Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Now I have ML3 on the Daiza and directly on the floor. Noticable differences I am attracted to are:

1) Improved clarity over CMS.
2) My sound used to have tonality skewed upward. Bonzo used to tell me my cello sound less like a cello. Now not on CMS tonality becomes balanced. The cello is cello. Sax is sax.
3) Ambient of the recording venue is more evident.

I never had amps not on CMS and never thought some aspects of my sound were diminished in some degree. I cannot say the Daiza is totally responsible for the improvement because I never put amps on bare floor. I will try putting the amps directly on floor without any platform like Micro said. Then will know.

So differences with each trial - that's to be expected. Not surprising that low mids, upper bass change with Daiza. Slightly warmer or richer? No loss of upper frequency energy in violins, percussion? If it were me I would chose then stop changing for several weeks. Then switch to second choice to confirm or otherwise.

I can post video. But "Forum can approve your hearing." Really? What the "forum" perceive of me or my hearing don't mean shit to me.

Just FIY these are the accumulated sound spectra of the initial 3 minutes of each of the two videos you posted before. IMHO no comments are needed, people are comparing apples with oranges. Such differences can't be due just to the Daiza, they are probably due the changes in the recording conditions.

t3.jpg

Just FIY these are the accumulated sound spectra of the initial 3 minutes of each of the two videos you posted before. IMHO no comments are needed, people are comparing apples with oranges. Such differences can't be due just to the Daiza.

Actually, it's a phenomenon I cannot explain, but at the same preamplifier volume setting, with a handheld dB meter, I get +6dB on dynamic peaks (peak hold), C-weighted, averaged out it nets to zero. I have even measured a shocking 126dB peak at 1 meter from my Focals. It's a cheap handheld meter, unlikely to be precisely calibrated, so if that really was 126dB is a big question mark. When I measure the frequency response, I cannot see a difference (calibrated microphone). This is Daiza versus directly on a tiled floor. Another measurable feature is slightly lower power consumption from mounting a transformer on Panzerholz. FWIW!

Last edited:
Just FIY these are the accumulated sound spectra of the initial 3 minutes of each of the two videos you posted before. IMHO no comments are needed, people are comparing apples with oranges. Such differences can't be due just to the Daiza, they are probably due the changes in the recording conditions.

Could you do the part starting at 3 minutes till the end? Its actually where I notice a few more clear differences between the videos apart from tonal balance. Don't bother if it's too time consuming. There's also the part where Tang walks from his rack to the table at the start of the CMS video which is an obvious difference. Maybe some of the peaks are from walking past the speakers, being briefly directly on axis of them.

Additionally, even the different position of the chairs could cause reflections impacting the analysis!

Last edited:
Now I have ML3 on the Daiza and directly on the floor. Noticable differences I am attracted to are:

1) Improved clarity over CMS.
2) My sound used to have tonality skewed upward. Bonzo used to tell me my cello sound less like a cello. Now not on CMS tonality becomes balanced. The cello is cello. Sax is sax.
3) Ambient of the recording venue is more evident.

I never had amps not on CMS and never thought some aspects of my sound were diminished in some degree. I cannot say the Daiza is totally responsible for the improvement because I never put amps on bare floor. I will try putting the amps directly on floor without any platform like Micro said. Then will know.

Tang, an open mind and willingness to experiment are what lead to progress and learning. You exhibit both and are willing to share your results with the rest of us. Thank you.

I'm with Peter and thanks for the comparisons - I think the video debate is pointless as it can't convey 100% what you are hearing.

But yes, I'd certainly start with amps on floor, then on platform, finally on CMS only to isolate all the effects. Good luck!

@Tango if you want to use strings for comparison go with this one, and you've already done half the work.

david

Oh oh! And I have a few copies of that, so that'd be fun for me :cool:

Shouldn't Tang be getting some college credits or something for all the homework he's doing?

Reactions: Lagonda
Not surprising that low mids, upper bass change with Daiza.
Yes. The tonality is now more Equilateral triangle vs. Isosceles triangle with less length at the base of before.

Slightly warmer or richer?
Yes sir. But no smear, blur, thick, foggy.

No loss of upper frequency energy in violins, percussion?

No loss. Percussion also has more snap.

If it were me I would chose then stop changing for several weeks. Then switch to second choice to confirm or otherwise.

Planning to do just that.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: tima and bonzo75
Listening TO the Daiza?...

Bob,
Can you explain us what you mean by people who believe in videos? :)
For me these videos just show that Tang is having a great time listening to the Daiza!

Tango's music videos are awesome. But here we all know that some baby boomers ('OK boomer', Generation Z) don't believe and never will believe in them...that is all. No big deal; each person has the right to make of them whatever they want to. I'm not trying to convince anyone of their true benefits, and no one is trying to convince me of their non-importance when it comes to evaluate a sound system performance and a quality music record. We all know it's not like being there in Tango's room; it's an approximation just like music reproduction is versus live.

Why do you ask me Francisco? This is something we all know already, and the joy we get from Tango's music videos is universal.

Tango's music videos are awesome. But here we all know that some baby boomers ('OK boomer', Generation Z) don't believe and never will believe in them...that is all. No big deal; each person has the right to make of them whatever they want to. I'm not trying to convince anyone of their true benefits, and no one is trying to convince me of their non-importance when it comes to evaluate a sound system performance and a quality music record. We all know it's not like being there in Tango's room; it's an approximation just like music reproduction is versus live.

Why do you ask me Francisco? This is something we all know already, and the joy we get from Tango's music videos is universal.

IMHO we must separate the musical value from the audio value of these videos. You try mixing them in a cake and increasing the entropy of the thread - something I feel that that does not help understanding the CCs or Daiza mode of operation - something I am particularly interested in this moment. Apologies for asking you directly a more general question!

IMHO we must separate the musical value from the audio value of these videos. You try mixing them in a cake and increasing the entropy of the thread - something I feel that that does not help understanding the CCs or Daiza mode of operation - something I am particularly interested in this moment. Apologies for asking you directly a more general question!

I try nothing Francisco...it's all in your own imagination.
You asked a question I gave you an answer, mine.
What we all separate is different from one another.

And like you I am also interested by various tweaks added to the system and their influences.

No apology needed here, we are on the same wavelength.

I am not trying to change anyone's view on using video to get a grasp of what a writer comments on sound. But in my view, a comparative video lets viewer hear the sound themself. They might hear something in the video a bit similar to what he described or might hear very differently or might not hear at all. This is the beauty and benefit of it. It could help creates tangible doubts to what the writer is saying. Of course intelligent people always have doubts reading someone's report anyway. But video does check and balance the report even more. Some writers are excellent excellent at writing, able to make you imagine the sound he described as you hear yourself. But these days we never know if there were motives behind. What if there is a video of his listening session open to tough listeners like Bonzo and ddk. And they can listen to it themself and they could comment otherwise that it is shitty sounding? Would not this be a little better than just flowing with the words the reporter write. Would you people who never tried Daiza in your own system just read and take beautiful words from Bill, MikeL, Emile, Eurodriver, etc.? The video will help getting a glimpse of sound for people interested in the product to see if they would pursue anything further. Video get people into discussion, even controversy and more scrutiny. Bob of Rhapsody said once he had customers contacting him because they heard the sound from his video and found interesting to them. The opposite likely happens too. Since we can not try them all, often audio products are bought by reading reviews, emotion, curiosity and faith. Have a chance to hear is a better shot than not hearing anything at all imo.

Most of my videos are not about a product. They are for showing music that I found interesting on vinyls. I just started to listen to classical music. I never thought there are so many, in fact uncountable, good classical tunes. I really don't know how to describe Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody by writing.

Kind regards,
Tang

I could care less about the platforms, I just like the vids.

Reactions: KeithR and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu