Zero Distortion: Tango Time

You are also a fool to move this out when it has started sounding so good with the last few videos from Arpegionne, this, the tape, etc.
Common man. Think Captain Kurk. Exploration. Be somewhere we haven't been before. :D This is whatwe in for Ked. Beside it is not like I lost the Cessaro sound. I am not selling. The Eurodyn is going to be just great.

I came to a similar realization when I started hearing how good SET topology COULD sound and then wondered if there was any research behind what I was hearing. I started looking at psychoacoustic research and what was being learned about distortion and it's perception. First was the realization that there is essentially NO correlation between THD and IMD and sound quality. This was explored by Geddes and Lee in a couple of sound perception papers. They also came up with a rather complex metric for making predictions about what was most acceptable to listeners. They didn't conclude that SET was the best extant technology but the forms of distortion that were least offensive are best served by that technology. Cheever came up with a similar conclusion and also proposed a metric that was based on our understanding of human hearing, self-harmonics and masking, that is dependent on SPL as well as distortion content (the SPL determines which harmonics are masked and which patterns are "tolerated"). Again, SET makes the patterns and follows the psychoacoustic "rules" better than other topologies if the right power/distortion/SPL behavior is followed (I.e. use a sensitive speaker for the given SPL so the amp is not too stressed and therefore making the wrong distortion components).

Lamm must have come up with something similar and thus the ML2 was born. I think the hybrids and the PP tube amp were considered reasonable compromises and still sounded better than most other amps into the kind of speakers for which they were designed. Then the ML3. So, the two marquee amps are SET and for good reason.

Paraphrasing from one of my reviews: From his research Vladimir Lamm developed a set of theoretical ideals against which he evaluates any amplifier. He calls these constructs the Absolute Linearity of a System -- a sort of unified field theory of amplification design that explains how an electronic should measure if it is to reproduce sound in accord with the way people naturally perceive it. The basic high-level idea as I understand it is this: as gain is applied the amplifier should preserve the harmonic structure and spectral balance of the musical source signal. Lamm’s evaluation criteria also places specific emphasis on the types and values of feedback utilized in an amplifier.

I won't pretend to grasp the technical details but, as I understand it, the findings from Lamm's research are applied to all his electronics, not just the ML2 and ML3. I'm not in a position to gauge if what you describe is similar to his work, but it could be. What does appear in common is that various theoretical accounts - which may or may not be saying the same thing - seem to correlate with end-user judgements of sonic satisfaction with products derived from them. It's all good!

Reactions: Petrat and morricab
PeterA should like this album very much I think.

Thanks Tang. Just ordered a copy. Great music sounding excellent on your video. My mother is German, so I will understand some of this without the notes. You have much to be thankful for if Bonzo introduced you to classical, even Lieder, LOL. My three Colibris each sound slightly different. I'll find the right one for this LP. Much appreciated.

@bonzo75

The last two videos you posted produce this message from where I am (US):

"This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

@PeterA - do you see them?

Download Nordvpn or turn on your Norton Ani virus VPN, which will make the IP address seem as if from another country.

Download Nordvpn or turn on your Norton Ani virus VPN, which will make the IP address seem as if from another country.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd probably choose Express VPN which supports split tunneling, but I have enough software to support as it is. Maybe you could say what the videos are.

Reactions: bonzo75
Thanks for the suggestion. I'd probably choose Express VPN which supports split tunneling, but I have enough software to support as it is. Maybe you could say what the videos are.

They are the same track as Tango's played on a Neumann DST and EMT TSD 15 (modded by vdh), both played back on the same Altec A7. I had posted these on the male vocals thread earlier.

Express is fine too, any VPN

No. My suggestion is not to make postees go searching when you have the information right in front of you.

Schubert Schwanengesang. ALP 1827 - that is helpful.

My video has to be be heard back to back with Tang's as that is the context.

Some time I wonder how I got to where I am in audio and musical taste. I have to admit if it weren't for Bonzo I would not be enjoying classical music and my system as a whole as I am now. Classical music is what I listen to most on vinyls. I even listen to Lieder now...unbelievable because I don't understand a word he sings :D. I have to read the translation insert that comes with the album to get a clue. Do you guys know what he is singing in Strandchen? I read the translation. If I and Opa Lagonda were to interpret the meaning, we would say the guy is singing I am horny.

Here is a really good lieder album with excellent sound. Schubert Lieder Recital No.4, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. HMV ALP1827 in mono. I bought from Discog and was at approachable price. I think this album can sound good in any system but to get an emotional involvement to really 'watch' how he sings you will need something special in your system. (Separate men from boys as MikeL liketo say) For me the Master Sig 5R does it. The Opus and the Gran Cru don't do it. ( No supremacy. Many lps I like Gran Cru and Opus more than 5R. This is why need a few carts in the system) I didn't play with my MS Mono Replay cart because it wasn't on any arm. Videos cannot show. It has to be in room listening. Actually, I think I could do better if I use the Neumann DST. I don't think I have heard a better more realistic vocal tone with such compelling emotion from other carts. I could say this because when I auditioned the DST that system also had a vdh master sig to compared. If I go audition systems I would take this album with me because I know what I would look for with that last bit when listening. PeterA should like this album very much I think.

View attachment 86438

View attachment 86439
Schubert revisits the themes of death and the maiden several times during his brief life and this is the final reference contained within his Swan Song.

The idea of the relationship between death and the virgin is an archetypal romantic reference and can also explore the story of the abduction of Demeter’s daughter Kore by Hades. The maiden is abducted (death always comes to us invisibly) and through letting go of the phase of maidenhood she then becomes Persephone queen of the underworld and equal partner of Hades. Out of this story the earth was cast into seasons and is also the greater story of earth and the fertility of life and death and the union of the feminine and masculine, the soul and the spirit.

Being snatched by death and by love and sex also as the little death that brings an end of one phase and the beginning of another in life cycle… of maidenhood giving way to become queen and giving up a sacred part of herself to become fruitful, free and whole… or perhaps even letting go of life and embracing death.

Given the story of Schubert’s life and the way that sex and death are completely intertwined in his life and woven into his death this is an extraordinary rich area of his music.

The fourteen songs in his Swan Song were among Schubert’s final pieces and they weren’t published till after his death. It would be hard to know fully but there seems more resolve in this music than in his earlier references to death in his Death and the Maiden quartet a few years earlier.

Perhaps it’s as much here about beginnings as it is about endings. His lyricism is extraordinary. That is the beauty and wonder of his songs. But here it is especially soulful and rich and so beautifully conveyed in this performance thanks Tang.

Last edited:
Schubert revisits the themes of death and the maiden several times during his brief life and this is the final reference contained within his Swan Song.

Heavy Leider

• Haha
Reactions: the sound of Tao
Some time I wonder how I got to where I am in audio and musical taste. I have to admit if it weren't for Bonzo I would not be enjoying classical music and my system as a whole as I am now. Classical music is what I listen to most on vinyls. I even listen to Lieder now...unbelievable because I don't understand a word he sings :D. I have to read the translation insert that comes with the album to get a clue. Do you guys know what he is singing in Strandchen? I read the translation. If I and Opa Lagonda were to interpret the meaning, we would say the guy is singing I am horny.

Here is a really good lieder album with excellent sound. Schubert Lieder Recital No.4, Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau. HMV ALP1827 in mono. I bought from Discog and was at approachable price. I think this album can sound good in any system but to get an emotional involvement to really 'watch' how he sings you will need something special in your system. (Separate men from boys as MikeL liketo say) For me the Master Sig 5R does it. The Opus and the Gran Cru don't do it. ( No supremacy. Many lps I like Gran Cru and Opus more than 5R. This is why need a few carts in the system) I didn't play with my MS Mono Replay cart because it wasn't on any arm. Videos cannot show. It has to be in room listening. Actually, I think I could do better if I use the Neumann DST. I don't think I have heard a better more realistic vocal tone with such compelling emotion from other carts. I could say this because when I auditioned the DST that system also had a vdh master sig to compared. If I go audition systems I would take this album with me because I know what I would look for with that last bit when listening. PeterA should like this album very much I think.

View attachment 86438

View attachment 86439
Really great sound Tang! Do I understand correctly that you will swap these for a Eurodyn system? Just needing a different flavor of perfection??

@Tango will you have the large baffle or just the naked eurodyn?

Really great sound Tang! Do I understand correctly that you will swap these for a Eurodyn system? Just needing a different flavor of perfection??
Thank you Brad. Yes, I will put these Cessaro in a storage and the less high extension, better mid band, better bass, even more physical Eurodyn system will go into the room instead. The presentation will be different for sure. But it will have the essence of believability at least no less than what I have with Cessaro. So different flavor? Yes I am in for that. Ddk said I will love it. He knows my type of sound. I trust he will make sure I have the sound no less good than his. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing