Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Maybe. I don’t find the performance as moving, but it’s nice. But it sounds a bit antiquated.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My classical knowledge is the size of turtle tail.

Tang, do you know the whole world stands on turtles, the turtles are on turtles, and there are turtles all the way down?

Kind of like Mike's isolation, which stands on isolation, and it is isolation all the way down

Btw, legends of the fall was a crappy movie. It had great cast that ended up doing nothing, they Must have spent a lot to star them, like in Heat, so that the audience flocks to watch a movie that is quite poor.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Didn't you learn a great audiophile lesson from Heat?

That line about not allowing yself to get so attached to a component that you're not prepared to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Tang, do you know the whole world stands on turtles, the turtles are on turtles, and there are turtles all the way down?

Kind of like Mike's isolation, which stands on isolation, and it is isolation all the way down

Btw, legends of the fall was a crappy movie. It had great cast that ended up doing nothing, they Must have spent a lot to star them, like in Heat, so that the audience flocks to watch a movie that is quite poor.
Heat is a great inspirational Movie for some, a Bank robber i knew used it to
get pumped before every heist;)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This morning I started out with this record..the Lamms were still cold from the start. But sounded captivating still. It is an excellent recording of Ricci/Clark Pacific Symphony Orchestra, Reference Recording. They did this recording in a school auditorium CA. I am not familiar with the music..but good music good sound just move listener along without knowing. I love several sharp dynamic stabs of the orchestra and the sense of air, the ambient of the auditorium. The sound is less closed miked than Valentine's Vivaldi in Venice making it less hifi imo. System with excellent bass like MikeL should transport the listener to the auditorium even better than mine with this recording. I switched cartridge from MS to Opus1 too to see if my positive view of the recording changed. It didnt. I was enjoying side B of the recording with the Opus1 till the end. This record is now expensive. I saw $100-$200 on discog now.

6BFA1815-6B1D-432E-8B95-659AE4BE19C2.jpeg

Kind regards,
Tang

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Nice Tang. This is the first recording that I ever heard of Samual Barber and the performance is quite a good one. The recording is typical of prof. Johnson and also good and expansive (like the music). The Mennoti is quite nice as well but Samuel Barber was a much more substantial composing figure and you’ll find that Kogan also performed the Barber violin concerto back in the day and there is a good pairing with the Barsukov and Bunin violin concertos. The third movement is considered technically challenging but Kogan sails through it.

While the Barber cello concerto and piano concerto are also very much worth exploring the violin concerto is definitely a more accessible piece to start with. I very much love the piano concerto but it took me a bit longer to get into it. His famed adagio for strings is the lost leader that brings many initially to Barber’s music but it’s the concertos and his symphony that have more lasting substance for me.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Nice Tang. This is the first recording that I ever heard of Samual Barber and the performance is quite a good one. The recording is typical of prof. Johnson and also good and expansive (like the music). The Mennoti is quite nice as well but Samuel Barber was a much more substantial composing figure and you’ll find that Kogan also performed the Barber violin concerto back in the day and there is a good pairing with the Barsukov and Bunin violin concertos. The third movement is considered technically challenging but Kogan sails through it.

While the Barber cello concerto and piano concerto are also very much worth exploring the violin concerto is definitely a more accessible piece to start with. I very much love the piano concerto but it took me a bit longer to get into it. His famed adagio for strings is the lost leader that brings many initially to Barber’s music but it’s the concertos and his symphony that have more lasting substance for me.

Barber has some pretty cool smaller orchestral pieces. Try his School for Scandal, choral pieces A Stopwatch and an Ordnance Map, A Hand of Bridge.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I doubt a visit to Cristian would be a disappointment, and he has AS2000.

I have heard Christian's system twice. Chris is an excellent host and his place is well worth a visit. He just plays music and is not interested in sitting around and making comparisons all day long. His new listening room must be even better.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It was Miami in the nineties. I’ve had brunch with parts of The Rolling Stones and
been to a strip club with Al Di Meola once to;)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
It was Miami in the nineties. I’ve had brunch with parts of The Rolling Stones and
been to a strip club with Al Di Meola once to;)
All I can say is:
OMG :eek:

Reactions: Lagonda

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is a wonderful live performance. Who?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well that story ended too soon...
I was part owner in a commercial recording studio at the time, and my partners
had been playing and producing music many years. All kind of artist would
show up when they where in Miami. Gary was good friends with Bernhard a backup singer for The Stones, and had played keyboard on Bernhard’s
solo project, recorded in a Stones home studio in Ireland, and gotten to know The Stones. They where playing a concert and stayed at a local Hotel, next
day Gary called me and asked me if i wanted to go to brunch, mostly
because he liked riding in my Diablo Roadster :)
The brunch was in Ron Woods suite in Loews Hotel he was sitting in his underwear with family running around him. Watts showed up and we stayed
about an hour, i did not say much as i was star struck o_O
When we left the elevator doors opened and Mick Jagger stepped out with
a bodyguard and said “Hi Gary”, and i got to meet him to.
Al Di Meola came to the studio once, and i remember he liked recording
tracks in the bathroom of his Miami condo, which we visited before
going out, ending at Solid Gold, a Miami strip club.
I did not know who Al was at the time and was therefore unimpressed,
he was just one of the guys :cool:

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have both ED1 and ED2 versions of Decca Schubert Bridge. The ED2 narrow band sounds very good. ED1 WB sounds significantly better and gets over $1,000 USD at auction. Is your copy wide or narrow band ?
I bought another one remastered in Korea just to learn.

15933F3F-EEA6-4EDC-B8EF-65B9382378AF.jpeg
32778554-5AD3-45E1-A267-6020EA4D50AF.jpeg

The sound is actually very good. I cannot really pick out which one I like more between the narrow band I have and the Korean one. Definitely the Korean does it better than the Japanese Super Analog Disc. This Korean remastered has a more close-in presentation like the Japanese. It plays louder than the narrow band British Decca. The good part is while the sound is zoomed more in the resolution and crispness of sound are not lost unlike the Japanese. The tone still stay similar to the British Decca..a little more refreshing in the high actually. The cello and piano are spotlighted more. I could actually hear the texture of cello and the body of cello a bit more too. With a more close up presentation the sense of recording venue dimension is lost by some degrees. The more I listen to various pressings the more I learn how to differentiate quality.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sigh... I do really want that one. It's someone I can love, as far as pieces go.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing