Xenforo Update Completed-The Thread To Report Bugs

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This may sound like a trivial and perhaps silly request, but it is something that has always bothered me with the new forum.

If you want to edit your post, you only have 5 minutes time to do so, before editing shows up as remark "last edited [at such and such time]", something that is worthwhile to avoid. On the previous forum that time was 10 minutes, and it made all the difference. There the "last edited" remark rarely showed up in my posts because all my editing was done within the 10 minute time window. Now the remark often shows up since I commonly feel the need to still edit between 5 and 10 minutes after initial posting.

Of course you could say, think more about the final wording of your post, before you hit post. But it doesn't work that way. I don't seem to be the only person who has that problem: I see many posts by others that are edited between 5 and 10 minutes after initial posting, as the remark "last edited" indicates. So this appears to be a common issue, not just for me.

A 5 minute editing window, without having the "last edited" remark show up, is stress, a 10 minute window like on the old forum is easy going. Can we please revert to a 10 minute window?

Thanks
Al
I agree with you and thanks for pointing that out. I will get that changed

Steve Williams

This may sound like a trivial and perhaps silly request, but it is something that has always bothered me with the new forum.

If you want to edit your post, you only have 5 minutes time to do so, before editing shows up as remark "last edited [at such and such time]", something that is worthwhile to avoid. On the previous forum that time was 10 minutes, and it made all the difference. There the "last edited" remark rarely showed up in my posts because all my editing was done within the 10 minute time window. Now the remark often shows up since I commonly feel the need to still edit between 5 and 10 minutes after initial posting.

Of course you could say, think more about the final wording of your post, before you hit post. But it doesn't work that way. I don't seem to be the only person who has that problem: I see many posts by others that are edited between 5 and 10 minutes after initial posting, as the remark "last edited" indicates. So this appears to be a common issue, not just for me.

A 5 minute editing window, without having the "last edited" remark show up, is stress, a 10 minute window like on the old forum is easy going. Can we please revert to a 10 minute window?

Thanks
Al
Al, I have looked into this and find that all members have the ability to modify their posts for 72 hours

Not sure why you are getting that message

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al, I have looked into this and find that all members have the ability to modify their posts for 72 hours

Not sure why you are getting that message

Steve, yes I know that you can edit for 72 hours, but I would like to avoid the edit message at the bottom of the post, "Last edited: ...."

For example yesterday I made this post at 9:54 PM (my time),

Post on speaker cabinet resonances

and at the bottom it says: "Last edited: Yesterday at 10:00 PM" (my time, on other screens it will say another time according to their time zone).

That is just 6 minutes after posting. I edited last at that time because I discovered that I needed to clarify a sentence with a comma. If I would have edited within 5 minutes (i.e. had I been one minute faster), no note "Last edited" would have shown up at all at the bottom of the post.

I would like to avoid such notices at the end of the post. On the old WBF forum you had 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes time to edit before there was a message "Last edited" at the bottom of the post. I would like to have that here too, thanks.

Reactions: tima

Steve Williams

Steve, yes I know that you can edit for 72 hours, but I would like to avoid the edit message at the bottom of the post, "Last edited: ...."

For example yesterday I made this post at 9:54 PM (my time),

Post on speaker cabinet resonances

and at the bottom it says: "Last edited: Yesterday at 10:00 PM" (my time, on other screens it will say another time according to their time zone).

That is just 6 minutes after posting. I edited last at that time because I discovered that I needed to clarify a sentence with a comma. If I would have edited within 5 minutes (i.e. had I been one minute faster), no note "Last edited" would have shown up at all at the bottom of the post.

I would like to avoid such notices at the end of the post. On the old WBF forum you had 10 minutes instead of 5 minutes time to edit before there was a message "Last edited" at the bottom of the post. I would like to have that here too, thanks.
Al

Nothing has changed in Xenforo. In fact when you edit you have the option of clicking the box that says "edit silently" before you click "save"

Can you verify that you have this issue when you click the button "edit silently" and then click "save"

Finally once an edit is done to a post you will then see a "story " button under the pst. If you click "history" you can see all of the before and afters of a post

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al

Nothing has changed in Xenforo. In fact when you edit you have the option of clicking the box that says "edit silently" before you click "save"

Can you verify that you have this issue when you click the button "edit silently" and then click "save"

Finally once an edit is done to a post you will then see a "story " button under the pst. If you click "history" you can see all of the before and afters of a post

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, I see neither a button "edit silently" nor a "story" button. I was looking if there were settings in my personal Profile/Preferences that could change that, but I didn't see any. So how do I see these buttons?

Thanks
Al

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I don't see an 'Edit silently' button with using an iPad

Steve Williams

Thanks, Steve. Unfortunately, I see neither a button "edit silently" nor a "story" button. I was looking if there were settings in my personal Profile/Preferences that could change that, but I didn't see any. So how do I see these buttons?

Thanks
Al
I don't see an 'Edit silently' button with using an iPad
Good question. I’ll look into it

Reactions: Al M.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
so has any had trouble trying to post videos from Bling?

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hello.. local search engine does not work.. I am using Chrome in Desktop PC..
thanks

Steve Williams

hello.. local search engine does not work.. I am using Chrome in Desktop PC..
thanks
I noticed that myself yesterday and submitted a ticket. It was fixed and working now

Reactions: Manos_Bits

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing