Is it "whats best forum" , or what's more expensive

Does the Oppo use a Sabre? Sabres with good transports and first class analog output stages are a potent combination.

Yes. It still uses the Sabre. I just ordered a ModWright OPPO 105 a few days ago. Should get it by the end of the month.

Sabres with good transports and first class analog output stages are a potent combination.

I have a sneaking suspicion though that even valves aren't first class enough in this instance given the horrendous demand for dynamic range presented at the output of this chip. :)

I have a sneaking suspicion though that even valves aren't first class enough in this instance given the horrendous demand for dynamic range presented at the output of this chip. :)

Proof is in he pudding and Jim is enjoying his pudding.

I have a sneaking suspicion though that even valves aren't first class enough in this instance given the horrendous demand for dynamic range presented at the
output of this chip. :)

I thought those posts knew what they were talking about, based on their previous comments. I guess I was wrong. Do they even think about what they say?:confused:

Last edited:
Let's not get personal please fellas. Attack the post not the poster. You all know the drill.......

We are in trouble if a 6sn7 valve is not dynamic enough for a chip with I suppose has rails of +/- 12 or 15 volts !!

Dynamic range has a bit more going on with it than merely the supply rails. Here's a way to do an experiment with dynamic range. Connect the output of a classD amp (with lower than 40V max output) to the input of an Audio Precision and see what happens when you try to take a measurement of THD+N.

in answer to bold, well, yes, noise comes into it too and linearity and speed and such

Yep - linearity is the name of the game here.

I guess I am lost in here, I assumed the chip was putting out an audio signal, not sure exactly where we are talking about electrically and such in this instance, or even if the output of the class d amp is filtered for audio already, etc, so...perhaps you could help us know what we are talking about if you please

The classD amp turns out to overload the AP and compromise its dynamic range. Same thing happens with the output of the ESS chip, except its even more severe because that's much faster edges (though lower in amplitude) than a class D amp. Yes its putting out an audio signal but its RF 'carrier' signal is high amplitude, around 1.5MHz. I've yet to see any analog backend where the 'carrier' signal is filtered out to any significant degree prior to being fed into an active stage.

What measurement would this show up in Opus?

A very good question - the measurement I'm working on the design of :) Multitone intermodulation where the individual tones are -40dBfs or lower and there are a hundred or more of them is my best guess so far. It does need to be a signal with a fairly high crest factor - music-like in other words.

You were indeed mistaken. Posts know nothing - they're quite literally 'dumb as a post'.

Or in some cases "floats like a log".

Yep - linearity is the name of the game here.

The classD amp turns out to overload the AP and compromise its dynamic range. Same thing happens with the output of the ESS chip, except its even more severe because that's much faster edges (though lower in amplitude) than a class D amp. Yes its putting out an audio signal but its RF 'carrier' signal is high amplitude, around 1.5MHz. I've yet to see any analog backend where the 'carrier' signal is filtered out to any significant degree prior to being fed into an active stage.

What happens to that RF noise if the downstream equipment does not amplify it? No audio eq I'm aware of has a bandwidth that high. Does it inter modulate with the audio signal?

What happens to that RF noise if the downstream equipment does not amplify it? No audio eq I'm aware of has a bandwidth that high. Does it inter modulate with the audio signal?

likely the same effect: overload the input stage of the EQ.

likely the same effect: overload the input stage of the EQ.

And what harm does that cause?

ModWright has been doing this mod for a long time. Since the Transporter and OPPO 83 came out. You would think someone would notice a problem if it was significant.

Indeed it does - precisely my point. In my estimation it needs filtering out before being fed to anything active (even an ultra-linear tube), but I've yet to see a design which does that. I would love to be shown one though :cool:

Indeed it does - precisely my point. In my estimation it needs filtering out before being fed to anything active (even an ultra-linear tube), but I've yet to see a design which does that. I would love to be shown one though :cool:

The question is how hard is it to filter out and is the cure worse than the disease? Meaning will the filter harm the signal more than not using a filter? I guess you would have to experiment yourself to know for sure.

Well that's an interesting comment - yet DSD has been around for a decade at least and Stanley Lipshitz noticed there was a problem with it close to the start. Hasn't stopped anyone much yet...:p

DSD does appear to measure much worse than PCM yet some people prefer the sound of DSD. I am inclined to go with what my ears prefer over what the test gear prefers. I have not done enough listening tests between the two to come to any conclusion on my part. Mostly because my current digital source does not play DSD. I do have an old Marantz 8300 universal player that will play SACD's but it's sound quality is not in the same league as my Linn Akurate DS. I could do comparisons on the Marantz but I don't feel it is revealing enough to be a useful comparison.

Well that's an interesting comment - yet DSD has been around for a decade at least and Stanley Lipshitz noticed there was a problem with it close to the start. Hasn't stopped anyone much yet...:p

just compare dsd directly to the tape, or the Lp. then do the same for PCM.

it either is closer to the analog or it's not....of course this requires high level analog as a reference.

i know what i hear. and i'm choosing dsd and 2xdsd over PCM in general. that said there are plenty of great sounding PCM files.

Dunno if the analog filtering on my EAR Acute III is passive before the tube output stage, or whether Tim d'PVC (probably) does active filtering with the Pcc88/Ecc88. Regardless, the Ecc88 family was developed for cascode rf operation and wouldn't think the ultrasonic frequencies of the upsampled audio signal would be problematic. I rather like my Acute, but this is obviously a subjective call.

FWIW,
Paul

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu