Audiogon's new face

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
It is still possible to bypass them. When I listed my VPI record cleaner, I got an offer of $1.00 so that the buyer could include a comment -- which was his phone number. I let my ad expire. After I posted another ad, and then tried to "edit " it, the ad completely dissappeard so I had to start over and was charged another listing fee and no matter what I wrote to Agon, they just sent me canned responses.

The problem is, many/most/all of us buy and sell used audio gear and there is no way to do so without Agon.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It is still possible to bypass them. When I listed my VPI record cleaner, I got an offer of $1.00 so that the buyer could include a comment -- which was his phone number. I let my ad expire. After I posted another ad, and then tried to "edit " it, the ad completely dissappeard so I had to start over and was charged another listing fee and no matter what I wrote to Agon, they just sent me canned responses.

The problem is, many/most/all of us buy and sell used audio gear and there is no way to do so without Agon.

Right now. But if the fellow from StereoList ever got his act together.....

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
As someone who's got the goods for doing something like this, what's wrong with Stereolist, what was right with Audiogon, etc, etc ...

Frank

Nothings wrong with Stereolist except no one seems to know about it :( There's not a whole lot of traffic or interest, esp. compared to the same ad placed on Agon. Maybe people will turn to SL now that Agon is a viral infection waiting to happen.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Myles,

My first feedback comments at Audiogon are now more than 10 years old, and of reasonable quality and quantity. People trust me and I know many of the sellers from long time. Buying from the net is most of all a trust and confidence act and It will take a long time before any new site has a similar track record.

I still hope that will fix Audiogon.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles,

My first feedback comments at Audiogon are now more than 10 years old, and of reasonable quality and quantity. People trust me and I know many of the sellers from long time. Buying from the net is most of all a trust and confidence act and It will take a long time before any new site has a similar track record.

I still hope that will fix Audiogon.

Very, very good point. Some have to learn the hard way :(

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles, how come that record from your avatar doesn't spin? :b

* Click on the word AVATAR at the bottom of my sig.

LOL...with my luck it would spin backwards ;)

moonman54

Jan 11, 2012
Hamden, CT
Yes, the search functions are improved. I still find it to be a bit slow, though. Also, I got a scam offer from England yesterday, offering to wire me money for my Linn Axis turntable and then asking for the usual bank information, but also wanting my mother's maiden name, driver's license number, and date of birth. Yeah, sure! Then, just watch your bank account get cleaned out. He had zero feedback. I read on Audio Asylum General Forum that people have also been seeing a lot of scam for sale ads from England. So, they do not have their protection up to prior standards.

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
I got the same offer but the "buyer" didn't say where he was from. He just needed ALL of my info so he could send me a certified check.

I sent them a email earlier tonight with a few complaints and suggestions. To my surprise, they sent me a reply about a hour later thanking me for my email and addressing my concerns and comments. Maybe they are finally starting to turn things around.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
They're getting there. They need to attend to the critical issues first, namely responsiveness. The levels of scamming seem very high since the new software was put up. They say to e-mail the member name and they'll kill it immediately. So these scammers are signing up as new members to get in, and somehow more are doing this than before.

Anyway, if you read their blog, they're making steady progress. There was a slight drop in traffic on Valentine's Day. :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
They're getting there. They need to attend to the critical issues first, namely responsiveness. The levels of scamming seem very high since the new software was put up. They say to e-mail the member name and they'll kill it immediately. So these scammers are signing up as new members to get in, and somehow more are doing this than before.

Anyway, if you read their blog, they're making steady progress. There was a slight drop in traffic on Valentine's Day. :)

Ummmm....Nick if you believe their blog, everything is hunky dory. That's far from the truth. People d/l viruses, getting scammed to me are two of the most important issues. Without that, they don't have a business.

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
Ummmm....Nick if you believe their blog, everything is hunky dory. That's far from the truth. People d/l viruses, getting scammed to me are two of the most important issues. Without that, they don't have a business.
Agreed. I barely notice any difference between now and several weeks ago. All the MyPage stuff is hosed in one way or another. Selling is a real chore. They should be really embarrassing themselves.

I've never hit a virus yet, but then I don't use IE and stick in the buy categories pretty much.

--Bill

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing