Zero Distortion: Tango Time

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
They’re basically the same amplifier and aside from a few nuances they sound equally good too.
david
Thanks David. I did a search on Hifi Shark and the 2.1 seems much more available compared to the the 2.0

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The ML3 should be great for any higher efficiency speakers. It reproduces the sound of acoustic instruments superbly with exceptional differentiation. There is this different tonal dimension and contrast of instrument with clear air(air air air air air air...just to bug Folsom.) around that make what you listen to less homogeneous. (...)

Thanks for the helpful words, but unfortunately the main reason I am presented for the lack of interest in the Lamm ML3 is that very few known or easily available speakers are compatible with the ML3. I had hope that Avantgarde speakers, well known in Europe and reasonably priced in our market could be a good match - the Trios looked ideal - but no one seems to really like such combination.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks for the helpful words, but unfortunately the main reason I am presented for the lack of interest in the Lamm ML3 is that very few known or easily available speakers are compatible with the ML3. I had hope that Avantgarde speakers, well known in Europe and reasonably priced in our market could be a good match - the Trios looked ideal - but no one seems to really like such combination.

It will be very good if you like trios. Ron and I, at the AG factory, compared the AG amps, and two integrated 9 watt 300b amps. The audionote couldn't drive it, sounded wimpy, but the airtight could. The lamm has good drive so should work.

Now if you don't like the trios, you won't like it, but that will be on what you think of the speaker, not amp speaker combination.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Some of the Kharmas are a great match and Wilson Grand Slamm which should available at reasonable prices too. Of course it without saying that high end vintage horns are also a great match for the ML3. I know from experience that ML2 & ML3 are a poor match to the Duos, Trios or any other half active speaker.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Some of the Kharmas are a great match and Wilson Grand Slamm which should available at reasonable prices too. Of course it without saying that high end vintage horns are also a great match for the ML3. I know from experience that ML2 & ML3 are a poor match to the Duos, Trios or any other half active speaker.

david

But you are saying this on sonics, because you don't like the trios. It is not that they cannot drive it

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
But you are saying this on sonics, because you don't like the trios. It is not that they cannot drive it

Poor match is a poor match whatever the reason. I've heard the Trios sound fine with a different amplifier I just don't find this combination symbiotic or soulful.

david

Reactions: Lagonda

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interestingly, the only time I heard the ML2 was with Avantguarde Duos. I was very impressed.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Interestingly, the only time I heard the ML2 was with Avantguarde Duos. I was very impressed.
You would have been more impressed hearing the ML2s with the right speakers and maybe even bought them :)!
david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

A good friend has the Grand Slamm and I have listened to them several times elsewhere. A too big back step for me from either the Soundlab's or the XLF's. I looked at the specifications of the Karma's and do not feel attracted by their electrical match with the ML3, particularly with digital.
In the end , it seems that the real match with the ML3 are vintage speakers ... :(

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It will be very good if you like trios. Ron and I, at the AG factory, compared the AG amps, and two integrated 9 watt 300b amps. The audionote couldn't drive it, sounded wimpy, but the airtight could. The lamm has good drive so should work.

Now if you don't like the trios, you won't like it, but that will be on what you think of the speaker, not amp speaker combination.

The Trio's need a room wider than mine - and the best I listened to them was with solid state. I am not addressing my preference, just general word-of- mouth. Although the classified expired I am still trying to sell the ML3's - I will probably raise the price when I re-list them, perhaps people were finding them too cheap!

Reactions: Lagonda

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
You would have been more impressed hearing the ML2s with the right speakers and maybe even bought them :)!
david
I’m interested... what are some magical Lamm + ML combos, in your experience?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In the end , it seems that the real match with the ML3 are vintage speakers ... :(

Yes, they are sounding terrible on Cessaro gammas :)

Reactions: cjfrbw and Lagonda

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

i considered the ML3's to be a perfect match with my MM7's. really crazy good. lack of an LL1 was never an issue for me.

only that in the context of my large room and in the context of what my dart mono's could do on large scale music i preferred the darts. i would have chosen it over the big VAC Statement 450's......even in my room and expectations. i still miss the ML3's, they are pure magic (i don't miss the 4 big-heavy chassis).

10 other people might have all decided differently. no reason at all the ML3's would not be a superior choice on any kindly impedance, highly efficient modern cone speaker. it would come down to musical priorities.

SET's are not everyone's answer. it's not the ML3's in particular.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have made several .

First luciano pavarotti , iirc ked liked opera .

Open reel records Enrico dindo / vivaldi

Do you sit two meters away from your speakers Andro? The sound of your speakers and room is very immersive and seems not changed much moving around. It would be your sin if you don't tell me privately where you sourced these tapes. :)

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
A good friend has the Grand Slamm and I have listened to them several times elsewhere. A too big back step for me from either the Soundlab's or the XLF's. I looked at the specifications of the Karma's and do not feel attracted by their electrical match with the ML3, particularly with digital.
High end vintage is best but I know that some people prefer a modern speaker and Kharma Midi Exquisites pair exceptionally well with the ML3's, I have this setup in a close friend's home and it's superb.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I’m interested... what are some magical Lamm + ML combos, in your experience?

Same as I suggested above for Francisco, a few of the Kharma, Wilson Grand Slamm, Watt Puppy 7, then many vintage speakers, it comes down to your budget and tastes.

david

Reactions: advanced101

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Same as I suggested above for Francisco, a few of the Kharma, Wilson Grand Slamm, Watt Puppy 7, then many vintage speakers, it comes down to your budget and tastes.

david

The only Wilsons are the (now very old) Grand Slamm? I remember hearing these back in 1993 I think...

One day I would love to get ML2.0's and find some speaker that would work with them... but it wouldn't be the Wilsons lol.

Reactions: advanced101

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I love this thread. Thanks everyone.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The only Wilsons are the (now very old) Grand Slamm? I remember hearing these back in 1993 I think...

One day I would love to get ML2.0's and find some speaker that would work with them... but it wouldn't be the Wilsons lol.
Watt Puppy 7 was borderline acceptable but absolutely phenomenal with Grand Slamm. I've heard the ML2 on Maxx, Maxx2, Maxx3 and Alexadria and IMO it doesn't cut it.

david

Reactions: MadFloyd

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing