Zero Distortion: Tango Time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Tang,
Actually the cartridge is a moving coil with built-in transformer so you can play it directly through the mm input, you can’t add or need another SUT in line with it. It’s strange that there’s not enough gain with your EMT phono the cartridge has plenty of gain. You should contact EMT and see why that is.

You’ll soon lose your vintage virginity with a bang ;)!

david

Dear tang, please learn to differentiate sex before mounting. MM, MC

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I want to point out that while vintage gear does need servicing if it hasn't been, a lot of it will then proceed to last another silly amount of years. But let's say it does need service, if I'm not mistaken Lamm does on occasion, too?

The guy has limited space... This feels a bit like Keith's thread, everyone trying to buy the best stereo possible for the owner.

I ask, @Tang, would it really be exciting to try and aim at the same goal as the office system? Sometimes the fun can be more gentle IMO.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I want to point out that while vintage gear does need servicing if it hasn't been, a lot of it will then proceed to last another silly amount of years. But let's say it does need service, if I'm not mistaken Lamm does on occasion, too?

The guy has limited space... This feels a bit like Keith's thread, everyone trying to buy the best stereo possible for the owner.

I ask, @Tang, would it really be exciting to try and aim at the same goal as the office system? Sometimes the fun can be more gentle IMO.

The difference is that Lamm and other existing manufacturers have service centers with current parts, it's not the case with vintage electronics and the one's that have been serviced many IME don't sound right. In any case if you know of a quality vintage SET amplifier along with a low noise pre & phono, all properly restored in 240v let us know :). It doesn't make a difference to me what Tang ends up using but finding such an animal isn't easy and he needs to know what he's getting into with vintage electronics or anything vintage for that matter. I didn't recommend the speakers blindly, I know this pair well since I sold it to the original owner 16 years ago and am fully aware of their current condition, and just in case I have every spare part he might need for them.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Does this have the S2 driver in it?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The difference is that Lamm and other existing manufacturers have service centers with current parts, it's not the case with vintage electronics and the one's that have been serviced many IME don't sound right. In any case if you know of a quality vintage SET amplifier along with a low noise pre & phono, all properly restored in 240v let us know :). It doesn't make a difference to me what Tang ends up using but finding such an animal isn't easy and he needs to know what he's getting into with vintage electronics or anything vintage for that matter. I didn't recommend the speakers blindly, I know this pair well since I sold it to the original owner 16 years ago and am fully aware of their current condition, and just in case I have every spare part he might need for them.

david

I believe you and many thousands of people that the speakers are very good. But for me the looks are not good. If I had a very wood den, dark, manly, I'd jump on them.

It's true that 240v is rare (I think Tang is on 220v?). In fact I would probably use a 240v to 110v transformer for longevity.

Also very correct that you have to make sure the restorer didn't use audiophile garbage in the amplifier. There are guys who restore faithfully, but can do things like bypass a bad part, or insert a resistor for continued stability - that doesn't hurt sound. But I wouldn't be looking for SET specifically. They weren't used in receivers too often. If I was going SET the TM 45 smaller amp would be consideration, or maybe Decware. 30w would be way more power than I'd want, I'd prefer some softer clipping for casual listening stereo than PA system levels. The two receivers I'd consider in this case are Fisher 500-C and Eico HF-81. The Eico takes a few more steps from a restorer, but it is silly transparent. I don't believe most people who have tried it could do it justice with the junk they'd pair it with. I've personally set one up on some fullrange speakers and when you hear trumpet... you know, you know what you need to know.

My criteria is very basic, the stereo must simply make you want to keep putting records on, makes you desire to go put one on when you're doing something you don't care about as much. It isn't for biggest dynamics, for best representation of orchestra, for easy listening it should just make you want to spin some Morini, Sinatra, Bitches Brew, etc because you like them. When I want an experience and not just music, then I want 30w SET, then I want 150lb turntable. When I cook dinner with guests over it's extremely practical to turn on a TV and set it to a music channel compared to 110db raging orchestra - hence why I am doing what Tang may be doing (not making everyone squabble over decisions, or posting about it) to make a secondary system for easy time.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My vintage corner,
very beautiful and very good sound
How many corners you have at home Gian. Seems like your room is hexagon.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks David for the advice to avoid vintage electronics.
Thanks Folsom for reminding kid's safety.
Thanks Gian for introducing museum pieces.
Thanks Ked for ....well....nothing. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, go SERIOUSLY retro and pick up a late 80s Marantz CD12/DA12. You'll really learn to love 16/44.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks David for the advice to avoid vintage electronics.
Thanks Folsom for reminding kid's safety.
Thanks Gian for introducing museum pieces.
Thanks Ked for ....well....nothing. :)

Nothing succeeds like success

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I do play my main system all the time. I actually enjoy hearing the best sound I can all the time even if I am not critical listening. My house is mostly open plan, so dining, sitting with friends, listening to music and cooking is in the same space. I enjoy low volumes while cooking or dinner but generally go digital then. We do not own a TV in the house, just a projector for movies or series we follow at night, we generally listen to music and read books. My wife is an academic so she reads a lot and also enjoys me playing music while she is working. If I am too loud she goes to our library/study and enjoys a more moderate volume from there while still enjoying music for a background.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With SETs horns, tannoys, AN-E type speakers, irrespective of whether or likes them or not doing critical and easy both in the same system is easier. With Any speaker that go back to the wall and play easily off axis

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
With SETs horns, tannoys, AN-E type speakers, irrespective of whether or likes them or not doing critical and easy both in the same system is easier. With Any speaker that go back to the wall and play easily off axis

Sounds like weak crest factor

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is Brahms Piano Concerto1 by Curzon/Szell/LSO. This is a good recording from Decca SXL 6023. Performance wise I think the excellent orchestra work by Szell was not matched by the piano played by Curzon. If you could find a good vinyl or digital file of this piece but played by Leon Fleisher/Szell/Cleveland Orchestra, the piano is much better...more soul. Especially on Rondo, that you will hear a drastic difference of piano between Curzon and Fleisher. I am no music critic but that is how the two different piano works moved me. I post this Curzon because it is the better recording. To me a better recording will reveal superior recording venue, a see through hearing deep into the hall even into the piano housing into the bowl of tympani with piercing brass work reaching listener from different places, etc.

4BFC07E9-0985-4DBE-9333-2DBEEC3666B2.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Bach on violin. Bach on cello. Bach on Piano, harpsichord. Here is Bach on Orchestra, Fantasia and Fugue in C Minor. A phenomenal work transcribed by Edward Elgar. This music plays BIG, majestic, heroic. Great sound. I cannot imagine how great it will play in a system with huge subs or twin tower bass. The orchestra was London Philharmonic conducted by Sir.Boult. The General sent me this record long ago but I did not record it before because admittedly my room and speaker setup were not up for it back then. I find that to have a sound like you were there at the orchestra venue you need a proper room acoustic. This pressing is a Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab MFSL 2-501. The vinyl is quiet and toward a modern way of recording. You wont hear the hall as much as Decca old recording. The tonal balance is also different. Still a great very very enjoyable listening.

4C4372F1-6196-4D51-B2D5-25CC62B5274E.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing