finally updated my system page......

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I doubt anyone's skeptical about the Saskia many of us are familiar with it and Winn, it's a beautiful turntable! I'm even a little jealous of Mike and wish him many many hours of pleasure from his purchase!

david

David, thanks.

we agree on many things, just not all things. i know that the Saskia II is your sort of tt. and my sort of tt too.

Reactions: ddk

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike--excellent choice-I've heard the TT and very very impressed-far superior to my Shindo 301(Idler!)

In my view the Saskia betters the others mentioned TT chats here I've heard --Vyger, Kronos, Brinkmann's etc.

A small dedicated Mfg' deserves the support for a passion we can all savour-Kudos to Win whom I've met also.

Good Listening,

BruceD

thanks Bruce. great feedback and i appreciate it. agree on all of us wanting to see Win and the Saskia succeed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
A friend own the Shindo Garrard, he replaced it with a the Audiograil Garrard in a BobC plinth, a popular version in the UK. He said the latter was almost the same level as the Shindo for much lower value, the Shindo was marginally better. However his Schopper TD 124 was far superior to the Garrard in every aspect, and to all the other Garrards I have heard. I just don't like Garrards, they lack nuance, they lack decay, they have a hump in the sound that never goes away, and the big sound is just weird. A 401 I heard was much better than 301s. The 301s seem to be more popular with Jazz and rock guys rather than classical. The EMT 927 that Tang has is so much superior to all these, though not all EMTs are the same. HIs only has nuance as an issue. So I will be surprised if the Saskia is not vastly superior to the Shindo.

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
A friend own the Shindo Garrard, he replaced it with a the Audiograil Garrard in a BobC plinth, a popular version in the UK. He said the latter was almost the same level as the Shindo for much lower value, the Shindo was marginally better. However his Schopper TD 124 was far superior to the Garrard in every aspect, and to all the other Garrards I have heard. I just don't like Garrards, they lack nuance, they lack decay, they have a hump in the sound that never goes away, and the big sound is just weird. A 401 I heard was much better than 301s. The 301s seem to be more popular with Jazz and rock guys rather than classical. The EMT 927 that Tang has is so much superior to all these, though not all EMTs are the same. HIs only has nuance as an issue. So I will be surprised if the Saskia is not vastly superior to the Shindo.

Ked you are on Fire today--Wooo!--Yes the Saskia,Schröder combo I heard was sonically superior I felt to the Shindo-I do agree with
some of your comments but the 301TT has drive--something I find lacking in some lauded Belt Drives. I've heard may incarnations of the 301
and have to say the Shindo Plinth is the Jewel of the plethora of bases for that Model--It seems to smooth and alleviate some of your observations you note. In my opinion no other plinth does the 301 justice--sorry even the Dobbins ,Artisans, Woodsongs, I've heard are as "pure" as the Japanese lacquered ,crafted one--the Uk Cusworth comes closest. Bear in mind the Shindo Platter has major design flaw pointed out to me by Terry at Loricraft and Bob Mortimer (who's father designed the 301)-basically the Hammertone stiple paint covering was also covering the the inner Drive rim of the Platter.:oops:

When I sent one of mine to them for refurbishment --cost me quite a bit extra to have that surface refinished and polished smooth.

Interesting fact-but one Ken S obviously did not think it interfered with the Musical presentation.

Possibly the Jury is still out on that!;)

BruceD

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting why Mike is not getting the Schroeder LT when it is Win's preferred combo. Win loves the Schroeder

Reactions: BruceD

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I can't find a website for this table. Is there somewhere I can find information on the construction and drive method? @BruceD, why is it better than the Shindo?

Well once again show conditions RMAF-I took the Pic--I knew the Lp being played--and I recall -it was a Miyajima cart which I also own.

I tend to judge "drive " the ability to take me on a sonic journey with power -the Saskia delivers that in spades --like I said

The Shindo just lagged behind in that dept.

Anyway all this is purely my indiviual if slightly colorful VERY personal opinion and meant only to be a brief but meaningful memory.

You may find entirely differently after all you only get once chance to make a first impression

It did to me:)

Good Listening

BruceD

Reactions: jeff1225

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Interesting why Mike is not getting the Schroeder LT when it is Win's preferred combo. Win loves the Schroeder

Don't jump the Gun there Ked!--It may be on his buy list for one of the alternate arms

I frankly also rate Frank's Arms --a true gentleman to boot!

Did you know SKF make the Arms dedicated bearings to his specifications?

BruceD

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Big boy normally has his own tone arm guy, tape guy, anti vibe guy, etc. on his side.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Big boy normally has his own tone arm guy, tape guy, anti vibe guy, etc. on his side.

Well he already has Durands. He also has curiosity

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I can't see there is any mileage in comparing a Shindo, or any refurbished 301, 401, Lenco or RekOCut in a Shindo-type plinth, w the Saskia. For a start that plinth is designed for a particular kind of sound. Warm and euphonic. Beguiling until you realise every lp now has the same quality of beguiling. Certainly that's how I heard it when I listened to a Shindo 301 awhile back. Kinda like the idler equivalent of an original Linn Sondek.

The Saskia clothed in 100kg+ of slate is gonna be a neutral truth sayer rather than the euphonically coloured whisperer of sweet nothings that is Shindo.

Right up Mike's alley of: the music, and only the music. The interesting Q is how much more compelling will the Saskia be over the NVS, both will surely be hugely open and informative.

As Ked said, all in the nuances.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you liked the slate-plinthed tts at OMA when you visited? Not the Shindo-type presentation?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, you liked the slate-plinthed tts at OMA when you visited? Not the Shindo-type presentation?

It was an OMA lenco. It also had the Schroeder CB with a special rotating headshell that kind of made it like an LT. It was quite musical. I won't say it was up there with the big hitters but it was more of a musical TT, schopper type.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And the OMA Lenco versus PTP Lenco?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Congrats Mike, excited to read about your experiences with this awesome table. Bucket list table indeed.

Spiritofmusic, as to other modern idlers, perhaps at a different price point, but is Torqueo new production as well? Would be fun to compare some of these turntables (including the likes of Garrard, thorens etc).
Torqueo uses existing RekOCut motor, refurbs, fabricates some new parts, and builds into exotic new plinths.

So, not "new" like Saskia and Audiosilente.

Reactions: brencho

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

That makes you a big guy now with no vibe?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Torqueo uses existing RekOCut motor, refurbs, fabricates some new parts, and builds into exotic new plinths.

So, not "new" like Saskia and Audiosilente.

Do we have access to any pictures of the internals of the Saskia?

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Torque before modified Rek o C,now has difficult to find,so he produce all by themselves ,similar but better in everything.
This is mine T 34 Limited

Attachments

• IMG_3856.jpg
    IMG_3856.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3698.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: brencho and Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gian, the Torqueo is all new? Every component built from scratch? That's impressive at their price point?

Did you not announce once they were creating an uber tt, something about a much bigger motor, or two idlers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing