finally updated my system page......

The NVS has the best motor/platter configuration to potentially benefit from active isolation.

It will be interesting to get Mike’s take on active isolation on the new table. On first glance it’s unlikely to work as well. It may be different and it may be preferable. Only by trying will we know.

agree Dan. a direct drive turntable has to have already figured out how to eliminate any motor resonance from the platter as a basic thing as it's attached to it directly. it should not be away from the platter attached in some way where it could cause resonance more into the plinth or feet. so no doubt the direct drive turntables would least likely have a problem with active, the NVS with it's raised motor/platter assembly particularly well suited to this issue.

and also agree that the Saskia is more likely not to work, based on the motor being attached to the lower plinth......which was why i handicapped the likelihood of success at 33%.

Mike, to try and prevent this thread being derailed by discussions on details (it's self evident you'll only settle for the most appropriate isolation method), can we maybe move onto why you've bought this tt, and especially pinned yr colors to an idler drive tt? And not to any number of other bleeding edge belt drive alternatives like Vyger or AS?

I suspect there was something in yr Dobbins 301 experience that you've found hard to forget or fully replicate in yr NVS and Rockport DD ownership. Something compelling rhythmically in the idler presentation, that's hard or impossible to find in DDs or belt drives. I know from my experience that my rim drive tt has an insistent quality I can't find in any alternative even up to 3x it's priceband.

It's interesting to think that maybe the majority of people listening to lps in the Golden Age of late 60s to early/mid 70s, were listening to these lps on Garrards or Lencos or Rek-O-Cuts.

Fascinating to contemplate a SOTA idler like Saskia 5 decades later playing these time capsules on vinyl. Streaming can never replicate this bit of the hobby.

Mike, to try and prevent this thread being derailed by discussions on details (it's self evident you'll only settle for the most appropriate isolation method), can we maybe move onto why you've bought this tt, and especially pinned yr colors to an idler drive tt? And not to any number of other bleeding edge belt drive alternatives like Vyger or AS?

I suspect there was something in yr Dobbins 301 experience that you've found hard to forget or fully replicate in yr NVS and Rockport DD ownership. Something compelling rhythmically in the idler presentation, that's hard or impossible to find in DDs or belt drives. I know from my experience that my rim drive tt has an insistent quality I can't find in any alternative even up to 3x it's priceband.

It's interesting to think that maybe the majority of people listening to lps in the Golden Age of late 60s to early/mid 70s, were listening to these lps on Garrards or Lencos or Rek-O-Cuts.

Fascinating to contemplate a SOTA idler like Saskia 5 decades later playing these time capsules on vinyl. Streaming can never replicate this bit of the hobby.

a few pages back i sort of answered this question 'why you've bought this tt' for you here;

https://whatsbestforum.com/threads/finally-updated-my-system-page.28633/page-2#post-590225

if there was a belt drive tt that hit all those points and was also similarly accessible financially it could have been one of those. i was open to it. as always these decisions are partly logic and partly scratching an itch. i've always had a Saskia itch waiting to be scratched. not that many tt's turn me on. some because they are not on my radar.

Reactions: Lagonda
Mike, Vyger in the UK is well under half the price AS would be, and that's with a stellar LT arm included.

This tt is a belt drive that surely ticks every box.

Reactions: bonzo75
Mike, Vyger in the UK is well under half the price AS would be, and that's with a stellar LT arm included.

This tt is a belt drive that surely ticks every box.

it was also on the short list but did not present itself. i admit it did cross my mind and i had thought of calling Bob at Rhapsody. but that never happened.

Sure Mike. Looking fwds to your reports of foray back into idlers. Some people might look skeptically at it all, but we both know idlers when well implemented are yet another unique take on lp replay.

What's the timescale on this thing? At Chez Lavigne imminently, or is Win hewing the first piece of slate as we speak?

At least one person is paying attention.

Sure Mike. Looking fwds to your reports of foray back into idlers. Some people might look skeptically at it all, but we both know idlers when well implemented are yet another unique take on lp replay.

What's the timescale on this thing? At Chez Lavigne imminently, or is Win hewing the first piece of slate as we speak?
I doubt anyone's skeptical about the Saskia many of us are familiar with it and Winn, it's a beautiful turntable! I'm even a little jealous of Mike and wish him many many hours of pleasure from his purchase!

david

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Wow led zep, orchestral, piano, and small scale at Mike's with the best of DDs vs idlers. That should settle it between those two. I heard an excellent 927, now to see how much of the nuance gap is bridged and the drive and timing retained

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Ked, you're maybe the only one here who's demoed the Audiosilente Blackstone. Maybe you can make a basic comparison after you hear Mike's Saskia?

Possibly a good reason to go and revisit Simone soon after returning from Mike?

Blackstone and Saskia are the only serious new idler designs currently being sold, the comparison would hopefully be of great interest to many here.

Congrats Mike--excellent choice-I've heard the TT and very very impressed-far superior to my Shindo 301(Idler!)

In my view the Saskia betters the others mentioned TT chats here I've heard --Vyger, Kronos, Brinkmann's etc.

A small dedicated Mfg' deserves the support for a passion we can all savour-Kudos to Win whom I've met also.

Good Listening,

BruceDsaskia.jpg

Reactions: brencho
Congrats Mike, excited to read about your experiences with this awesome table. Bucket list table indeed.

Spiritofmusic, as to other modern idlers, perhaps at a different price point, but is Torqueo new production as well? Would be fun to compare some of these turntables (including the likes of Garrard, thorens etc).

I can't find a website for this table. Is there somewhere I can find information on the construction and drive method? @BruceD, why is it better than the Shindo?

Ked, you're maybe the only one here who's demoed the Audiosilente Blackstone. Maybe you can make a basic comparison after you hear Mike's Saskia?

Possibly a good reason to go and revisit Simone soon after returning from Mike?

Blackstone and Saskia are the only serious new idler designs currently being sold, the comparison would hopefully be of great interest to many here.

I need to find another system to hear the Blackstone in

I can't find a website for this table. Is there somewhere I can find information on the construction and drive method? @BruceD, why is it better than the Shindo?

please be clear i'm not representing the Saskia II as better than the Shindo. however; the person claiming that, owns the Shindo, and has heard the Saskia II. as the Shindo is a highly modded Garrard 301 (i had one too) i can relate to his opinion.

there is no Saskia website, nothing, nada, zero. other than a few show reports and edgy video's.

i will get Win to write me a product description and details about the Saskia II asap..........so i can stay factual when asked questions. but asap in 'Win' time might not be very soon. and until he finishes tapping my arm boards (for my 2 arms) i'm not disturbing him.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing