Zero Distortion: Tango Time

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you go to office on a Saturday so that you could post this tang?

I think his question was, are the sonics across the LPs consistent?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Did you go to office on a Saturday so that you could post this tang?

I think his question was, are the sonics across the LPs consistent?
I just remember there is a purchase history function in discogs.

They are very good pretty much across the LPs I bought. Some have a little more surface noise than the others. All are mint. I just realize I have 8 different ones and mistakenly bought two Tchaikovsky. I have a slight Alzheimer.

Bests,
Tang

Reactions: Maril555

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This Oistrakh box set just arrived. It has five vinyls inside. The label is in Russian I think it is Melodiya. I have been having a great time with Russian vinyls. They this one included are very transparent. No veil like modern vinyls. You listen to them and feel like you went into the recording venue and use a microphone recorded it yourself. There must be very little sound engineering into these vinyls. The Russians did cough a lot during the play though. I bought this because I just want to hear Oistrakh played with Menuhin on Bach. But the recording was very good, there in that room with them, so I ended up listening to all of them. Old records of this label seem to have higher surface noice than modern vinyls though.

Tang :)

024F46F5-E271-4426-BC05-323D4734F913.jpeg
54A3C97B-4D1D-4606-8A4F-747B7D2246E9.jpeg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This one for the Boston boys. The best work of Mike Valentine imo.

Pardon. I sat on a bag of Mars.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Amazing how music describes feeling in a certain moment better than anything else.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I bought Marta Diyanova playing Rachmaninoff preludes. The plastic wrap mint record came this afternoon but pooh the Thai post broke my record from inside the sleeve. Now I have to buy another one in near mint. Ms.Diyanova's interpretation is very interesting. I am having a blast exploring classical music right now. Where have I been? o_O

E551256E-C060-44E6-B0E4-43251E81F72D.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
I am having a blast exploring classical music right now. Where have I been? o_O

I've been living a similar state for several years now. I have observed an interesting thing - my musical taste evolves together with my system. The more capable and resololving the systems becomes, the more complex music I enjoy. I started with Medieval (esp. Hildegard von Bingen), then Baroque (which I still love and adore), and then orchestral and complex 20th century.

All the best on your journey Tang :)
Cheers,

Reactions: bonzo75 and Tango

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I've been living a similar state for several years now. I have observed an interesting thing - my musical taste evolves together with my system. The more capable and resololving the systems becomes, the more complex music I enjoy. I started with Medieval (esp. Hildegard von Bingen), then Baroque (which I still love and adore), and then orchestral and complex 20th century.

All the best on your journey Tang :)
Cheers,

Tang's system could always resolve complex classical. It was him that was the problem

Reactions: XV-1

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Tang's system could always resolve complex classical. It was him that was the problem

Not sure if there was any problem-perhaps the system was not resolving enough *for him* I’m sure my early system was also good enough for complex music for most people, but not for me. For example I’m always amazed how my musician friends can listen to unbeliveably crappy sound and at insulting levels. They seem to be sensitive to something else....unless they play themselves when they spend whole their musical lives polishing the sound.

Cheers,
Jarek

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have been receiving new records almost every day for the past month. Now I am excited to hear new records but not gears. I also listen a lot Youtube before going to bed. Today I receive a vinyl on Khachaturian violin. This composer can really raise my heartbeat listening. I think he is the master in mixing up different musical instruments. His Sabre Dance has I dont know how many instruments each playing to its own but yet sound as a whole when combined. I bought three vinyls of his work. One on violin by Kogan. Second on cello by Rostropovich. And third a London Symphony orchestra/Stanley Black Masquerade Waltz. All of them are super performance imo. I will post them one by one.

@rockitman You should get this one (#17) too if you havent bought the whole series. Super sound at less than $80.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Not sure if there was any problem-perhaps the system was not resolving enough *for him* I’m sure my early system was also good enough for complex music for most people, but not for me. For example I’m always amazed how my musician friends can listen to unbeliveably crappy sound and at insulting levels. They seem to be sensitive to something else....unless they play themselves when they spend whole their musical lives polishing the sound.

Cheers,
Jarek
Jarek, I regularly treat a professional classical vocalist. She conveys to me she has an idea in her head as to how a vocal should sound. Which obviates poor audio playback/concert hall acoustics.
Ie, an inner measure.
I'm not sure we listen the same way.

Reactions: microstrip

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Not all musicians are equal and vocalists are...hmm...special ;) Did she speak of her own voice or vocals in general? Did she refer to actual performing or listening?
What I observed with my (mostly modern jazz) friends is that there is a sharp distinction in their perception between them playing or others playing live and listening to a recorded sound. With the latter one almost everything goes. They dont seem to be interested in sound but rather in musical material per se (they all compose a lot). With the former, they go into extreme nuances and are very picky. Go figure...

An ad hoc explanation I made up was that misicians need less sonic input data or reference points in order for their brains to reconstruct a convincing sonic image. Me, being a musical anti-talent, need A LOT of reference points :)

Cheers
Jarek

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jarek, her "inner" voice, and her database of other vocalists. She feels, like a method actor, she has to "live" the performance. Thus poor playback and poor acoustics don't phase her. But a bad take from HER, that she hates.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I have been receiving new records almost every day for the past month. Now I am excited to hear new records but not gears. I also listen a lot Youtube before going to bed. Today I receive a vinyl on Khachaturian violin. This composer can really raise my heartbeat listening. I think he is the master in mixing up different musical instruments. His Sabre Dance has I dont know how many instruments each playing to its own but yet sound as a whole when combined. I bought three vinyls of his work. One on violin by Kogan. Second on cello by Rostropovich. And third a London Symphony orchestra/Stanley Black Masquerade Waltz. All of them are super performance imo. I will post them one by one.

@rockitman You should get this one (#17) too if you havent bought the whole series. Super sound at less than $80.

you are in a good place...no need to worry about the equipment choices anymore, just focusing in on great music acquisitions. Classical collecting/listening from the golden era ('56-65') is awesome !

Reactions: KeithR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing