Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Here is another heart grabbing cello. The Elgar Cello Concerto. I am presenting three different records. Two by DuPre. One by Paul Tortellier. I find the two cellist play best Elgar cello. Rostropovic once said this Elgar piece is for the young passionate cellist to dig deep into this music of first love. He then never played Elgar again on any recording. Interesting thing about classical performance, even with the same musician the level of performance could be heard so differently from different plays. I think this Elgar is best with DuPre/ Barenboim a live recording. They together played it so emotionally and heartedly. Dupre/ Barbirolli sound formal with such majestic crescendo from LSO. The cello is less spotlighted and sinked into the orchestra more than one with Barenboim. Tortelier/B.B.C. Orchestra is only male cellist I found played this piece not so far away from DuPre in term of performance. All three records have a lot of surface noises. Pity. This is the only shortfall of old vinyls. Otherwise I find them the best sounding medium.

6EF0FD9B-CB09-40F6-A0C1-3D058756EB6A.jpeg
F81419C0-0D75-484E-8DDA-5D24B391AFFA.jpeg
2C41E937-665C-45FE-BE59-826DD8B247D2.jpeg

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hi Tang,

Keep looking for the first Du Pre - it isn’t too difficult to get that in NM condition. If you really want very quiet, ERC did one of these I believe.
The 2nd Du Pre might be slightly trickier though but should still be possible.

Do you know the Haydn cello concertos? I like the Rostropovich EMI - not expensive and can be found NM easily.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Tang,

Keep looking for the first Du Pre - it isn’t too difficult to get that in NM condition. If you really want very quiet, ERC did one of these I believe.
The 2nd Du Pre might be slightly trickier though but should still be possible.

Do you know the Haydn cello concertos? I like the Rostropovich EMI - not expensive and can be found NM easily.

He has a press from the general. The ERC is not good at all compared to first or second press of the Barbirolli

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
He has a press from the general. The ERC is not good at all compared to first or second press of the Barbirolli

He should be able to get first press easily enough per my post. The ERC comment was about absent surface noise.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He should be able to get first press easily enough per my post. The ERC comment was about absent surface noise.

I think he might have the first. Until he shows the LP tough to say

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

He hasn’t got a quiet one though. That is the essence of my post.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Here is another heart grabbing cello. The Elgar Cello Concerto. I am presenting three different records. Two by DuPre. One by Paul Tortellier. I find the two cellist play best Elgar cello. Rostropovic once said this Elgar piece is for the young passionate cellist to dig deep into this music of first love. He then never played Elgar again on any recording. Interesting thing about classical performance, even with the same musician the level of performance could be heard so differently from different plays. I think this Elgar is best with DuPre/ Barenboim a live recording. They together played it so emotionally and heartedly. Dupre/ Barbirolli sound formal with such majestic crescendo from LSO. The cello is less spotlighted and sinked into the orchestra more than one with Barenboim. Tortelier/B.B.C. Orchestra is only male cellist I found played this piece not so far away from DuPre in term of performance. All three records have a lot of surface noises. Pity. This is the only shortfall of old vinyls. Otherwise I find them the best sounding medium.

View attachment 54932
View attachment 54933
View attachment 54934

Thanks Tang, I had heard Paul Tortelier’s later recording with Sir Charles Groves which seems cooler than this early recording with Sir Malcolm Sargent... but I liked this earlier performance... maybe you are right and a romantic Elgar Cello Concerto is a young players sport. I have always had a sentimental attraction to The Jaqueline Du Pre Barbirolli pairing as it was among my very first Elgar experiences and it offered a kind of great British grace and the pairing with the Sea Pictures absolutely filled out my completely romantic and youthful experience of Elgar. Then came the Enigma.

Absolute bonus was that when my mother visited Dame Janet’s haunting Sea Pictures was one of the few things that ever brought a complete pause to all conversation :) bless Dane Janet forever wherever her corals lie.

I also at times quite liked Steven Isserlis’s Elgar but I constantly have mostly returned to Jaqueline Du Pre for this beautiful cello music.

Also while I have zero clue in terms of the current vinyl pressing I also very much like Sol Garbetta’s Elgar Concerto which also then aligns fairly well with Rostropovich’s idea of this cello concerto being very much essentially for the young and romantic at heart. Elgar = great uplifting joy

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Yes the General sent me this one. I don't know if it is first press or not. But there is a lot of surface noise on this one as I told you I was not impressed quite a while ago. I did not ask the General for exchange.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes the General sent me this one. I don't know if it is first press or not. But there is a lot of surface noise on this one as I told you I was not impressed quite a while ago. I did not ask the General for exchange.

Then you should.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Send it back.

I also have a Milstein Italian sonatas and a Giaconda de Vito Brahms for you.

That Du pre Elgar was my best condition ED1 I had,I would love to have it here as that amount of noise is minor compared to most others I have encountered.

The natural tone of the ED1 is the best by far,

Du pre minters are uber rare,as most was played on sketchy equipment.

Kindest regards,G.

zerostargeneral

Apr 14, 2018
Her rendition with Barbirolli is breath taking tonal inflection on an amazingly emotional level.

Du Pre never over eggs the rubato.

Kindest regards,G.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Send it back.

That Du pre Elgar was my best condition ED1 I had,I would love to have it here as that amount of noise is minor compared to most others I have encountered.

Kindest regards,G.
I haven't sent it back and I am not going to send it back G.

I am looking forward to the Milstein and de Vito though. Pls send me some more plastic sleeves too :).

Kindest regards,
Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: Folsom

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Tang, I had heard Paul Tortelier’s later recording with Sir Charles Groves which seems cooler than this early recording with Sir Malcolm Sargent... but I liked this earlier performance... maybe you are right and a romantic Elgar Cello Concerto is a young players sport. I have always had a sentimental attraction to The Jaqueline Du Pre Barbirolli pairing as it was among my very first Elgar experiences and it offered a kind of great British grace and the pairing with the Sea Pictures absolutely filled out my completely romantic and youthful experience of Elgar. Then came the Enigma.

Absolute bonus was that when my mother visited Dame Janet’s haunting Sea Pictures was one of the few things that ever brought a complete pause to all conversation :) bless Dane Janet forever wherever her corals lie.

I also at times quite liked Steven Isserlis’s Elgar but I constantly have mostly returned to Jaqueline Du Pre for this beautiful cello music.

Also while I have zero clue in terms of the current vinyl pressing I also very much like Sol Garbetta’s Elgar Concerto which also then aligns fairly well with Rostropovich’s idea of this cello concerto being very much essentially for the young and romantic at heart. Elgar = great uplifting joy
There is also another rendition from Tortelier but with Adrian Boult London Philharmonic Orchestra that sounds quite different from others. I bought it but haven't received it yet. It sounds waltzy, less sad and even playful on some part. I will post it next to the one I just did if the record is not so intolerable.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: the sound of Tao

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Send it back.

Kindest regards,G.

This is a response of a real record collector.....lol

Reactions: zerostargeneral

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
This is another Elgar Cello Concerto album by Paul Tortelier but with Sir Adrian Boult/London Philharmonic Orchestra instead. ASD 2909. Not expensive.

2FAC6153-EB30-4522-A76C-2BACE9C9D833.jpeg

It is a very good album musically and sonically. Not a one side wonder kind of album. On the second side of this album there is Introduction and Allegro for Strings with a solo quartet. It is the orchestral work in this album that I think very very good. I am starting to enjoy more and more orchestra other than chambers that I am deeply into. May be next year I will be listening big symphony..hehe. Anyway I decided to record the second side instead. The sound has very good portray of orchestral scene. The music just flows so well. Excellent depth and hall ambient. The dynamic range still cannot match that of the DuPre/Barbirolli album that the General was talking about. Natural sound. You can read the description of the second side down below.

698580EE-427E-4D03-BD5D-021135BAE555.jpeg

The video is a little long. The music keeps getting better after first few minutes.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Very nice, Tang. I just ordered a copy. Small correction, it's ASD 2906.

Happy to learn you're branching out to orchestral. I predict less than a year to symphonic. :) It's not uncommon for major composers to create such smaller pieces as the Serenade for Strings. And often they are as delightful as their major works, better known. Sometimes we only learn of these through the 'fillers' to larger works. Staying in the British tradition, one such composer that comes to mind is Gustav Holst on the Lyrita label.

What did you think of the Kagan/Richter/Mozart set I saw on your desk?

(btw, ASD 2909 will get you a nice Barbirolli/Mahler 6th LP)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
What did you think of the Kagan/Richter/Mozart set I saw on your desk?

Thanks to you I got another great piece of Mozart violin/piano. My pressing is a French La Voix De Son Maitre which is different from yours. What surprises me is the sound of the venue. I would imagine it had a very tall open with hall reverb sound given seeing the picture of it. Instead the ambient is a bit dark and the air is a tad warm. The presence of the violin is very intimate like you are on the front roll there. But the grand piano somehow is less extended than the violin. I thought it was strange so I looked at the booklet that came with the album and found a picture of Richter's piano with the piano door 3/4 the way closed. I dont know if it was because of that. Mozart music is always joyful to me. Great album with a natural sound of its own.

Tang :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
it's funny, you keep posting things I have on a want list that I will eventually get to all of

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My pressing is a French La Voix De Son Maitre which is different from yours.

Tang :)

That's probably a good thing given how much you hate noise. They're cleaner than UK versions, but a little less dynamic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing