Zero Distortion: Tango Time

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The video thing doesn't seem to get through. You just don't turn on videos on the phone, period.

I had a guy tell me the videos of the best Midbass I heard had no weight. I asked him what he was listening on. He said phone. I told him to listen with earphones. He loved the Midbass after that. He is a regular on videos should have known better than being lazy.

Others who don't listen won't try, and those who use videos have now gotten so over their heads that they have stopped using it as an accompaniment to in room observations and purely use it as the final arbiter.

When I am sent a video and am at work, I wait to get home before I listen to it. Or remember to carry earphones

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
@kodomo bass is the first thing that is going to disappear on these cell phone recordings that then get further compressed by youtube. I fully agree that they can reveal general flavors of a system. I can hear changes in the sound after the changes in room treatment, for example. But I don't agree that they can accurately reveal lower end content or various subtleties like detail, even played through a DAC on your normal speakers. I know there's no way I'm hearing the full extent of the room treatment changes. Even when you start comparing better recording devices like Tascam and Sony PCM recorders, they each have specific deficiencies as well, and you still pick your poison. It's not fair to judge a system's deficiencies on this basis. But it's useful for raising talking points. When I listen to Tang's recordings, and I listen to most of them, I think his system is likely to be one of my favorite sounding systems bar none. But there's no way to know other than to hear it in person some day. I could be wrong. Either way, I certainly hope they continue!

Sounds like you have a great room. Congrats.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

From the insane all the way to the sublime,now we are talking.

Monster sound awesome rendition.

Kindest regards,G.
Thanks for your kind words G. Ddk often tells me "There is so much in the groove." It is really not a cliche when one has really found the kind of transparency needed to appreciate vinyls at its fullest. You are one person that fully understand the extent to what I am saying. Interesting thing is there are many different ways to approach to this. In your case it is the marvelous BD5 driver working together with Thomas Meyer electronics and Vyger tt. In my case the Lamm really show how well they matched up with TAD drivers feeding all musical info by the AS2000.

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@kodomo bass is the first thing that is going to disappear on these cell phone recordings that then get further compressed by youtube. I fully agree that they can reveal general flavors of a system. I can hear changes in the sound after the changes in room treatment, for example. But I don't agree that they can accurately reveal lower end content or various subtleties like detail, even played through a DAC on your normal speakers. I know there's no way I'm hearing the full extent of the room treatment changes. Even when you start comparing better recording devices like Tascam and Sony PCM recorders, they each have specific deficiencies as well, and you still pick your poison. It's not fair to judge a system's deficiencies on this basis. But it's useful for raising talking points. When I listen to Tang's recordings, and I listen to most of them, I think his system is likely to be one of my favorite sounding systems bar none. But there's no way to know other than to hear it in person some day. I could be wrong. Either way, I certainly hope they continue!

Sounds like you have a great room. Congrats.
Many things you said of video limitations tell me you play with video recorder quite a bit and know how to use it beneficially. Thanks for liking my system. There are many amazing sounding systems out there. I will keep improving my system to be one of your favorites. :)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Many things you said of video limitations tell me you play with video recorder quite a bit and know how to use it beneficially. Thanks for liking my system. There are many amazing sounding systems out there. I will keep improving my system to be one of your favorites. :)

I've tried a few casually only. I think I like the Sony the best, but it makes my system sound warmer than it is in person. I don't tend to like how my system sounds in recordings. Somehow the room's inadequacies seem to get amplified and highlighted in recordings in a way that I don't hear in person. I think this mainly a result of recording level. In any event, Tang, yes I am a big fan of your system's sound. I've used some of your recordings to tune my system. What your system does that mine will probably never achieve is superb reverb and decays. Mine are good, but even in YouTube videos, I can hear yours are next-level great when I run the same pressing of a particular record you've recorded. And I feel these attributes are hallmarks of a system's resolution capability (or lack thereof).

Last edited:

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I agree and that was what I was trying to point out as well. The decays of the instruments, the way the the hall character is reflected in them, the small spatial cues are even heard on a youtube video shot with a phone mic! In person it must be a great. That is why I sincerely hope/wish for Tang to have this continue down to lower two octaves for a complete mind melt of an experience :)

When I put on the VdH MS, the treble was over exaggerated and measurably rising in spl. However, in Tang's videos, there does not seems to be that kind of a problem, and that means his system has great synergy from the tip of the needle to his speakers. I could not have that with the VdH on a 4-point but have a similar synergy with a different sound with Kuzma's own cartridges as well as the Miyajima. When I get an 3012r, I will try to recreate this kind of sound too as it works great with classical music. If the system is working with good synergy from preamp->amp->speaker>room, than changing sources becomes really enjoyable and rewarding. You can have different types of but all very good sound. However with analog, it means a cartridge, a matching arm and definitely a matching pre or a pre like Tangs with multiple inputs adjusted for its relevant cartridges. I love his different sources and the way it all is laid out and connected together, my favorite system that I have not actually listened :)

Reactions: bonzo75

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: andromedaaudio
Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Isn´t it a digital recording?
Recorded live @ Blues Alley Washington DC 30. July to 01. August 1993
sounds spectacular regardless of format

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I was looking at my Blood Pumping Classical thread yesterday and thought nobody mentioned Brahms. Every time I played Brahms Violin Concerto I got goose bump and blood pumping at a particular crescendo before the solo violin kick in...every single time although I could anticipate the move. The Brahms violin triggered me to search what else is great for Brahms.

I found his Piano Concerto also great. The Orchestra is as much of a high light as the piano. I bought several Piano Concerto 1 and 2. Today I show Concerto 2 with piano played by Backhaus, Vienna Philharmonic conducted by Karl Bohm. It is a good recording from Decca. A little warm and not etchy. Would be even better if hign is more extended. SXL 6322. I like the Decca sound more than other label but has to be old ones. I think Decca sound very very natural and you hear orchestra better than most label some how.

One of the reasons I post a music piece is that I hope for some friends to recommend me a different piece so that I have a new target to search to. Please feel free to suggest if you have some thing in mind. I love to explore.

63DD2DAD-E02F-4D45-81B6-71352E1840C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have a bunch of stuff I need to clean!

But I've listened to that odd ball Scheherazade several times lately. It's one of the most live like performances I have. But that doesn't mean it is the most appealing in all ways, it just actually is like being at symphony. I ordered a "better" copy and got a floppy piece of shit... try try again...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is bloody good

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing