Zero Distortion: Tango Time

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Let's keep this thread clean of pricing discussion, pls. I posted only because I want people to know what records sound good, interesting and could be a useful data point. And hopefully trigger someone to recommend some music that I could be interested in like Kodomo, Tima and G did.

So.. please.

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry tang that was just banter

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I really enjoy these recommendations and I like hearing them through your systems phone videos, gives me a clue about the pressing.You recommendations and the general attitude in this topic is towards older recordings but there are some relatively new recordings and performances that I like. You may already have them, but if you do not here is an example recommendation for you.

Nojima - Nojima plays Liszt - Reference Recordings Half Speed mastered 45rpm

Reactions: christoph

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I really enjoy these recommendations and I like hearing them through your systems phone videos, gives me a clue about the pressing.You recommendations and the general attitude in this topic is towards older recordings but there are some relatively new recordings and performances that I like. You may already have them, but if you do not here is an example recommendation for you.

sigh. sorry to say the 45 is a digitally sourced (176/24) pressing and was a disappointment to me. this recording is a long time reference, so i really was looking forward to the 45 as a step up from my 33. however; i prefer the original 33 rpm pressing, or the 176/24 file, to this 45. the CD is really good too.

and i'm a huge 45 rpm pressing fan.......but......not this time.

great music, wonderfully played, highly recommended.

my TP-019 Tape Project 15ips 1/4" is the best, but the original pressing is fairly close.

original 33 rpm pressings on Discog;

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/3392691?ev=rb

Last edited:
Reactions: kodomo

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks for the recommendations on music. I do follow and stream where possible. Virtually any classical composer with a surname starting with the letter B is usually good for me of which the B triple Bach, Beethoven and Brahms wins extra points but have now expanded my taste to include composers who have surnames that start with the letter S as well... including Shopan and Shachmaninov.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

I have this Nojima. But I don't remember if I have the 33 or 45. I surely hope we do not limit our musical exploration only to old recording. What sounds good sounds good regardless of period or how they were recorded. I do like some digital recordings too. It depends more on musical performance and sq of the vinyl. I will take a digital recording any day if an analog one no matter how great it is has an unbearable surface noise. The latest shipment from the General included one vinyl that was digitally restored from the old master tape. I listened to it and was stunned, ended up listening to the whole album. Any down side to it? Yes. The violin sounds super clear with all energy, rise, fall, details, texture, while still has that reminiscence of 1950's recording but it is too damn space quiet and neat which could never happened to a recording back then. If I were critical of it. I would say It did not have that "air" which to me is that last bit of what makes most realistic sounding. Do I like it? Yes I like it. It sounded captivating. Somehow it left me wonder and boosted my interest in hearing the digital rig of MikeL.

Kind regards,
Tang

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks for the recommendations on music. I do follow and stream where possible. Virtually any classical composer with a surname starting with the letter B is usually good for me of which the B triple Bach, Beethoven and Brahms wins extra points but have now expanded my taste to include composers who have surnames that start with the letter S as well... including Shopan and Shachmaninov.

... S triple: Shostakovich - Shubert - Stravinsky (Shopan? You mean Chopan? ...Chopin). :)
(Shachmaninov? You mean Rachmaninoff?) :)
* Bonus: Schumann

C triple: Chabrier - Chopin - Copland.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Bob you got the S triple perfect! ... and in the right order as well. Very cool.

The C triple is actually Chopin - Chopin - Chopin.

Reactions: NorthStar

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It's like London property prices. We need a repricing so that the younger generation can get in, otherwise they will be left out forever. Let's say I will be doing a good deed
I thought Tang was the younger generation !:rolleyes:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Let's keep this thread clean of pricing discussion, pls. I posted only because I want people to know what records sound good, interesting and could be a useful data point. And hopefully trigger someone to recommend some music that I could be interested in like Kodomo, Tima and G did.

So.. please.

Tang
Please Tang continue to show good recordings and performances.
I try to find those Albums in Qobuz or Tidal and learn a lot from this :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Sorry for the noob question but would the following CD box be a good start to dive more intensely into classical music?
Screenshot_20190406-120006.png

Dear Tang, if you find this question not suitable in your thread, please tell me and I remove the posting.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Sorry for the noob question but would the following CD box be a good start to dive more intensely into classical music?

Dear Tang, if you find this question not suitable in your thread, please tell me and I remove the posting.

i'm not Tang, but own plenty of those (covers 27 'Tidal' discs, or 54 CD's if you bought the physical package) recordings analog or digitally, and you could do much worse than to start there as a 'dip your toe into classical' approach. if you already have Tidal then jump right in.

as an alternative 'one stop shop' for those not using Tidal i'd also consider the set of RCA Living Stereo digital remasters which i own most of on SACD (and own many on 33 and 45 vinyl and are 'go to' long time references) and have ripped the files now to dsd files. they can be acquired as CD's, SACD's and files. similar to the Decca's in overall quality of recording and performance. note i'm no classical music expert and my performance comments relate to what i like.

but Tidal makes it so easy with this Decca Sound collection why not do it?

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
i'm not Tang, but own plenty of those (covers 27 CD discs) recordings analog or digitally, and you could do much worse than to start there as a 'dip your toe into classical' approach. if you already have Tidal then jump right in.

as an alternative 'one stop shop' for those not using Tidal i'd also consider the set of RCA Living Stereo digital remasters which i own most of on SACD (and own many on 33 and 45 vinyl and are 'go to' long time references) and have ripped the files now to dsd files. they can be acquired as CD's, SACD's and files. similar to the Decca's in overall quality of recording and performance. note i'm no classical music expert and my performance comments relate to what i like.

but Tidal makes it so easy with this Decca Sound collection why not do it?
Hi Mike
Thanks for your answer.
I have Qobuz and Tidal.
So this Decca 54 CD box is a good starting point?
Or are there better, more condensed collections or even single Albums one should listen to? I mean from a sound AND performance POV.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike
Thanks for your answer.
I have Qobuz and Tidal.
So this Decca 54 CD box is a good starting point?
Or are there better, more condensed collections or even single Albums one should listen to? I mean from a sound AND performance POV.

as i said, i'm no classical music expert beyond the fact i own tons of it and listen 70% of the time to classical. my classical tastes certainly evolved over time so my view would be that this Decca set or the RCA's i mentioned would be an excellent starting place. these are consistently outstanding recordings. and i think it's important to take your time and dwell on the music for a time. so just a sampler disc or three would not be the approach i would take. there is no hurry. if you like a particular composer that this set presents to you, then use Tidal to explore that composer from other Tidal recordings. this is what i did back in the day but by buying CD's or vinyl.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing