Zero Distortion: Tango Time

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
This one is for my dear friend ddk, "Mr.Natural "

It is among the best Cello records I have. So intimate and natural. Rostropovic just stunned me. The best Vocalise for me. I have it in violin, piano, guitar, even opera. But his Cello really does it for me. Feel so hollow listening to it time after time. So good I get pass the clicks n pops. I wanted to record three minutes but got carried away with music so five instead. If you like this piece on Cello Daniil Shafran also played wonderfully. I don't know what is it with me and cello. Du Pre also gave me red eyes.

View attachment 54617

Tang, got a link for this album? Thanks

Howie

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Thanks Tang, I was buying some records and I have added the ASD 2906 to the lot.

Maybe what I was buying along would interest you too. Have you heard Rubbra? If not maybe you would like it, I recommend Rubbra - Symphonies 6 and 8, Lyrita SRCS 127. Maybe to have an idea, you can start with symphony 6, second movement il canto over youtube.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: zerostargeneral

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Omg yes. These people drive me nuts somestimes.

I have an absolutely mint Clifford Jordan Glass Bead Games. It looks beautiful and has the unplayed "shimmer" of a newly pressed album. The problem is that it plays terribly and distorts when any highs are played. With Jordan being a sax player, it makes the album unlistenable.

$150 record. Total waste.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And I assume your cart etc are just fine. There are rare bad pressings, which adds a bigger gamble. A sonic cleaner can bring some albums back. Sometimes I get a NM that looks perfect but obviously needs a sonic clean, or a few cycles anyways.

But I for instance got two albums in NM recently. One is scratches all the way down to G/F, the other is real wavy. The seller has been a PITA, absolute liar. His DC rating is dropping fast. I have to contend with PayPal over it now. The funny thing is it's not very much $, but I'm very insulted by the lies.

The most common thing is NM price, VG to VG+ quality. The thing is if it has brutal scratch, even smaller, to me that's instant VG or even F if it skips... no matter if it otherwise looks pristine. Sometimes I think you're better off ordering VG+ because you might actually get what you paid for! Although I've had a few VG+ that were, well, not - funny enough some were obviously NM. Sigh...

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I have an absolutely mint Clifford Jordan Glass Bead Games. It looks beautiful and has the unplayed "shimmer" of a newly pressed album. The problem is that it plays terribly and distorts when any highs are played. With Jordan being a sax player, it makes the album unlistenable.

$150 record. Total waste.

Very common, unfortunately. More often than not, it's the result of poorly setup tables/cartridges that obliterated the topmost part of the grooves, where the treble information is.
But it gets worse... On rare records, it's common for people (read, dealers with no scruples) to "polish" it, which removes a layer of the vinyl (and the shallow scratches), in the hopes of making the LP look better. But, of course, that'll also remove the high frequencies...

Reactions: jeff1225

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Sandpaper, either by hand or with a machine.
In Brazil, this was rampant, as most local rarities are impossible to find even in VG+ condition. So folks would just get those beat up records, sand the crap out of them so most of the scratches were either gone or significantly reduced. But after a while, it became easy to tell, as you'd see completely beat up covers with incredibly minty LPs.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Sandpaper, either by hand or with a machine.
In Brazil, this was rampant, as most local rarities are impossible to find even in VG+ condition. So folks would just get those beat up records, sand the crap out of them so most of the scratches were either gone or significantly reduced. But after a while, it became easy to tell, as you'd see completely beat up covers with incredibly minty LPs.

I hope vinyl sanding is a felony in every civilized country.

Reactions: KeithR and Folsom

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
What about using glue on vinyl to remove artifacts and static. Is it effective and not destructive to vinyl?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Glue on vinyl? Wouldn’t that just fill up the grooves?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have seen people use thick latex pour over vinyl. Let it dry and peel it out from vinyl surface supposedly taking dirts and artifacts out from the groove in the process.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have seen people use thick latex pour over vinyl.

I told you to not confuse analog listening with your other thai boy pleasures

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have seen people use thick latex pour over vinyl. Let it dry and peel it out from vinyl surface supposedly taking dirts and artifacts out from the groove in the process.

I am highly skeptical, but I will defer to our General to opine on the propriety of that practice.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What about using glue on vinyl to remove artifacts and static. Is it effective and not destructive to vinyl?

People do a lot of wierd stuff to clean vinyl. I've heard about use of latex and wood glue - sure, maybe, good luck, I would not. There are commercial record cleaning services that will do it all for you. Over the years, I've gone through a variety of techniques and machines: manual washing, Nitty Gritty type machines, Keith Monks type machines using enzymes (messy, time consuming but they work) Ultrasonic hybrids, pure Ultrasonic machines. Nowadays, there are a few automated desktop machines that range from so-so to okay - I believe you have one - an Audio Desk (hybrid) or is it a KLAudio?

Check my WBF thread Tima's DIY RCM for current state of the art - it's largely the same as the commercial services but on a smaller scale, the third article link. If there's something better, I'd love to hear about it.

Reactions: microstrip

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
People do a lot of wierd stuff to clean vinyl. I've heard about use of latex and wood glue - sure, maybe, good luck, I would not. There are commercial record cleaning services that will do it all for you. Over the years, I've gone through a variety of techniques and machines: manual washing, Nitty Gritty type machines, Keith Monks type machines using enzymes (messy, time consuming but they work) Ultrasonic hybrids, pure Ultrasonic machines. Nowadays, there are a few automated desktop machines that range from so-so to okay - I believe you have one - an Audio Desk (hybrid) or is it a KLAudio?

Check my WBF thread Tima's DIY RCM for current state of the art - it's largely the same as the commercial services but on a smaller scale, the third article link. If there's something better, I'd love to hear about it.
My wife also does a lot of weird stuff cleansing and conditioning her face Tima. You are an expert in vinyl cleaning so I thought I ask about the glue. The General probably has his own secret recepe which likely remains secret.

Tang :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing