Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This one is for my dear friend ddk, "Mr.Natural "

It is among the best Cello records I have. So intimate and natural. Rostropovic just stunned me. The best Vocalise for me. I have it in violin, piano, guitar, even opera. But his Cello really does it for me. Feel so hollow listening to it time after time. So good I get pass the clicks n pops. I wanted to record three minutes but got carried away with music so five instead. If you like this piece on Cello Daniil Shafran also played wonderfully. I don't know what is it with me and cello. Du Pre also gave me red eyes.

16FE6B7B-D0D9-4705-A2C0-21BBBD7F473C.jpeg

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
This one is for my dear friend ddk, "Mr.Natural "

It is among the best Cello records I have. So intimate and natural. Rostropovic just stunned me. The best Vocalise for me. I have it in violin, piano, guitar, even opera. But his Cello really does it for me. Feel so hollow listening to it time after time. So good I get pass the clicks n pops. I wanted to record three minutes but got carried away with music so five instead. If you like this piece on Cello Daniil Shafran also played wonderfully. I don't know what is it with me and cello. Du Pre also gave me red eyes.

View attachment 54617

I loved this! Out to get one now.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Tang, you are getting used to this overall sound and especially you like cello without a lower bass section. It will be close to impossible for you to add one and keep liking it, good luck to your speaker designer :)

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, you are getting used to this overall sound and especially you like cello without a lower bass section. It will be close to impossible for you to add one and keep liking it, good luck to your speaker designer :)

Cessaro bass horns sound quite different from other subs. Rostropovic's cello will still be heard as his cello not YoYoMa's.

Tang ;)

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Cessaro bass horns sound quite different from other subs. Rostropovic's cello will still be heard as his cello not YoYoMa's.

Tang ;)

I just meant you are used to this balance :) You had their scoop cabins and and it seems they did not work out for you (I don't know who it can work out for). I have seen they have the large folded horns for fairs now. These were both pa designs originally but with nicer looks. There is nothing wrong with that of course but they did not sound different than the ones they were designed alike. I am sure you have heard these type of bass in parties when you were younger. I just wonder if he is making a special bass solution for you?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The General sent me five Echo De Rompon. They are my gold standard for piano recording. In many ways they sound better than tape. Difficult to describe. It just sounds like the piano is 7 meters away from me in the back of my left speaker. Maybe the sound proportion is so life-size correct that makes the presence so fool you real. Somehow the air of the recording venue and my room fuse really well together. The dynamic swing of piano, the vibration, clarity, sweet tone all contribute. The shortfall is only surface noise...oh and their rarity. The video is on Schumann.

B8FA21D6-EB81-40C1-85A2-3E337DD38764.jpeg

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017

Attachments

• IMG_5760.JPG
    IMG_5760.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 12

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is written in the back of LP Dvorak Cello Concerto, Keilberth Hamburg Philharmonic Orchestra, Ludwig Hoelscher. I thought it is an interesting classical music perspective.

36827D2E-5E5B-4174-A7FF-FE92F067B5CC.jpeg

I posted a video of Dvorak Hoelscher a while back. The recording and performance is superb striking a good balance of what is written above imo.

Today I received my AP45 Dvorak Cello by Starker/Dorati LSO. I don't have original because I don't like Starker too much. I think he is overrated. I have the reissue Mercury in 33. The 45 definitely sounds more exciting than the 33. The attacks and transients are sharper more impactful. Both 33 and 45 absolutely has no room sound or sense of ambient. Especially on 45, there is a complete black back ground. Sound just comes from darkness or space not a room. This does not mean the pressing has low surface noise or low noise floor. The 45 I have is not quiet. At least not as quiet as my other recently acquired AP45's.

Performance and presentation wise I think it is nowhere near Hoelscher. There is an imbalance between the cello and the orchestra. I listen this cello concerto and wonder where is Starker. The orchestra by Dorati just dominates the whole performance. Very exciting by the way. But Starker cello is too downplayed. And the way he played this piece does not reach me at all. So on youtube I only put the section of orchestra on since the cello part before the end sounds rather insignificant any way. This AP45 remaster is excellent in a certain ways. It has its sound signature that would please most listeners except for ddk's and the General's camp ;). For me? I am Switzerland I like them all as long as the performance is great. I just have fun learning and listening what sound more natural and less engineered but totally enjoy identifying how a record company caters their recording to listening preference of today's era. I have three sections of records. One is natural sounding one. Two is more engineered manipulated sounding ones. And three is just crappy ones.

6DA1CD08-26E9-4816-9A08-B75CCF8BDFDA.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: gian60

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Oh, if you only get to listen to that 1000 pound Hoelscher the General has, or any of the other ones which are more expensive.

But yes, that 1k one, I sat enraptured through each note.

None of the reissues I have heard have the concert hall ambience of good originals.

B3CCE51F-2962-4DB7-902E-5DD8501D0C1B.jpeg

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
... For me? I am Switzerland I like them all as long as the performance is great. I just have fun learning and listening what sound more natural and less engineered but totally enjoy identifying how a record company caters their recording to listening preference of today's era. I have three sections of records. One is natural sounding one. Two is more engineered manipulated sounding ones. And three is just crappy ones.

Okay, Tango Switzerland, if you're willing to accept so-so sonics for nice performance, you might like to compare Mr. Starker with Mr. Rostropovich. As the cover shows, Mstislav sits on a little platform above his fellow musicians and he is definitely not burrowed into the orchestra. Btw the Tchaikovsky "Variations on a Rococo Theme" has its own virtues. Big aside from it being DG, I really like how Rostropovich plays this music.

Dvorak Cello Concerto von Karajan Berlin Phil DG 139044 SLPM.jpg

Circa early 1970's
DG 139 044 SLPM

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I didn't care at all about that Starker album. I had the original, it wasn't NM, and it wasn't interesting either...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Okay, Tango Switzerland, if you're willing to accept so-so sonics for nice performance, you might like to compare Mr. Starker with Mr. Rostropovich. As the cover shows, Mstislav sits on a little platform above his fellow musicians and he is definitely not burrowed into the orchestra. Btw the Tchaikovsky "Variations on a Rococo Theme" has its own virtues. Big aside from it being DG, I really like how Rostropovich plays this music.

View attachment 54779

Circa early 1970's
DG 139 044 SLPM

Tango and David won't like Rosty sitting on those wooden platforms because "No tweaks"

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Tango and David won't like Rosty sitting on those wooden platforms because "No tweaks"

It was a Shun Mook platform, Ked. Bill made it specifically for Rostropovich.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Rosty must have known how to turn the platform to the proper angle. ;)

Ahahahaha. He tuned his cello and then checked the dot alignment.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They have it all over at the Barbican too

Attachments

• 4D56055E-F614-49FC-8BE1-EC8B3212EBB4.jpeg
    4D56055E-F614-49FC-8BE1-EC8B3212EBB4.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 10

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing