of sources is often frequency dependent, rising at higher frequencies.

Yeah was one of the reasons I provided the examples to show how your output covered nicely the two extremes with most products comfortably inside those limits.
I should had explained in my post, where I said x ohms to x ohms, in those instances there is a "behaviour" where we see it is frequency dependent and why in some cases I start with a higher value, so interestingly there are a couple of products that are really stable and of those the manufacturer Ayre stand out as both their player and preamp do not fluctuate.

One aspect I should had mentioned is that I am not sure just how useful the information will be that is generated and measured because most cable analysis has not really shown why/if cables do affect sound or importantly performance behaviour (apart from the Transparent that could help where some/most/no idea products cannot deal with ultrasonics I guess).
My thoughts on this is that it depends what one is trying to show, because IMO a cable can be both passive and active.
By this I mean the use of an unbalanced cable with product A and product B that does not involve galvanic isolation/transformer-electronic floating stage/ design and implemented completely or correctly, or an isolated test and measurement setup/environment.
I am focusing on unbalanced because in theory it is a compromised implementation compared to true balanced.

So in passive I mean you could test a cable with say AP, however the AP products are galvanic isolated so any interaction from the environment and with the asssociated electronic hardware is blocked (makes sense for a test and measurement tool).
By active somehow a test would need to be designed with the cable connected between two powered products (source-or-preamp-or-power amp), with the generated signal entering product A and measuring the output in product B.
A possible alternative I was thinking about would involve some sort of passive monitoring that allows the measuring tool to be inserted in the input or output stage or a dual split from one of the connectors.
Now I am not sure if this is even feasible but would require modification of one of the two products.
A less invasive idea may be the record out on some preamps, but again this comes down to what and how the test signal is generated (by the AP or from a digital source with signal-tones on CD), and how the record out is implemented.

I really should try to explain it much better but just throwing the idea out 1st to see what Amir/Don can think of with regards to possible tests involving the unbalanced cable and critically two powered products that it will connect.
Some may be asking why this could be important but it goes waaay back to John Curl's own tests with RCA cables in 2004 or sometime like then.
I am quoting one of my posts at Stereophile where I am also a member (and also DIYAudio) that touches briefly on the conclusion and summarised pretty nicely by Bruno Putzeys (he was involved along with several other highly respected engineers in working out what JC identified).

Orb said:
Well aint the universe full of coincidence
Seemed Bruno has been dragged back into the discussion just yesterday, Steve Eddy still arguing with JC on this, and everyone else arguing as well.

Here is the post from Bruno on DIYAudio, the bold are IMO the crux of all the discussions from before.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blast from the past! SE wrote me to ask if I would come here. So:

My goodness is this thing still going on?!!

Unbalanced cables are notoriously sensitive to contact noise in connectors (what with the same connection being responsible for equalising ground potentials and providing a reference for the signal), and RCA connectors are notoriously liable to develop such trouble.
What I remember John explaining during our chat was that somehow his setup highlighted these.
The unbalanced I/O of the AP test sets are floating so such problems would not ordinarily arise.

During my measurements in 2004 -done by request of SE who wanted a second opinion whilst being embroiled in a discussion with John- I still occasionally got distortion but when that happened I always checked solder joints and cleaned the connectors which invariably solved it.
Again, in a system with non-floating I/O this might still not cut it.

So where John and I agree is that these (and some other) problems are real.
His test setup was not so much different from the kind of condition under which these cables would be normally used.
The worst thing you could say is that it did not allow proper control of all variables involved.
After all, a layer of oxide on the connector shell belongs neither to the cable, nor to the test equipment.
Same for a circulating current.
But that does not mean the readings are meaningless.
The same problems arise whenever an RCA cable (and occasionally XLR, see "pin 1 problems") sits between two boxes.

Where John and I take different routes is not in the physics but in emphasis on where to start working the problem.
I'll first try to address it electronically (design circuits which are minimally sensitive to anything a nonideal cable might throw at it).
His is first to attack the connection (use cables & connectors that don't cause problems for most circuits).
This is as literally as I can remember what we said.

Both go a long way, but for perfect results you need to do both of course.
You can't design an input that'll successfully recover an audio signal transmitted along two parallel wires, and you can't design cable that will prevent hum in an unbalanced connection with a ground loop and stamped sheet-steel pcb-mounted RCA connectors.

Now note that I didn't bother reading much of this thread. The lone fact that nearly 6 years after all this I could still suddenly be yanked back into the same discussion says something.
I hope you'll understand that I'm not going to follow up on this thread, but I hope that this reply will be helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just to clarify Bruno's points, from a technical perspective oxidisation, truly floating input/output -isolation transformer, joints-contacts issues,etc are not actually part or integral to the cable even if they do affect results that may vary depending upon the rca cable.

I tend to agree with the view that the HP setup due to not having the same isolation as the APs managed to replicate the behaviour caused between two seperate audio products connected by RCA cables.
In other words cables may have different subtle affects, but they should not if audio circuit design was modified.
Of course this is just theory and as I mentioned earlier no-one has bothered to investigate further this possibility, or any of the others.

Thats my take on it anyway and I am sure many will have a different perspective.

Cheers
orb

Hope this helps but as I say I am not stating as fact this explains or proves cables sound different or importantly interact with the audio system, just that I would be interested if Don/Amir/JA/Myles/Jeff/etc could think of tests that involve testing cables while operating with two electronic audio products to see if there is some kind of interaction.
If there is some kind of interaction then other tests and setups can be considered, including those that are highly specific and designed to trigger and monitor certain parameters and responses-behaviours.
Thanks
Orb

Last edited:
Simply using an integrated circuit he could get less than 0.1 ohm out to 100Khz, but then that would be cheating because interconnects would measure even more the same and high end gamesters would really have to make their interconnects super wierd to make them into tone controls!

Anyway, after orbs posting of the ultra high end state of the art output impedance, better not hang a buffer on the AP, better put a series 300 ohm pot to capture the range out there!

Tom
Heya Tom, ah I tried to find some cheaper products where maybe there are more compromises but bloody Stereophile seem to pay more attention to integrated amps and speakers in that section (makes sense as thinking of the potential client base) bah :)
Ideally having cheaper products would had been interesting in comparison, and as you rightly say what I posted is really the highe end state of the art.

If anyone got good measurements for those from independant source (not the manufacturers own figures) might be worth posting.
Thanks
Orb

By this I mean the use of an unbalanced cable with product A and product B that does not involve galvanic isolation/transformer-electronic floating stage/ design and implemented completely or correctly, or an isolated test and measurement setup/environment. I am focusing on unbalanced because in theory it is a compromised implementation compared to true balanced. So in passive I mean you could test a cable with say AP, however the AP products are galvanic isolated so any interaction from the environment and with the asssociated electronic hardware is blocked (makes sense for a test and measurement tool).
Interesting. The Heisenberg effect is alive and well here too (the very act of measuring something, affects how it works).

One way to get around the AP floating ground might be to play a CD, and taking its analog output via test interconnect and route it to a pre-amp and then measure the output of the pre-amp. Switch cables and see what happens. Heisenberg effect may be even stronger there as the extra electronics may create a condition that is not true for others. Still, if I get time, I will try to run the test.

And I would add that something thats inaudible is measureable too.
And therein lies what the other side fears :). Folks demand that measurements be shown or else the difference can't be audible. When you show that, then folks run away by saying well, it must not audible. How do they know that definitively across large population of audiophiles? Have they performed large scale double-blind tests of them to know what they do or don't hear in all circumstances?

While I am posting this, I will mention the second thing the other side fears: a real, engineering reason why an audible difference might exist. I have been involved in countless arguments like this. Person claims HDMI is perfect for audio because it is digital and it is buffered (latter mentioned if they are engineers). Try to explain why that is not the case and they cover their ears. It seems they are fearful of learning just as much as the next guy. They will insist time and time again that they don't hear a difference so no difference might exist. Say what? How did that become proof? Heck, most of the time it turns out they have done no testing of their own whatsoever even with their own ear!

That gets me to the third thing they are against which is their own experimentation. I give them a scenario to test their own ear to see if their judgement of everything sounding the same is true. I make it very simple. I ask them to test high bitrate MP3 against the original blind and come back and report whether they think they sound identical. I even give them hints as to what kind of content is more revealing. Without exception, they say they can't be bothered.

For example, a tone that is 100db down from a loud or soft listening level can be seen on a spectrum analyzer no problem but no one is going to hear it!
Sure you can hear it. If your music has average level of -50db and you turn it up to make it equiv to 0db, then you will hear that tone even -100db! I am exaggerating of course :). But to make the point that one has to have a deep knowledge of so many things to be able to say something like that and have it stick.

For me, to sum up, if an audiophile fears measurements that is because s/he does not want to face audio reality and wants to live in audio cuckoo fairly land. We have nothing to fear but fear itself comes to mind here.
I will sum up by saying both sides have plenty to fear. The fear has nothing to do with audio. It has to do with being human and proved wrong in a public forum. For males at least, nothing is more shameful than that, so we defend it until death.

I will sum up by saying both sides have plenty to fear. The fear has nothing to do with audio. It has to do with being human and proved wrong in a public forum. For males at least, nothing is more shameful than that, so we defend it until death.

Amirm

I construct your answer as very wise and very diplomatic. I would however say that the other side as you call it has no fear of measurements proving them wrong. They actually are looking for it to explain many things. I would on my side repeat something that seems to be lost in the sea of posts: Anything that can be reproduced can be measured. The very act of reproduction is a measurement. What we hear can be measured, always.
I hasten to say that I do not take the , to me, extreme view that we have measured and know how to measure everything that needs to be measured. I am not sure we have measured everything and even less correlated well what we have measured with what we hear. For example. THD which seems to be such a nice metric doesn't seem so relevant to what we perceive as quality reproduction. There are serious studies that have revealed that people scan tolerate up to 50% THD with no problem (frequency dependent of course). to me we are not there yet but we must strive to measure, refine our methods, parameter and protocols and correlate. In that open minded attitude IMHO lies the way to vast improvements in Audio reproduction. Not in declaring in a very dogmatic improvable fashion that we can't measure or not admitting that our senses can be utterly fooled and actual y are regularly fooled. I also wil add there are differences although measurable are imperceptible. The human eye can't discern a 1mm out of a 2meter stick regardless of distance .. The ear also has its limit so -100 dB down seems unlikely to be perceived even if the subject(s) were in a room with a background noise of 0 dB and increase the maximum SPL to 110 dB...

Frantz, let me make two points:

1. I don't consider you at the extreme of the other side. More important, you are the only person I have run into who has changed positions in this argument. Your open-mindedness in that regard, is the exception.

2. I am not trying to be diplomatic. I started from the opposite side of where you were, believing in that there was absolutely nothing but absurdness to high-end audio. 30 years though and seeing some evidence to the contrary, has gotten me to not be so convinced of being right all the time of anything in audio.

As for measurements, let's look at why many times we use them. We have an observation and we want to back it with science. So we use an instrument to see if we can measure what we think we heard. When we can't find that measurement, the problem could be that either the measurement is wrong or we didn't hear the difference. It is very difficult to figure out which is the problem.

Then there is the matter of complexity. If I encode something at 128K using MP3, I say a good number of people here can tell the difference between that and the original. Now tell me the last time you heard someone using an Audio Precision to measure that difference. You won't find much, certainly not in scientific circles where compression systems are designed. The main and only tool is listening tests. No measurement whatsoever.

Lossy compression is an example of a complex system with variable distortion. So running a tone through it does nothing (indeed, they are perfect in that matter). Distortion measurements are also useless as the system on purpose creates distortion (that is how it reduces the data rate). And at any rate, highly content dependent.

So if measurements always do the job, why don't they in case of MP3? MP3 is a distribution system just the same.

And yes, you can hear -100db tone if the music level is -50db. Boost that to 0db, and the noise is only 50db down. Cassette tapes had 70db signal to noise ratio and we all heard the tape hiss from them.

Interesting stuff, but I was disappointed Amir that you did not reply to Roger's post (115) in the Sander's System thread in the loudspeaker section. He seemed to challenge you that indeed the "anecdotal" listening tests of his were more rigorous than yours at Microsoft (I believe). I was enjoying the exchange between you two and then it stopped.

And I would add that something thats inaudible is measureable too. For example, a tone that is 100db down from a loud or soft listening level can be seen on a spectrum analyzer no problem but no one is going to hear it!

Folks demand that measurements be shown or else the difference can't be audible. When you show that, then folks run away by saying well, it must not audible. How do they know that definitively across large population of audiophiles? Have they performed large scale double-blind tests of them to know what they do or don't hear in all circumstances?

I don't know of DBT results proving at what level artifacts are no longer audible. The main reason is probably because the level varies enormously depending on the nature of signal and the artifacts. But I've done a lot of such testing myself, with me and friends present, so I feel confident saying that once artifacts are 80 dB softer than the main signal, nobody can hear them. And that's a best-case (worst-case?) scenario. Often, artifacts 60 dB down, or even 40 dB down, are inaudible. And even when you can just barely make out an A/B difference, it's nothing like the reports we all see of "greatly improved imaging" or "much better low frequency extension" ad nauseum.

Personally, I have nothing to fear. I'm glad to be shown wrong because then I'll learn something. As happened when Amir showed that HDMI audio often has such extreme levels of jitter that it might possibly be audible. I had no idea HDMI audio could be so bad. I even spent the $6.50 to buy a PDF of that UK magazine article! :D

--Ethan

I'm glad to be shown wrong because then I'll learn something. --Ethan

Great attitude, but geez, I should be a gosh-danged genius by now! :D Must be doing something wrong...

If I encode something at 128K using MP3, I say a good number of people here can tell the difference between that and the original. Now tell me the last time you heard someone using an Audio Precision to measure that difference ... Lossy compression is an example of a complex system with variable distortion. So running a tone through it does nothing (indeed, they are perfect in that matter).

Yes, this has always been a dilemma for me. I generally deal with it by stating specifically that I exclude lossy compression from audio testing discussions. Either that or I just duck it entirely. :D

--Ethan

Personally, I have nothing to fear. I'm glad to be shown wrong because then I'll learn something. As happened when Amir showed that HDMI audio often has such extreme levels of jitter that it might possibly be audible. I had no idea HDMI audio could be so bad. I even spent the $6.50 to buy a PDF of that UK magazine article! :D

--Ethan
I have heard this but I don't know the details. Can someone point to the post that explains or gives details. Is this something endemic in HDMI or can it/is it/will it/ be corrected?

I think amir is spot on.

the absolute doggedness and unwillingness to budge from BOTH sides is the major factor in none of this leading anywhere.

Human nature, it is what it all comes back to, NOT the gear or any difference that may or may not exist.

The usual bludgeon the keyboard objectivist will use on a subjectivist...'do a dbt'...how many of those guys calling for one have taken the time to set up one that will withstand any sort of 'peer review process'?

Very few. IF they did, they will lean an awful lot, not the least being that the simple call do 'do a dbt' is not that simple! But what better way to learn??

Equally, the subjectivist who discounts doing a dbt as 'I trust my ears'..well how could you better trust your ears? Do a dbt, if only to find out some sort of new reality you have not experienced before?

Two people fighting tooth and nail on a forum...the bridges mended and new understanding reached in so many areas if they did something like this at a 'meet' of some sort. Priceless.

But, sadly, that requires a willingness to learn, an ability to put aside their egos.

And if there is one thing we know an audiophile possesses, it's an ego right?

It's 'always the other side' that is unwilling to have their ideas challenged, that is wrong, ignorant and wilfully blind.

It's never 'us' is it.

Spot on post amir.

Terry,

I recommend you read through what transpired in this thread, as far as ego-less learning:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...tup-how-do-you-do-it-what-is-important-to-you

Although things don't always happen as quickly as we'd like, I believe this forum is a catalyst in breaking down these "us vs. them" barriers. You can measure your system AND enjoy it too!

Lee

think I read that one lee:eek:

that's the whole point Id'a thought, to learn.:confused: But many..on both sides...would rather defend a position to the death than ever have to admit they might have had something a little wrong (note all the qualifiers??!! Still will be argued tho)

I once had similar naive visions on another forum. (this was unique back then in that they had LOT'S of gtg's, almost everyone knew all the others. It's grown now and that has been lost, it's now as anonymous as any other forum)

I stupidly thought most were like me, wanted to KNOW. So I had visions of us all getting together and investigating this type of stuff, to find out rather than read entrenched positions.

Nah, silly me.

This thread has continued for 71 pages. The discourse has been informative and polite. I am learning from this, as I'm not an engineer, nor do I own an "ultimate" system. The participation of all involved is a feather in the WBF cap. I hope others find this approach to be as refreshing as I do.

Lee

Interesting stuff, but I was disappointed Amir that you did not reply to Roger's post (115) in the Sander's System thread in the loudspeaker section. He seemed to challenge you that indeed the "anecdotal" listening tests of his were more rigorous than yours at Microsoft (I believe). I was enjoying the exchange between you two and then it stopped.
Well, I didn't stop :). He asked for a tutorial on MP3 which I have been working on. Once I have that, we can certainly continue that discussion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu