Zero Distortion: Tango Time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ked. No, I had not seen/heard that. My iMac with Sennheiser headphones is my new reference rig and Tang's latest videos are my reference recordings. I must emphasize the importance of the performance from the VdH, 3012R, and AS2000, Lamm and horns working in unison, the iPhone/Samsung recording equipment and Tang conducting. Great Stuff!

I yearn for Elgar's Cello Concerto as interpreted by Jacqueline Du Pre. Mistro Tang?

And did you miss this one as well?

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ions-far-east-tango.26052/page-43#post-562454

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zero-distortion-tango-time.26464/page-28#post-563490

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Because my system comparatively sucked back then..hehe :p

Kind regards,
Tang

The driver integration is amazing Tang! It seems from these latest video that the system has jumped a level with the Lamm, or maybe I'm just biased. Can't wait to hear the system with the Lam LP1 phono stage :cool:

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Ked. No, I had not seen/heard that. My iMac with Sennheiser headphones is my new reference rig and Tang's latest videos are my reference recordings. I must emphasize the importance of the performance from the VdH, 3012R, and AS2000, Lamm and horns working in unison, the iPhone/Samsung recording equipment and Tang conducting. Great Stuff!

I yearn for Elgar's Cello Concerto as interpreted by Jacqueline Du Pre. Mistro Tang?

I think you should keep in mind that you heard videos with similar set up but Hilary Hahn on Ayons. So the performances on the Melodiya, Decca, and the analogphonic from the master tape are for me the main culprits with the addition of the Lamms.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
was the 45 from a tape 'safety' master? or was it cut from the same mic feed as the 33rpm on a different lathe?

thanks.

Dear Mike,

I have no idea. Sorry cant be of any help.

Your humors in the past few weeks have left me giggling.

You guys are funny. Golden ears now start listening to youtube now? :D

Btw, my Samsung mobile made all my recordings in mono.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: zerostargeneral

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks, those are excellent too. Tang, Somehow the asymmetry of the Lamm amps bugs me a bit. One of the channels should be flipped. Do you prefer it this way?
Doesnt bother me one bit Peter. David told me that in advance.
Actually It is not only the Lamm and great vinyls from G that take my system to another place. I am now totally tweak-free. :eek:

My Tripoint Empress is up for sales if any grounding fan interest to max out grounding.

Tang

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Doesnt bother me one bit Peter. David told me that in advance.
Actually It is not only the Lamm and great vinyls from G that take my system to another place. I am now totally tweak-free. :eek:

My Tripoint Empress is up for sales if any grounding fan interest to max out grounding.

Tang

Wow Tang. So your system sound better without Tripoint? What about cables - are you using cheapos or audiophile ones?

Reactions: jeff1225

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Here is a mono Kogan album, Russian label, come in two vinyls one on Brahms and the other on Lalo. I like Kondrashin for conductor. Imo, it is a good buy. Live recording in 1959 gives special feeling. I have quite a few albums from this Russian Melodiya. Many of them are quite good. This particular album has more surface noise than audiophile vinyl though. The coughing and some weird noises are from the recording.

View attachment 49560

Tang :)

Captivating sound. That LP sounds great !

Reactions: bonzo75

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Here is a mono Kogan album, Russian label, come in two vinyls one on Brahms and the other on Lalo. I like Kondrashin for conductor. Imo, it is a good buy. Live recording in 1959 gives special feeling. I have quite a few albums from this Russian Melodiya. Many of them are quite good. This particular album has more surface noise than audiophile vinyl though. The coughing and some weird noises are from the recording.

View attachment 49560

Tang,

do you have the complete Kogan collection on this Russian Label ? The entire set is 22 LP's. I'm trying to figure out of it's worth getting the whole set...ie..Do the recordings all sound very good for the time period ???

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang,

do you have the complete Kogan collection on this Russian Label ? The entire set is 22 LP's. I'm trying to figure out of it's worth getting the whole set...ie..Do the recordings all sound very good for the time period ???

They are done during different years by different engineers with different equipment. So no consistency.

Reactions: rockitman

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang,

No I dont. I only bought the pieces I like. I have 4 or 5 ...don't remember. They are good to excellent Christian.

Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Wow Tang. So your system sound better without Tripoint? What about cables - are you using cheapos or audiophile ones?
All Power cords are Cheng Cheng. All interconnects and speaker cables are Kuro SilverGold.

Tang

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Do you know what edition/album numbers in the set’s are the one’s to get ?
I need to go to my office to look. It is Friday night now.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

The general will know. He has/had the whole set first press, second press, Asian press, etc.

Tang bought the Kogan off his own research, btw. Caterpillar is now a full fledged butterfly. Or whatever

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had an ED2 from eBay that sounded great but was mis-represented condition wise...scratches and I returned it. I have seen ED2 go between $500-$1000 depending on condition. I think sax ed2’s are very close to ED1 sound quality most of the time.

I heard the ERC in their studio. I think it was excellent, top two there for me, the other being the Magda tagliaferro I told you about. They said the master tape was excellent as well, so that explains.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
#5 for Chaconne, #9 for Lalo and Brahms, #12 for Tchaikovsky, #17 for Khachaturian, #22 for Ravel - Tzigane. Great performance for all these numbers. Sound excellent. Most in mono. But the way they were recorded bears similarity. I get bored when listen to them consecutively.

Tang

Actually Midori Goto plays excellent Tzigane but there is nothing on vinyl.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing