Audiogon's new face

Does anybody know who is the owner /operator of audiogon , i would never run a site that way , i would either close it or put some new software guys on top of it straight away.
Million dollar question , is the gon operated from a garage as well????

Last edited:
Scams are running rampant as well, I had three inquiries on a product listed last week... all 3 were scams... welcome to the new agon.

It is time to move on!

Talk about mismanagement, I thought our government may have took it over the site.

I really cannot tolerate Agon any more. Gives me a headache to look at it now. But, I still love to look at gear!

Scams are running rampant as well, I had three inquiries on a product listed last week... all 3 were scams... welcome to the new agon.

It is time to move on!

Talk about mismanagement, I thought our government may have took it over the site.

Out of curiosity, did you report the spamming?

Out of curiosity, did you report the spamming?

Yes, but I have not heard back from them. At this point,,,,, I will not be doing business on agon. Buying or selling! The future, we shall see how this all shakes out.

I agree with MarinJim, the site give me a headache as well.

I have been off since many folks I know have had to start from scratch after being infected with some Trojan horse or virus I do not even understand. Too many folks have had to start their computer back from scratch [including the operating system] that I haven't even logged on in some time. It seems that whenever I hear it's safe? Someone else has to start their computer from scratch. The problem isn't widespread but it is there and apparently, one dos not have to scroll over a link or advertisement to get said virus.

When folks on FF or IE stop having said issue, I might log back in.....if and only if, my log in password is "safe", so they claim.

Yes, but I have not heard back from them. At this point,,,,, I will not be doing business on agon. Buying or selling! The future, we shall see how this all shakes out.

I agree with MarinJim, the site give me a headache as well.

Sad thing is that I think Audiogon's current state will have real repercussions throughout the industry :( Unless someone else steps up but then again it will take forever for them to build some street cred.

maybe good reason to bring our buying and selling to gearsomniac.com. site is owned and managed by an audiophile friend who is in the IT field.

Gearsomniac Bazaar is much better than Agon-- you can have embedded videos/pictures in your ads, search using Zipcodes, much faster interface and best of all--- it's free!

maybe good reason to bring our buying and selling to gearsomniac.com. site is owned and managed by an audiophile friend who is in the IT field.

Gearsomniac Bazaar is much better than Agon-- you can have embedded videos/pictures in your ads, search using Zipcodes, much faster interface and best of all--- it's free!

Looking good, but right now it is so tiny. It might need about 2k more members. But wish it the best!

Interesting thoughts from a former Audiogon employee. This is taken from the Audiogonsucksnow blog:

"Hey guys,

Just wanted to post in here as a previous part of this company, I was listening to your suggestions and complaints. When I told those in charge what I thought we should do it fell on deaf ears. No one there cares what you want. It’s all about the all mighty dollar. Before the new site there would eb 15,000 listings at any given time. That is now down to 5,000 and what is there is not selling like it once would have. I think if you wish to keep your community someone should come up with another site. This isa golden opportunity. You guys know the functions and features you want. Get together and create it! Best of luck!"

Interesting thoughts from a former Audiogon employee. This is taken from the Audiogonsucksnow blog:

"Hey guys,

Just wanted to post in here as a previous part of this company, I was listening to your suggestions and complaints. When I told those in charge what I thought we should do it fell on deaf ears. No one there cares what you want. It’s all about the all mighty dollar. Before the new site there would eb 15,000 listings at any given time. That is now down to 5,000 and what is there is not selling like it once would have. I think if you wish to keep your community someone should come up with another site. This isa golden opportunity. You guys know the functions and features you want. Get together and create it! Best of luck!"

What's Best Audio Marketplace ??? :cool:

In spite of all of the recent Audiogon problems creating something new is tantamount to David taking on Goliath. It's tough to break old habits, audiogon being one of them where people look to first

I hear ya Steve. You would need a big bottle of aspirin for all the headaches that would be sure to come...

I hear ya Steve. You would need a big bottle of aspirin for all the headaches that would be sure to come...

In spite of this (which IMO is the biggest hurdle) if you build it (correctly, like the old site BUT better) they will "hopefully" come. That is the $64 question

Software will either break you or make you money hand over fist. IMHO taking software that isn't mature,live too soon is the kiss of death. Beta testing isn't long enough usually and if your support is lacking you get a total cluster@%#*. That's my experience.

Software will either break you or make you money hand over fist. IMHO taking software that isn't mature,live too soon is the kiss of death. Beta testing isn't long enough usually and if your support is lacking you get a total cluster@%#*. That's my experience.

Mine too

Nice to see you again Gary

In spite of this (which IMO is the biggest hurdle) if you build it (correctly, like the old site BUT better) they will "hopefully" come. That is the $64 question

First post here in WBF, and I apologize in advance if this comes across as too salesy but I'm the founder of that website that Dimfer mentioned above.

Steve, if audiophiles gave our classifieds bazaar a chance we'll definitely listen to what they want and strive to exceed their expectations. Our business model isn't based on classifieds revenue, instead we're hoping to build something like a LinkedIn across hobbies and, at the same time, professionalize hobbyist relationships and dealings. With a social network as a base, I believe-- to use an example where we're trying to be "better"-- that the popular mechanism using sales feedback is a little dated.

Instead we'll soon have each ad showing the relationship between viewer and seller where, in effect, even if the seller and buyer might only have one friend in common, but that common friend is *you* then they might feel comfortable enough to proceed with the transaction regardless how new they are on site. We're also advocating a "real name culture" so trolls / scammers can easily be identified-- chances are, they won't have any friends :)

Since we're hobbyists as well we know those features we want and we're offering these for free no less! That said, there's definitely a chicken-and-egg / critical-mass challenge that can only be overcome one person at a time. So I'm hoping by allowing me to speak in this thread that we gain a little bit more visibility.

Thanks and best wishes,
Tito Mijares

The old site looked pretty old fashioned any way , its time for audiofacebook.
A more business styleapproach with easy systembuild and uploadfacilities would be great

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing