GrooveMaster II Tonearms

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Yesterday @Jimford house (Tannoy Westminster, Audio Research, PBN 308 Table) we compared the Groovemaster (Aluminum arm wand) to his Origin Live tonearm. We used two VDH XWG Stradivarius carts and listened to the arms on various jazz and rock tracks. We were both aligned that the Groovemaster excellent in all areas (tracking, sound stage, bass and treble) vs the Origin. Impressive stuff for a tonearm not designed to be used with a higher compliance cart like the VDH.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
That's interesting and good to hear, it's widely reported VDH at that level is less than happy in a heavier arm. Dave Crawley claimed most carts work well in his Timestep version when I spoke to him. He gave me the impression he felt that within reason finding a perfect resonance match was overrated, AK from Funk Firm suggested the same.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
Yesterday @Jimford house (Tannoy Westminster, Audio Research, PBN 308 Table) we compared the Groovemaster (Aluminum arm wand) to his Origin Live tonearm. We used two VDH XWG Stradivarius carts and listened to the arms on various jazz and rock tracks. We were both aligned that the Groovemaster excellent in all areas (tracking, sound stage, bass and treble) vs the Origin. Impressive stuff for a tonearm not designed to be used with a higher compliance cart like the VDH.

which model of Origin Live was it?
best
Leif

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

So how does groove master vdh do compared to SME vdh?

Reactions: gian60

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Some arms seem to work with about anything. Others not so much. The FR arms come to mind...

I use the titanium Groovemasters but feel the same...quite good across the board...

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
So how does groove master vdh do compared to SME vdh?
That’s the next test Bonzo. I was surprised wow well the Groovemaster did with the VDH, with the 4pt and other heavy arms not playing as well with the Cartridge.

Also, I can report there have been no issues with the SME sliding base.

Reactions: djsina2

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That’s the next test Bonzo. I was surprised wow well the Groovemaster did with the VDH, with the 4pt and other heavy arms not playing as well with the Cartridge.

Also, I can report there have been no issues with the SME sliding base.

When you visit your tannoy friend again please send me some classical and vocal (ideally soprano baritone type) videos. I like that system based on the videos Ron had put up.

Reactions: gian60 and jeff1225

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Some arms seem to work with about anything. Others not so much. The FR arms come to mind...

I use the titanium Groovemasters but feel the same...quite good across the board...

What's your take on fr64 vs the groovemaster, based on various carts you have tried?

Reactions: gian60

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
What's your take on fr64 vs the groovemaster, based on various carts you have tried?
Good question. I've tried both arms with same carts but have not had both arms on same table. Here is why:
I have (for long) had an FR64S/B60 replica on my SP10mk2 (in stacked baltic plinth). The SP10mk2 is electrically restored but not mod'd. This was/is my lower budget point of reference. I happen to think the FR64S suits well here; its 'sins of commision' iow its well known bloom compliments the somewhat dry Technics. (I have not tried to mod the Technics as imho I would hunt after other more costly vintage DD before spending a lot on mods)

Anyways, I starting playing with the 12" Groovemasters on STST Motus II decks (and quite like this combo). I bought a 10" Groovemaster to try on my SP10mk2 but decided to send it out for a demo first, from which place it has mysteriously disapeared :( so haven't done that compare.

To the question they are similar in that both arms seem to work fine with medium compliance carts despite the high effective mass. I find the Groovemaster to be more neutral overall, and perhaps pulling deepest bass out better. The FR64S might grab a bit more emotion and swing. But I hesitate to say more since the compares have not been on same deck nor very rigorous ;)

Also as I mentioned I have never heard the aluminum version of the GM2...only titanium.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing