darTZeel out of business?

I just received from John Stone of Dartzeel America this reply to my email to him:

The company has a deep passion and love for its clients. It is restructuring to make new products and streamline efficiency.

While all companies are susceptible to business dynamics such as closure, darTZeel at present has no intention of closing.

We remain committed to supporting every instrument ever produced in legendary darTZeel fashion.

In North America we have a healthy dealership base to support you. I highly encourage utilizing these passionate, skilled professionals.

www.dartzeelamerica.com

They say there is no negative press and what a shining example this has been for me. I’ve been flooded with calls and emails. Sure some dialog of concerns around value, yet overwhelmingly around the wellbeing of the wonderful company and man who has brought it to us.

So grateful for the outpouring of support.
Maybe now is the time for Jone Stone to bring his DarTZeel pricing in line with the rest of the world!!

Yes, leave it to dealers to defend exuberant prices. A lot of interest in this thread from audio sellers, disclosed ones and under the radar used equipment sellers, like Adam. :rolleyes:

Who is affected by the pricing of luxury products ? If Darts were 1M per monobloc who here is affected ..!

:)

I think everyone on here is way off the mark. Everytime I google “is Hervé going under?” I get a much different picture.

Attachments

• IMG_4319.jpeg
    IMG_4319.jpeg
    474.9 KB · Views: 0
Who is affected by the pricing of luxury products ? If Darts were 1M per monobloc who here is affected ..!

:)
I don't care much about the pricing of Darts, a product i have never been interested in. I don't like the silly path these companies are on, always trying to one-up each other on price, with little real sonic advances for the crazy money :rolleyes: Their second and third tier lines have to be worse for the pricing to make any sense, it's not trickle down advances, more often it's dumb down quality/sound for the lower lines, you pay first tier prices for second rate products.

I don't care much about the pricing of Darts, a product i have never been interested in. I don't like the silly path these companies are on, always trying to one-up each other on price, with little real sonic advances for the crazy money :rolleyes: Their second and third tier lines have to be worse for the pricing to make any sense, it's not trickle down advances, more often it's dumb down quality/sound for the lower lines, you pay first tier prices for second rate products.

I don’t care what companies do either since I react with my wallet but don’t you think MBL, a company whose products you seem to like, are a part of the uber-prived club? Again, I have no issue with what they do but it is hard to avoid these companies if you want a certain class of product.

Whatsbestforum is to me about the hobby of audio equipment. It has little to do with the appreciation of music. There are a couple threads where we show a album cover we are listening too. And many times the album content is about what plays well. Not about the musicians, the meaning of the music.
I wasn't aware of that. I thought it was a hobby driven by music. Put together a system and change when there is a good reason to do so.

Those reasons for me have been mostly change in technology (proper ones like invention of streaming and CD before it) and change of room. I changed my turntable for aesthetic reasons. I've changed components a few times because music I was listening to had something missing with reference to a recent live performance.

I'm pulling a Chopin all-nighter. Having a short intermission, coffee, thinking what to play next ... Steven Hough if he's recorded Chopin at Snape Maltings? Need to search ... no hifi worries.

I don’t care what companies do either since I react with my wallet but don’t you think MBL, a company whose products you seem to like, are a part of the uber-prived club? Again, I have no issue with what they do but it is hard to avoid these companies if you want a certain class of product.
I would never buy MBL new at their current prices, prices have gone up like crazy there too. I wait till a Sheik or Oligarch sells to make room for something else, hopefully i get it before some of the used gear sellers get their hands on it and hike up the prices there too. :rolleyes:

Reactions: SCAudiophile
Whatsbestforum is to me about the hobby of audio equipment. It has little to do with the appreciation of music. There are a couple threads where we show a album cover we are listening too. And many times the album content is about what plays well. Not about the musicians, the meaning of the music.
So the other times it is about the music, the musicians, and the meaning of the music?

This is the ultimate Worlds Best BS , you obviously don't know Herve at all ...

Just my Opinion ...!

Just for your knowledge, Allegedly Herve took schematic of the Studer A68 and made NHB-108 out of it, look at this thread there is schematic of both side by side:

Here is couple of comments from the thread that are illuminating:
Näyttökuva 2024-10-17 kello 10.16.54.png

Last edited:
Just for your knowledge, Allegedly Herve took schematic of the Studer A68 and made NHB-108 out of it, look at this thread there is schematic of both side by side:

View attachment 137975

Again proves how modern tech is superior to vintage ones.

View attachment 137975

As someone noted:

I wouldn't call it a clone when the "original" differs in a number of crucial details, most importantly its application of feedback.

It looks like the NHB-108 circuit was inspired by a classic Studer design. Nothing wrong with it IMO - that is actually more common than you think. He has modified it, put much higher quality components, much beefier PSU and ended up with a superior product.

I don’t think darTZell going out of business will be much of a loss. It’s just another company focused on CNC-machined aluminum casework, with outsourced electronic boards made from off-the-shelf components.

What’s the point of having yet another Swiss company when brands like Soulution, Goldmund, Orpheus and CH Precision are thriving and come from the same origins and manufacturing similar stuff?

Reactions: Bruce B and adyc
As someone noted:

I wouldn't call it a clone when the "original" differs in a number of crucial details, most importantly its application of feedback.

It looks like the NHB-108 circuit was inspired by a classic Studer design. Nothing wrong with it IMO - that is actually more common than you think. He has modified it, put much higher quality components, much beefier PSU and ended up with a superior product.

Well, part quality is not meaningful when we are determining is something clone of something else..
(that is other topic, and yes: parts matter..), schematic and values is. Whats is different is feedback network.

-Is it really enough?

I know there is very little new under the sun when it comes to amplifier circuit design, but i would not feel comfortable claiming that this circuit design is my own..

I can only refrain someone more expert opinion on this:

"STUDER A68 power amplifier (REVOX A740 shared circuit)
It was introduced in 40 years ago about 1977. It according to the Recording Industry standard, the distortion is less than 0.1% .

I start simulate A68 in TINA-TI, and feel the schematic looked a bit familiar . Then I find the Voltage-Amplification-Stage (VAS) is almost same with the darTZeel NHB-108 internet uncovered schematic, there are 12 resistors value all fully equal and the all 4 pairs of transistor structure are exactly the same, only the feedback networks are different."

and:

Näyttökuva 2024-10-17 kello 13.22.58.png

What I take away from the DartZeel owner's message is the official and public recognition by a major player in the high-end segment that the price increases of recent years don't make much sense, either for manufacturers or for buyers (perhaps they suit others). Perhaps the start of a new trend towards lower prices :rolleyes:

Reactions: matsurus
What I take away from the DartZeel owner's message is the official and public recognition by a major player in the high-end segment that the price increases of recent years don't make much sense, either for manufacturers or for buyers (perhaps they suit others). Perhaps the start of a new trend towards lower prices :rolleyes:
Well he is the one selling 1 million dollar founder cartridge. Blaming another company for his failure?

Well, part quality is not meaningful when we are determining is something clone of something else..
(that is other topic, and yes: parts matter..), schematic and values is. Whats is different is feedback network.

-Is it really enough?

I know there is very little new under the sun when it comes to amplifier circuit design, but i would not feel comfortable claiming that this circuit design is my own..

I can only refrain someone more expert opinion on this:

"STUDER A68 power amplifier (REVOX A740 shared circuit)
It was introduced in 40 years ago about 1977. It according to the Recording Industry standard, the distortion is less than 0.1% .

I start simulate A68 in TINA-TI, and feel the schematic looked a bit familiar . Then I find the Voltage-Amplification-Stage (VAS) is almost same with the darTZeel NHB-108 internet uncovered schematic, there are 12 resistors value all fully equal and the all 4 pairs of transistor structure are exactly the same, only the feedback networks are different."

and:

View attachment 137983
what did you expect innovation?
there is very little in amplifiers these days. e.g. Blöhbaum MTA SE tube amp with distortion values at full output like a transistor amp.
or Soulution did some interesting things in their amplifiers. It is perfectly legitimate to refine a good circuit from back then with a little salt and pepper.
the only thing you are not allowed to say is that you have reinvented the wheel.

On the subject of modern being superior, take a good old amplifier, use new capacitors for example and bring it up to the level of the delivery back then (specs) and you will see that the modern is not far superior.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu